Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey findings before signing - Bank sale, renegotiation?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I suggested to a friend that I'd post the issues found on a structural survey report they had done on a house they are sale agreed on. Just curious as to how things usually go when a report discloses information such as the below. Is renegotiation a common occurrence? Does the vendor typically correct the issues before signing or is just tough luck and continue with the purchase at the agreed price?

The problem is, the agreed price was just above the next highest bidder and about 20% above the asking price and I'm thinking if my friend kicks up a fuss, maybe they would approach the other bidder and my friend could lose the house? I'm not sure would they disclose the findings to the other bidder too and see if they don't kick up as much of a fuss and if not, go with them?

My own thoughts were that as this is a bank sale, that maybe they would be easier to get down on the price than a private seller at this stage and they would just want to close the sale? Neither my friend or I know what usually happens in this situation, but from looking at the report, it looks like it could be 5/10K worth of work done to get things right?

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll paste the main findings from the report below.
    No Building Energy Rating certificate was provided on the day of survey; however, I understand it has been quoted as having an “E2” rating. Your solicitor will need to confirm the authenticity of the certification by requesting the BER number.

The insulation within the attic space is 100mm of glass fibre insulation – current building regulations require 350mm of insulation.

Permanent ventilation in the walls of the property is poor and will require upgrading. The ventilation does not comply with current building regulations.

All windows throughout are PVC double glazed units. The windows were checked for opening, closing and for rubber seals and were generally found to be in good condition. The windows are fire/escape compliant save for the two downstairs front windows but do not have child safety locking mechanisms.

It is recommended that in the interest of safety the electrical installation should be tested and inspected every five years by a competent RECI electrical contractor. The vendor needs to be queried as to when the electrical installation was last inspected and certified by a Registered Electrical Contractor (RECI) as it is unlikely to have been inspected within the last 5 years.
    Note: A complete electrical re-wire cannot be ruled out depending on the RECI inspection.

Heating is by way of gas fired central heating and following inspection of the boiler and lack of clarity of when it was last serviced I require the boiler to be serviced by a Registered Gas Installer (RGII) prior to signing contracts.
    It should be noted that the copper cylinder pipework and copper joints are severely eroded which would indicate leaks. A pressure test of the entire plumbing and heating system is highly recommended prior to signing contracts.
    Note: The immersion heater is not functioning.

Drains
    All access covers were opened and flows were tested by running all taps and toilets; flows were found to be problematic and I understand there is a history of drainage issues at the property and on this note I have no option but to request a hydrostatic pressure test of the drainage system prior to signing contracts.

There was no test carried out for radon gas emissions. Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. It is formed in the ground from the decay or uranium which is present in all rocks and soils. It’s a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas which can sometimes build up to unacceptably hazardous high concentration levels when it enters an enclosed space such as a building.
    There is a radon map of Ireland indicating the estimated percentage of dwellings that are above the reference level of 200 (Bq/m3). The property region is approximately 5% to 10% above the reference level.
    For a more accurate reading a radon test is required.

Opinion: The property is in 100% sound structural condition in terms of its walls, roof structure and roof coverings; however, there are serious considerations prior to signing contracts as follows:
    • Very poor Building Energy Rating.
    • Insulation within the attic space needs to be raised to 350mm of insulation.
    • It is impossible to investigate the chimney flue lining without the use of CCTV.
    • Cleaning of the chimney is recommended prior to use.
    • Ventilation in the walls of the property will require upgrading.
    • No child safety locking mechanisms to windows.
    • Two front downstairs windows not fire/escape compliant.
    • As the original floors are covered in laminate and ceramic flooring I could not access them for the inspection of wet rot, dry rot or beetle infestation without the permission of the vendor.
    • Electrical certification required; however, a complete re-wire cannot be ruled out depending on the RECI inspection.
    • The gas boiler requires servicing by a Registered Gas Installer (RGII).
    • Severe erosion to copper cylinder pipework and copper joints which indicate leaks within the system. A pressure test of the entire plumbing and heating system is highly recommended prior to signing contracts.
    • The immersion heater is not functioning.
    • Problematic drains (see text above).
    • Dilapidated shed door.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some of them "issues" are non runners with regards to a vendor having to fix them.

Very poor Building Energy Rating. - Its an old house. If the new buyer wants to upgrade items, they can at their own cost. Its like buying an old Cortina but asking the seller to fix the MPG issue, its part and parcel of the dwelling.
    •Insulation within the attic space needs to be raised to 350mm of insulation. It doesn't need to be 350mm at all. There is no way an old house can forced into complying with current Building Regulations for a sale to go through. Where does the vendor stop, upgrading windows, pumping cavites etc You buy it as an old house and I feel if your friend pushes these issues he will loose the house.
    •It is impossible to investigate the chimney flue lining without the use of CCTV. maybe the vendor can confirm the flue is in good order here, or maybe they wont. I feel they may tell you to investigate yourself.
    •Cleaning of the chimney is recommended prior to use. Should they clean the garden, sitting room etc too while they are at it?
    •Ventilation in the walls of the property will require upgrading. If the permanent vent openings are blocked, then yes, the vendor should fix these as it would be a breach of a building regulation or building bye law depending on the year of construction. If the surveyor simply is not happy with the volume of the openings, then that's tough luck imo.
    •No child safety locking mechanisms to windows. Most likely not required when the house was constructed. Again, where does the vendor stop with bringing the house up to current regulations?
    •Two front downstairs windows not fire/escape compliant. No need to be if the rooms escape directly into the hallway with an opening to the garden. Surveyor needs to brush up on Fire Regulations (TGD Part B).
    •As the original floors are covered in laminate and ceramic flooring I could not access them for the inspection of wet rot, dry rot or beetle infestation without the permission of the vendor. that's fair enough. These inspections are visual only. You wont know what's lurking beneath unless the vendor gives permission for opening up works or until you buy it.
    •Electrical certification required; however, a complete re-wire cannot be ruled out depending on the RECI inspection. This is a strange one. You cannot force the vendor into doing a RECI system check on the whole house. If it needs a rewire, then the purchaser has to factor this into their offer for the house.
    •The gas boiler requires servicing by a Registered Gas Installer (RGII). This is ok in my opinion, I would look for the latest service of the boiler myself.
    •Severe erosion to copper cylinder pipework and copper joints which indicate leaks within the system. A pressure test of the entire plumbing and heating system is highly recommended prior to signing contracts. Again, I cant see the vendor paying for this. It needs to be factored into your offer price.
    •The immersion heater is not functioning. If I was a vendor id just say it never worked, and we never used it. If they don't want the house, then the next guy can have it.
    Problematic drains (see text above).This is the only rea concern for me. A survey of an older house, this is one of the biggest and most costly issues to fix afterwards.
    It should be factored into the offering price, but maybe speak to neighbours and ask about blockages over the years. What issues did the surveyor actually notice while running clean water? most blockages will form in the foul system.

•Dilapidated shed door. Non issue also.

I really feel that the surveyor is clutching at straws here. He cannot force a vendor to bring an older house up to current building regulations. Its a bit like asking the AA to view a 2005 BMW 520d and saying that it doesn't meet 2016 CO2 emissions targets, it needs to be upgraded!

Are there any Planning issues or signs of structural issues?

PS : this is not a structural survey. A structural survey cannot be carried out by a proposed purchaser without opening up works. Its purely a visual inspection or a pre-purchase survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wow, that's a really helpful reply! Thanks a million!
    kceire wrote: »
    Some of them "issues" are non runners with regards to a vendor having to fix them.

Very poor Building Energy Rating. - Its an old house. If the new buyer wants to upgrade items, they can at their own cost. Its like buying an old Cortina but asking the seller to fix the MPG issue, its part and parcel of the dwelling.That sounds fair enough

•Insulation within the attic space needs to be raised to 350mm of insulation. It doesn't need to be 350mm at all. There is no way an old house can forced into complying with current Building Regulations for a sale to go through. Where does the vendor stop, upgrading windows, pumping cavites etc You buy it as an old house and I feel if your friend pushes these issues he will loose the house.
    That sounds fair enough

•It is impossible to investigate the chimney flue lining without the use of CCTV. maybe the vendor can confirm the flue is in good order here, or maybe they wont. I feel they may tell you to investigate yourself.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have thought if I was selling a house that it would be up to me to check this so again, fair enough

•Cleaning of the chimney is recommended prior to use. Should they clean the garden, sitting room etc too while they are at it?
    This is something that should be done annually anyway, not an issue

•Ventilation in the walls of the property will require upgrading. If the permanent vent openings are blocked, then yes, the vendor should fix these as it would be a breach of a building regulation or building bye law depending on the year of construction. If the surveyor simply is not happy with the volume of the openings, then that's tough luck imo.
    Is there a required size for the opening? I mean surely a 12mm drill hole from outside to in wouldn't suffice and it would need to be 70mm diameter or so?

•No child safety locking mechanisms to windows. Most likely not required when the house was constructed. Again, where does the vendor stop with bringing the house up to current regulations?
    Won't be an issue for my friend anyway, but if it's not a requirement to sell then no prob

•Two front downstairs windows not fire/escape compliant. No need to be if the rooms escape directly into the hallway with an opening to the garden. Surveyor needs to brush up on Fire Regulations (TGD Part B).
    I can't tell if they do or not, but I guess most houses would so it's probably not an issue?

•As the original floors are covered in laminate and ceramic flooring I could not access them for the inspection of wet rot, dry rot or beetle infestation without the permission of the vendor. that's fair enough. These inspections are visual only. You wont know what's lurking beneath unless the vendor gives permission for opening up works or until you buy it.
    Yup, so a risk that has to be taken I guess, I don't think they'd be happy with somebody ripping up their floors unless they knew the sale was happening

•Electrical certification required; however, a complete re-wire cannot be ruled out depending on the RECI inspection. This is a strange one. You cannot force the vendor into doing a RECI system check on the whole house. If it needs a rewire, then the purchaser has to factor this into their offer for the house.That sounds fair enough

•The gas boiler requires servicing by a Registered Gas Installer (RGII). This is ok in my opinion, I would look for the latest service of the boiler myself.
    Do you mean you would expect to have some indication of last service date and take this into account with any renegotiation?

•Severe erosion to copper cylinder pipework and copper joints which indicate leaks within the system. A pressure test of the entire plumbing and heating system is highly recommended prior to signing contracts. Again, I cant see the vendor paying for this. It needs to be factored into your offer price.
    So you mean it's not something to expect the vendor to do pre-sale, but good reason to try harder negotiations?

•The immersion heater is not functioning. If I was a vendor id just say it never worked, and we never used it. If they don't want the house, then the next guy can have it.
    They definitely want the house, but any reduction in purchase price to get things working properly would be helpful

Problematic drains (see text above).This is the only rea concern for me. A survey of an older house, this is one of the biggest and most costly issues to fix afterwards.
    It should be factored into the offering price, but maybe speak to neighbours and ask about blockages over the years. What issues did the surveyor actually notice while running clean water? most blockages will form in the foul system.
    Yup, this is the big question I guess and the one the surveyor seemed most concerned about. I guess there's no way to determine the cost of repair. I'll get them to query it with the surveyor as to what might be causing the blockage. Could it be something like nappies flushed down the toilet and stuck or something more severe in the foundations that would need digging and pipe work replaced I wonder

•Dilapidated shed door. Non issue also.
    That sounds fair enough

I really feel that the surveyor is clutching at straws here. He cannot force a vendor to bring an older house up to current building regulations. Its a bit like asking the AA to view a 2005 BMW 520d and saying that it doesn't meet 2016 CO2 emissions targets, it needs to be upgraded!

