Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethical/organic clothing

• 20-07-2016 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of good websites/shops (preferably Irish) that sell ethical/sustainable/organic clothing? I was scouring British website but the exchange rate is putting me off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Anyone know of good websites/shops (preferably Irish) that sell ethical/sustainable/organic clothing? I was scouring British website but the exchange rate is putting me off.

I've moved your thread here - hopefully you'll get a better response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

People tree, komodo, toast ( not necessarily ethical but id say most of their stuff is). All British based. There is also a shop in Brighton which sell online. Thefairshop.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The exchange rate could hardly be more favourable. That kind of clothing you are looking for is more expensive to produce. Edun is another brand but they are expensive.

Otherwise American Apparel are committed to fair pay for workers and keep their production in USA. I have no idea how true that is. Organic cotton as material is used from H&m to Zara and other brands for some clothes (usually t shirts) but I am not sure how much difference that makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

meeeeh wrote: »
    The exchange rate could hardly be more favourable. That kind of clothing you are looking for is more expensive to produce. Edun is another brand but they are expensive.

Otherwise American Apparel are committed to fair pay for workers and keep their production in USA. I have no idea how true that is. Organic cotton as material is used from H&m to Zara and other brands for some clothes (usually t shirts) but I am not sure how much difference that makes.

But the conversion rate from pounds to euro brings the price up quite high, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

you wont get them cheaper.

• Advertisement

But the conversion rate from pounds to euro brings the price up quite high, no?

If you mean that the Euro number is higher than sterling then yes it is. But because of brexit the value of sterling in comparison to Euro fell, the sterling prices did not increase yet (it is projected that cost of clothing in sterling will go up next year) so at the moment buying in pounds is good value. You also have to keep in mind that you are looking at ethically produced clothing which has higher manufacturing cost so it can't be cheap. Something that costs 100 pounds in UK retailer will cost 130 Euro (or whatever) wIth Irish retailer.

Btw organic material does not necessary mean ethical production and not all ethically produced clothing is organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Fat Face is another one known for ethical practices.
    Sea Salt also use organic materials and are fairly vocal about using ethical practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

meeeeh wrote: »
    If you mean that the Euro number is higher than sterling then yes it is. But because of brexit the value of sterling in comparison to Euro fell, the sterling prices did not increase yet (it is projected that cost of clothing in sterling will go up next year) so at the moment buying in pounds is good value. You also have to keep in mind that you are looking at ethically produced clothing which has higher manufacturing cost so it can't be cheap. Something that costs 100 pounds in UK retailer will cost 130 Euro (or whatever) wIth Irish retailer.

Btw organic material does not necessary mean ethical production and not all ethically produced clothing is organic.

I see what you mean, but I'm a little confused :o If I am buying online for instance and pay by card on a uk site won't it simply convert back to euros when the transaction is processed? :)

I see what you mean, but I'm a little confused :o If I am buying online for instance and pay by card on a uk site won't it simply convert back to euros when the transaction is processed? :)

Yes but converting it to euros at a lot more generous conversion rate than few months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement