Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch just stopped working

• 20-07-2016 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, I'm going to have to get my car towed to a garage in the morning to be fixed, wondering if you guys can help me diagnose the problem so I can manage my expectations!
    I just drove my car (an 08, manual, 1.4 petrol Focus, 99k kms) 5 minutes to the local shops and back. On the way there the gears felt tougher than usual to engage, on the way back the problem was more pronounced, and I was really struggling to select a gear.
    Was lucky enough in that I got to select reverse one final time and park up at home, but now I can't select any gear.
    Depressing the clutch is basically having no effect, trying to change gears sounds and feels the exact same whether I press the clutch in or not (so can't pick a gear, get a nice grinding sound if I try to select reverse etc.)
    The feel of the clutch pedal hasn't changed, it just seems to do nothing now.

Before today hadn't noticed any clutch/gear issues.

Am I looking at a replacement clutch, or could it be something smaller?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Do the gears engage no problem when engine is stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

Yes, Just went out and tried. Engine off, can select any gear. Engine on, can't select any gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So either clutch is gone, or there is a problem with clutch linkage.
    I'd rather put on clutch itself though.

Damn. The nearest garage to me is a ford dealership, I always get it serviced there. Obviously they wont be the cheapest option, so I could be looking at how much do you reckon? €800?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The good news is that since it'll go into gear when iff you can stick it in 2nd and drive to the garage, don't do this during rush hour as you'll need to turn the car off when stopped. No idea how much a Ford clutch is but I doubt it'll be 800 even in a main dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Could also be an issue with either the master or slave cylinders for the clutch.

Had a slave go on my car recently and it resulted in the exact symptoms you describe. Fix for me was cheap as the slave cylinder is outside the gearbox - but some are internal and would be a box out job anyway.

The guy who towed it away for me reckoned it may be a cylinder issue alright, the garage reckoned pressure plate after taking initial look. They're working on it today, new 3 piece clutch kit going in. I believe the slave is internal on a focus anyway, so it's major surgery whatever the culprit.

Advertisement