I think he's just highlighting any issues that may be of concern, I guess it's good to get all the comprehensive details regardless of whether the vendor is responsible to upgrade them or not :)

Are there any Planning issues or signs of structural issues?

PS : this is not a structural survey. A structural survey cannot be carried out by a proposed purchaser without opening up works. Its purely a visual inspection or a pre-purchase survey.

There was more "structural" surveying done, but I think it was all just visual maybe?
    Foundations
    The foundations are likely to be traditional concrete strip foundations and I have
    found no evidence in the lower surfaces of the external walls that would indicate
    subsidence.

With respect to pyrite, I have found no evidence as to shrinkage or cracking in the
    lower ground floors that would give evidence of pyrite which usually occur in the
    foundation slab or hard-core filling beneath and is evidenced by floor subsidence;
    however, it can take up to ten to fifteen years or more before the symptoms of pyrite
    become visible and as this property was constructed in the circa early 1980’s pyrite
    is not an issue.
    Walls
    The external walls of the property are constructed in 350mm concrete blocks
    (uninsulated) and rendered externally as described above.
    Having inspected the external wall surfaces I found no evidence of cracking either
    horizontally, vertically or diagonally to the wall surfaces and can say that the walls
    are in sound structural condition.
    The internal walls of the property are solid concrete block, at the lower level, with no
    plasterboard slabs. The internal walls on the upper floor are 75mm x 50mm timber
    stud partitions with plasterboard slabs and gypsum plaster finish. The internal wall
    surfaces did not exhibit evidence of cracking either horizontally, vertically, diagonally
    or at junctions with external walls on the day of inspection and I can say these walls
    are structurally sound.
    Note: Whilst the walls are in sound structural condition it was noted that the
    kitchen window has been blocked up with concrete blocks but has not been
    rendered externally to match the wall finishes. In addition there are two small
    areas of the external walls that require re-plastering; one area is where the
    boiler flue comes through the wall and the other is on the gable wall.
    Roof Structure and Roof Coverings
    Having investigated the roof structure which is a cut roof (not prefabricated), from
    within the attic space, I found the roof timbers to consist of 150mm x 75mm purloins
    with supporting collars and struts to be in sound structural condition with no evidence
    of wet rot, dry rot or beetle infestation.
    There is no permanent stair access provided to the attic space nor does it have the
    benefit of an electric light or does it have flooring.
    The insulation within the attic space is 100mm of glass fibre insulation – current
    building regulations require 350mm of insulation.
    The party wall and the gable wall are constructed in 225mm solid concrete block
    which is carried right up to roof level. These walls are entirely dry with the
    neighbouring wall acting as a fire barrier.

The roof coverings are (Double Roman) concrete roof tiles and from a visual
    inspection can be described as in good condition with no cracks or broken tiles. The
    ridge tiles are also in good condition and their cement mortar is intact.
    Gutters/Rainwater Pipes
    The gutters are fixed to a continuous concrete beam which also runs up the gables;
    the beam itself is in sound condition and the gutters which are PVC type are well
    fixed and show no evidence of leaks as evidenced by no staining to the external
    walls.
    Chimney
    There is one chimney to the property which is constructed in block and supports one
    open fireplace which is not in use.
    The chimney surfaces are in sound condition with no cracking or structural defects.
    From a visual inspection the chimney flashings and soakers which are laid in lead
    are in good condition.
    Note: It is impossible to investigate the flue lining without the use of CCTV.
    Note: Cleaning of the chimney is recommended prior to use.
    Ventilation

Ventilation
    Permanent ventilation in the walls of the property is poor and will require upgrading.
    The ventilation does not comply with current building regulations.
    Ceilings
    The upper ceilings throughout exhibited no signs of water ingress from roof leaks
    and both the lower and upper ceilings show no signs of plumbing leaks. The ceilings
    are crack free and can be considered structurally sound.
    Windows
    All windows throughout are PVC double glazed units. The windows were checked
    for opening, closing and for rubber seals and were generally found to be in good
    condition. The windows are fire/escape compliant save for the two downstairs front
    windows but do not have child safety locking mechanisms.
    Doors
     The Vendor needs to make all internal door keys available.

There is no evidence of rising damp to the floors or to the walls at their lower
    level.
     The laminate flooring throughout can only be described as in reasonable
    condition.
     As the original floors are covered in laminate and ceramic flooring I could not
    access them for the inspection of wet rot, dry rot or beetle infestation without
    the permission of the vendor.

That's more info that was sent, so more infor there on the structural side of things I guess :) Does it sound more like a structural survey now with the foundation info etc added? If not, then what does a structural survey outline that hasn't been outlined above?

Would anyone know how these things usually work? Do estate agents expect some renegotiation and would it be easier to knock a few K off because it's a bank sale maybe? I guess it's impossible to tell the cost of the work without knowing the size of the rooms etc. My friend is asking the surveyor for his guess on the cost to repair.

Again, any feedback would be great :)

It's still not a structural survey. The report highlights that's it's a visual inspection only. He indicated that no signs of subsidence, visible effects of pyrite etc are apparent.

A full structural survey would involve opening up the external walls to see its build up, foundation inspection. The surveyor in this case has assumed as he states it's a visual inspection.

In fairness there's no harm in offering less, deffo try it. But j wouldn't be surprised if the vendor said to take a hike!

One or two of the issues would concern me and that's the drainage and the pipe corrosion, they are the only things that need to be addressed straight away. And even at that, the pipe corrosion may be from leaks many years ago!

That's a bit weird, I actually rang the guy up as my friend was in work and pretty sure I said I was looking to get a structural survey done. Is the report he sent typical of what would be given in response to an estate agent giving a week to get a structural survey done?

This is what the agent sent:
    3. Structural Survey: If you are buying the house subject to a structural survey I will need you to organise this within the next week. It is of utmost importance that you organise this to be carried out as soon as possible. Again if you would like any recommendations please just let me know.

And the above survey is what my friend had done from a recommendation (recommendation was from her friend though and not from EA).

I imagine a non visual survey would be a lot trickier to organise pre-sale if it involves opening up walls etc?

Thanks again for the advice, no harm trying to knock a few K off, will wait and see it's possible to get an estimate on how much the work for the pipes and drains would cost to get everything up to scratch and then maybe approach the EA with an offer based on that and a bit extra to cover some of the other points, may as well :)

EDIT: Aha, my friend got an email back from the surveyor with some more info on prices etc:
    1. Could the kitchen window be opened as it was previously?
    Yes, this window can be re-opened.
    2. Would you have rough idea of the cost of upgrading the insulation in the attic from current 100 mm to 350 mm?
    Approximately €1,200.00
    3. Would you have rough idea on the cost for the upgrading the ventilation in the walls?
    Approximately €360.00
    4. Would you have rough idea on the cost of RECI inspection?
    Approximately €180.00
    5. Would you have rough idea on the cost of complete electrical re-wire if it was needed?
    Approximately €5,500.00
    6. Would you have rough idea on the cost of the pressure test of the entire plumbing and heating system?
    Approximately €750.00
    7. Would you have rough idea on the cost of the new immersion heater?
    Approximately €230.00
    8. What problems did you find while checking the drains please?
    Backing up.
    9. Is there an issue with the internal or external drains?
    The internal drains.
    10 You mentioned the "history of drainage issues"- where did you find this information form and what history please? Could you provide any more details?
    The tenant indicated that the drains required constant cleaning. This information and the backing up of the drains on the day of survey caused me concern and I highly recommend the entire plumbing/drainage system be pressure tested.
    10. Would you have rough cost of the drainage issue resolution?
    This is unknown until the drains are inspected and only at that point can an estimate be put on the resolution.
    11. Can you advise on the cost for the radon gas test?
    For cost efficiency these tests can be purchased for €50.00.

