Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Outside Living Room Window

Options
  • 20-07-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,
    For the first time tonight the mgmt company have decided to put new bulbs in the lamp post directly outside the living room of my ground floor apt.

The problem is that the lights are not like normal orange lights but glaring flood light type things. The best thing about the apt is that it looks on to water. It's impossible to sit in the living room now due to the brightness of the light. I also don't have blinds/curtains as there was never a need and I enjoyed the view in the evening which is now destroyed.

Do I have a right to complain or do I just need to buy curtains/blinds which I don't have as they would make my already very small apt feel much smaller.

All views/opinions much appreciated!

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,
    For the first time tonight the mgmt company have decided to put new bulbs in the lamp post directly outside the living room of my ground floor apt.

The problem is that the lights are not like normal orange lights but glaring flood light type things. The best thing about the apt is that it looks on to water. It's impossible to sit in the living room now due to the brightness of the light. I also don't have blinds/curtains as there was never a need and I enjoyed the view in the evening which is now destroyed.

Do I have a right to complain or do I just need to buy curtains/blinds which I don't have as they would make my already very small apt feel much smaller.

All views/opinions much appreciated!

Thank you

Buy blinds/ curtains, you can't really complain about light coming in through a ground floor window.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Buy blinds/ curtains, you can't really complain about light coming in through a ground floor window.

Fair enough. It's more the intensity of the light though. A normal light would be grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would say yes, you have a right to complain. Start by approaching the Management Company in a civil manner and ask them can they re-visit the light installation and the bulb used or maybe look at a reflector to re-direct the light from your window.

There is a BS code with regards to light and the effect they have on residential properties, but I don't know it to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Very few people like change, but most get used to it. This could be a good thing

I would consider the greater security, ground floors are easier targets than upper floor ones

If the light is too intense, talk to the management co, they probably would be happy with lower leccy bills with a lower wattage bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Boater123 wrote:
    If the light is too intense, talk to the management co, they probably would be happy with lower leccy bills with a lower wattage bulb.

They're probably LEDs so wattage is a moot point? Management company in my estate recently replaced all the arc sodium bulbs with LEDs and it's like summer above the Arctic circle now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They're probably LEDs so wattage is a moot point? Management company in my estate recently replaced all the arc sodium bulbs with LEDs and it's like summer above the Arctic circle now.

You could be right, you could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Don't see an issue with me mentioning it though as it could be an argument for the OP in getting it changed if the light is too intense.

Glad your management co is so green, not all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Play nicely please!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Yes they are definitely LED. As I said, I've no issue with a light outside my apartment but these are like flood lights and means you have no choice but to close your blinds/curtain to avoid the glare, meaning no longer to have a nice view of the dock at night which is a major selling point. In short, I think it could devalue the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know that here in Germany lights in residential areas cannot be too bright. You can have them measured and if they are over a certain luminance then they have to be replaced. Maybe there is a similar regulation in Ireland that you could use to get this sorted.

Advertisement