Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibration sensor for front door

Options
  • 20-07-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi, my front door has only a sensor that goes off when the door opens. I would like to add a vibration sensor to the front door and maybe two motion sensors, one downstairs and one upstairs. The control panel is next to the front door. Has anyone any idea of a price for such a job and any recommendations for someone in Dublin. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would be a simple swap out for the contact to a combined sensor contact.
    The PiRs would require their own zones and would need to be wired.
    What control panel do you have.?
    Would really need to be looking at whats involved to give you an idea on cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

KoolKid wrote:
    It would be a simple swap out for the contact to a combined sensor contact. The PiRs would require their own zones and would need to be wired. What control panel do you have.? Would really need to be looking at whats involved to give you an idea on cost.

KoolKid wrote:
    It would be a simple swap out for the contact to a combined sensor contact. The PiRs would require their own zones and would need to be wired. What control panel do you have.? Would really need to be looking at whats involved to give you an idea on cost.

It's called HKC secure watch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And do you know if you would have 2 spare zones on the panel?

I don't know that. How would I know

DO you have engineer access?
    If so look down the zones> Zone Types>Zone Names.
    If not open the panel & look across the zone input connections.(there will probably be 6 or 8) If there are cables going into each zone input they are being used. Depending on the configuration it may be possible to merge some zones together to free up some others.
    Again, id really need to see whats involved to be more helpful.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote:
    DO you have engineer access? If so look down the zones> Zone Types>Zone Names. If not open the panel & look across the zone input connections.(there will probably be 6 or 8) If there are cables going into each zone input they are being used. Depending on the configuration it may be possible to merge some zones together to free up some others. Again, id really need to see whats involved to be more helpful.

Thanks I will have a look at it later. So for now can I swap the sensor on the door for a vibration sensor without any trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Yes, you won't need engineering access to do this.

Would you know where I could buy one? I'm in The Dublin 24 area.

I found a place that sells them. One question. When I swap it over how do I know how sensitive it will be and how do I adjust it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    I found a place that sells them. One question. When I swap it over how do I know how sensitive it will be and how do I adjust it ?

You will only be able to adjust sensitivity if you have Engineering code. Would people generally knock your front door? This is the main reason why alot of homes would not have inertia sensor on it.

• Advertisement

Not too many people knock. I tried fitting the sensor but had no luck. There are only two wires going to the magnetic sensor already on the door. But from looking at my other vibration sensors there's 4 wires going in and one looped. Also the vibration is set too low. I did a walk test and have to nearly kick the door in to get it to set off. The fella who fitted the alarm has died since so I can't get any help with adjusting them.

You need to wire the sensor and contact I have series into the same pair. In other word wire one wire to the sensor, the other wire to the contact and then a short length of cable across the other side of the contact and the other side of the sensor.
    What panel do you have and what zone is the front door on.?
    It may be that the door is not set up as analysed or the zone may not have the capability.

I got it working thanks

Advertisement