That's already a lot of expense and that's only for the pressure testing of the plumbing and heating system, not even for the new piping if needed. It also doesn't indicate a price for rectifying the drainage issue so this could add a lot more to it, a bit worrying that the surveyor hasn't even indicated an estimated price, we haven't a clue, could it be another 5k, another 10k?

Sorry, forgot to ask a pretty important question on all of this...

Now that a survey has been done on the property and these issues discovered, is the estate agent required by any laws to disclose this info if re-listing the property again or if approaching the next highest bidder?

This would put my friend in a much stronger position to renegotiate if so.

Also, is the fact it's a bank sale putting my friend in a stronger or weaker position given that the estate agent is just selling on behalf of the bank and communication between bank EA negotiator and my friend might be tricky. A bank may be more open to a bigger reduction if open at all, where as a private seller would probably be easier to communicate the issues to, but might be more difficult to get down on the price if you get me :)

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Sorry, forgot to ask a pretty important question on all of this...

Now that a survey has been done on the property and these issues discovered, is the estate agent required by any laws to disclose this info if re-listing the property again or if approaching the next highest bidder?

This would put my friend in a much stronger position to renegotiate if so.

Also, is the fact it's a bank sale putting my friend in a stronger or weaker position given that the estate agent is just selling on behalf of the bank and communication between bank EA negotiator and my friend might be tricky. A bank may be more open to a bigger reduction if open at all, where as a private seller would probably be easier to communicate the issues to, but might be more difficult to get down on the price if you get me :)

No they are not required to highlight these issues to other buyers. They will get their own survey done.

Bear in mind that most of those "issues" are not issues that would stop a sale. Those are just items that the surveyor would recommend upgrading in the future. They are not issues per se.

Still though. What's the worse they can say, no. I would deffo try get some money off, better in your pocket than theirs :)

Brilliant, thanks a lot for all that advice, I'll pass it on and fingers crossed there can be some keen haggling done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How much are houses in the area going for compared to what he's paying? They usually have a low asking and go for lower than its current value. I end up going about 40% over asking on a bank sale but it was still less than similar in the area. The problem with the bank is it's usually take it or leave it, they won't negotiate on the price and just go to the next offer. Still no harm in saying to the EA and see what he says.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure about similar properties in the area, but it sold for 20% higher than it was initially posted for, and about 5% higher than what the estate agent initially estimated it would sell for when my friend went to the very first viewing. There were 4 bidders initially but 2 dropped out when it got to about 10% above asking, then it was my friend and another who brought it up to the 20% higher price so the next bidders max was very close to what my friend is paying, but the next closest to that are a good chunk below, well over what the work would cost. So I'm hoping the EA could think that they could have the same issue with the next bidder once they get their survey done and might be open to reducing the price a good bit below what both my friend and the next bidder placed, just to close the sale with my friend.

I'm not sure how involved the actual bank are on the sale, and maybe the EA will advise them to accept the renegotiated price based on the findings of the survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

How much did your friend pay for this survey? Just wondering as it seems really detailed.

That property sounds like a real fixer-upper. There's not much point in buying it if the cost of those suggested works is scaring him already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much did your friend pay for this survey? Just wondering as it seems really detailed.

That property sounds like a real fixer-upper. There's not much point in buying it if the cost of those suggested works is scaring him already.

By detailed you mean generic copy and paste ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Op to be honest only the drainage jumps out at me, it's not a brand new house. You can't expect it to meet all modern regulations nor does it have too.
    If I was the seller , and you tried to stray from the original offer I'd tell you to take a hike

€280 for the survey. It is pretty comprehensive but as ted1 says, it's probably mostly just copied from previous reports he's done. No harm in efficiency though and it does seem good enough value for everything.

