Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism on hoildays

• 20-07-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I have my 6 year child on holidays this week and it's a nightmare,every day there is a stressful situation.We are thinking of ending holiday early but not fair on other kids.
    Like to know what other people do with asd child on holidays thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Our youngest is on the spectrum (Aspergers).

We always go self-catering , minimise the amount of hotel time. That way he gets space when he feels stressed. He can remove himself from the noise and people.

If you are there with your partner, you could split up a bit. One of you stay with your child on the spectrum, the other go and do something else with the other children.

Distractions are good too. Our fellow (16) started to have a melt-down in a motorway services in the UK last week. I knew the signs: withdrawal, head down, stimming etc. Thankfully I saw a Krispy Kreme outlet.... The novelty was a big distraction. £5 and 3 doughnuts later (expensive but worth it!!) the melt-down was thankfully averted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The lack of routine and unfamiliar surroundings can be a big trigger for people on the spectrum, add in that their safe spaces are inaccessible and you have a tricky situation.
    So try and establish some home like routine, for the child specifically, be it the programmes they watch, meals they like etc.
    Also, consider physically demanding activities like walks with a backpack for some deep joint pressure.

Advertisement