To be honest, it doesn't look like any major problem, as kceire points out, the only concerns really would be the drainage issue and the pipe corrosion. I'm still clueless as to the cost of fixing the drainage though. My friend knew they were going to have to put some money into it anyway based on the look of the place. These findings are of course unwelcome so hopefully some reduction can be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The house was built in the 80's and is been tested to standards that are the bones of 40 years more advanced.

What were your friends expectation? To me it should be obvious that a house that old would need modernization.

You can certainly ask but my guess is that you'll be told take it or leave it, especially as there were multiple other prospective vendors.

Oh yeah, my friend definitely knew it needed modernisation, but the survey did find problems not easily seen by someone attending a house viewing, especially the drainage which seems to be the big one here :(

A reduction will definitely be sought so we'll see what happens I guess :)

Oh yeah, my friend definitely knew it needed modernisation, but the survey did find problems not easily seen by someone attending a house viewing, especially the drainage which seems to be the big one here :(

A reduction will definitely be sought so we'll see what happens I guess :)

Best of luck. Keep us informed.

Hi folks, I've written up a pretty strong reasoned haggle for my friend to send to the EA who has already indicated "they" (the bank presumably as it's a receivership) won't be doing any work or giving a reduction on the price and in the same mail mentioned the other bidder is still interested (even though they were outbid).

So I'm just wondering, if the haggle is successful (it took me over an hour to write 540 words and it's well thought out with some pretty strong points), is it possible for the EA to agree a final price that is below the price of the highest bid from the other party? Also given a deposit has been paid, how easy is it for the EA to pull out? My friend is hesitant to send the mail incase it agitates them (there's no reason it should, other than trying to negotiate harder) and they just go with the other bidder. How easy is it for them to do this at this stage? I don't think they would, but I'd like some reassurance for my friend that it's worth sending the mail.

Hi folks, I've written up a pretty strong reasoned haggle for my friend to send to the EA who has already indicated "they" (the bank presumably as it's a receivership) won't be doing any work or giving a reduction on the price and in the same mail mentioned the other bidder is still interested (even though they were outbid).

So I'm just wondering, if the haggle is successful (it took me over an hour to write 540 words and it's well thought out with some pretty strong points), is it possible for the EA to agree a final price that is below the price of the highest bid from the other party? Also given a deposit has been paid, how easy is it for the EA to pull out? My friend is hesitant to send the mail incase it agitates them (there's no reason it should, other than trying to negotiate harder) and they just go with the other bidder. How easy is it for them to do this at this stage? I don't think they would, but I'd like some reassurance for my friend that it's worth sending the mail.

The EA makes a recommendation to the bank on whether he thinks a higher price can be achieved.

The EA can make or break the sale in a few words along the line of "buyer A offered 5k more, but he now wants a significant reduction due to x, y and z", "Buyer B's offer is ready to go, although lower, a quick sale is envisaged."

If you want to PM me the draft email, i'll give you an independent opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

With respect to pyrite, I have found no evidence as to shrinkage or cracking in the
    lower ground floors that would give evidence of pyrite which usually occur in the
    foundation slab or hard-core filling beneath and is evidenced by floor subsidence;

The floors do not subside in Pyrite affected property-they rise and the Pyrite is in the stone infill not in the slab itself.

!

Thanks again for the replies! I'm not sure my friend wants to be going back to the surveyor questioning his knowledge on pyrite :o Do you think it's safe to assume that pyrite hasn't been used considering the property is over 30 years of age?

My friend received the attached letter from the solicitor and we're both a bit confused by the whole leasehold situation. We both thought that when you buy a property in Ireland, you buy the land and it's yours forever?

In practical terms, how is this different to the "registry of deeds" situation?
    Would there be more complications if they wanted to do any building work or extensions and the likes?
    Who is the lease from and who would she be paying this nominal fee to if it were requested?
    How much may they be expected to pay?
    Is there a chance the leaseholder would refuse to renew it and what would happen then to "owners" of the property, if they can even be called that in a leasehold situation?
    Is there any chance they could be "evicted" from the land for any reason?
    When they want to build motorways etc with houses in the way, are these home owners forced to move and can they refuse to move based on whether their homes are land registry or registry of deeds?
    Can the land be bought outright and if so, what kind of price could this be?

Also, is it reasonable that the solicitor is charging more because of this?

With regards the tenants moving out, is there a risk that they won't do so voluntarily and if so, what happens in this case?

I PM'd kceire and he seemed to encourage a follow up haggle :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The letter refers to an apartment, your op refers to a house, which is it? Apartments are almost always leasehold.

When is the lease up for the tennants?
    The owner should really have them out before hand over

And just to be clear, I always encourage a haggle, but I still think your issues are trivial and that they don't warrant a reduction but no harm asking.

Has the surveyor confirmed that there are no planning issues ie. Planning, extensions, vehicle entrance widening etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

I was present during my survey and felt that, while the property had issues, the overall impression I was getting was that it's structurally sound and we could do a lot of work on it.

A week later I got the written report and it all seemed so negative. It's really hard to know whether to go ahead with the purchase or cut and run.

A family member who's a solicitor advised us to drop out immediately as there are too many unkowns. Our own solicitor thinks that the survey doesn't highlight anything that's not fixable.

How does the average lay-person interpret a survey?
    My head hurts.... :confused:

athtrasna wrote: »
    The letter refers to an apartment, your op refers to a house, which is it? Apartments are almost always leasehold.

This is a house, nothing like an apartment at all. Just your typical housing estate house with a front and back garden. It's strange he mentions apartment alright. Is there a chance he's made a mistake here? Is it unusual for a house to be under a leasehold and what are the implications in terms of the questions I asked above I wonder?
    kceire wrote: »
    When is the lease up for the tennants?
    The owner should really have them out before hand over

Has the surveyor confirmed that there are no planning issues ie. Planning, extensions, vehicle entrance widening etc

There's no mention of when the lease is up and I'm not sure if my friend has had this info yet, but it wasn't mentioned in the letter anyway, only the date they have been served to vacate. I'm not sure what you mean about the planning issues. The structural survey guy didn't mention anything about planning, extensions etc, what would your concerns on these issues be?

This is a house, nothing like an apartment at all. Just your typical housing estate house with a front and back garden. It's strange he mentions apartment alright. Is there a chance he's made a mistake here? Is it unusual for a house to be under a leasehold and what are the implications in terms of the questions I asked above I wonder?

There's no mention of when the lease is up and I'm not sure if my friend has had this info yet, but it wasn't mentioned in the letter anyway, only the date they have been served to vacate. I'm not sure what you mean about the planning issues. The structural survey guy didn't mention anything about planning, extensions etc, what would your concerns on these issues be?

If there are any extensions, have they got planning or planning exempt?
    Eitherway, a Certificate of compliance will be required. Any porch, new construction?

If the surveyor hasn't mentioned it, then its probably all original.

Hey, just to come back to this thread :)

My friend got the keys. There was no budging on the price. The sale went through, the tenants needed to hang on another while before moving out as they were waiting on other social housing to be prepared. The extra time was actually good to have in the end.

It turns out the drainage issue is just down to a blocked trap in the bathroom. Drain inspectors came out and said everything is running fine and just the bathroom sink isn't draining properly, you can actually see gunk built up in the plug hole of the sink. The drain insepctors charged I think only €60. There was fear this issue could reach to thousands if things had to be dug up etc, so all good there.

The cylinder is going to be removed and a combi boiler installed. The electrics seem fine.

There's a full list of plans on this new thread I made so any contributions there would be great to have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Glad to hear they came to a resolution. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement