Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi kettle and toaster promo starting Thursday

Options
  • 20-07-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying the new promo starting tomorrow, ad was on rte 1 earlier kettle and toaster for €44.99. Just turned on Chanel 5 uk and it's on sale tomorrow for £29.99 . Talk about ripping off the Irish .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

About 36 euro, plus our extra cost around 39-40 euro.

Hardly being ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

RossieMan wrote: »

Hardly being ripped off?

Defo a rip off even if you factor in sterling, it's still a 10 er more expensive on one item

Where are you seeing a tenner? It's about 3 or 4 euro maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I thought they meant ten percent, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's €8.09 more expensive.

£29.99 x 123/120 / £.8327 = €36.92

Still a fair bit more expensive considering the original price but that's to be expected as it happens with every product shipped to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hardly being ripped off?

Do you not get it? If anybody charges even slightly less in the UK for the same item, WE'RE BEING RIPPED OOOOOOOFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

endacl wrote: »
    Do you not get it? If anybody charges even slightly less in the UK for the same item, WE'RE BEING RIPPED OOOOOOOFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Must be nice to not have to worry about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Speedwell wrote: »

? This is rip off Ireland section, is,nt it all about money!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Does the OP understand that these promos and prices are decided months in advance?

If you are that bothered, get on a ryanair flight to some UK ariport, pop into a taxi to the nearest aldi & buy your kettle and toaster.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Is it a compulsory toaster?

• Advertisement

It's not even a nice toaster.

Is it a compulsory toaster?

Hmm, I'm not sure what situations would require compulsory toast. "I'm sorry, sir, I have to give you the toast, otherwise I have to charge you the regular price for the breakfast plate." "Happy Mother's Day, Mom, we made breakfast in bed for you!" "If you don't eat your toast, you can't have any pudding. How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your toast?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

castle2012 wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying the new promo starting tomorrow, ad was on rte 1 earlier kettle and toaster for €44.99. Just turned on Chanel 5 uk and it's on sale tomorrow for £29.99 . Talk about ripping off the Irish .

You're not obliged to buy it in Aldi.

As the OP said, the deals are in place long before now so the rate would have gotten better. At the time, the sterling/euro rate would have been worse for Irish customers.

cant accept such a price difference, if it's the case put it at €39.99 , that still gives them a decent profit , it's certainly a rip off if it's 36 euro just over the border and 45 here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Agree 100percent
    Aldi is becoming a bit of a joke .Seems to think the thick Irish will buy in aldi at any price.Sure it aldi it has to be cheap!

Well done to the op.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Agree 100percent

Only 90% in the UK. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's €8.09 more expensive.

£29.99 x 123/120 / £.8327 = €36.92

Still a fair bit more expensive considering the original price but that's to be expected as it happens with every product shipped to Ireland.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Aldi didn't order and agree a price with the manufacturer or supplier in the last few days......when a Euro was trading at about 83 or 84p......

......I'd say that ordered and agreed the price at least 2 to 3 months ago for July delivery. For example on 1 June a Euro only got you 78p - add to that the extra cost of getting it here, and the VAT differential and it doesn't seem like that much of a rip off.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Aldi didn't order and agree a price with the manufacturer or supplier in the last few days......when a Euro was trading at about 83 or 84p......

......I'd say that ordered and agreed the price at least 2 to 3 months ago for July delivery. For example on 1 June a Euro only got you 78p - add to that the extra cost of getting it here, and the VAT differential and it doesn't seem like that much of a rip off.

Stop talkin sense. You'll ruin the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cant accept such a price difference, if it's the case put it at €39.99 , that still gives them a decent profit , it's certainly a rip off if it's 36 euro just over the border and 45 here

Go on, go buy it "just over the border"

There are no Aldis in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the media will start scrutinising these big company's for taken advantage, no wonder the living cost s are so high in this country when some multinationals see the Irish market as an opertunity to fleece customers

Hopefully the media will start scrutinising these big company's for taken advantage, no wonder the living cost s are so high in this country when some multinationals see the Irish market as an opertunity to fleece customers

Problem solved.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4219608/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780844%7CToasters%7C14418671.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once someone puts any scrutiny on it at all, they see there isn't any advantage being taken. Even the pathetic media we have here wouldn't bother with that.

Ireland has a higher cost base. We have higher VAT. And currency rate changes take weeks to months to work through supply chains. You don't seem to understand any of those, though.

Yes I do realise that but I'm speaking from the consumer standpoint.

On Thursday you can buy in Ireland assuming the exchange stays the same for approximately £37 or you can buy up North for £30.

Lets assume Aldi buy the set for $20 on 1 April when €1 = $1. The cost to Aldi that day is €20 per set. Aldi now charge €45 in Ireland to make a profit and cover all costs associated.

Now when Aldi go to pay the supplier for the set the exchange rate is €1 = $.75 the cost of each set is now costing Aldi €26.66. Aldi will cover this exchange rate loss and will not increase the selling price to the consumer as they would have set a selling price months in advance.

Day to day exchange rates won't affect the final selling price to a company but it does affect the consumer.

On Thursday you can buy in Ireland assuming the exchange stays the same for approximately £37 or you can buy up North for £30.

Did you miss the 'there are no Aldi stores in Northern Ireland' bit?

:D

Did you miss the 'there are no Aldi stores in Northern Ireland' bit?

:D

I didn't miss it. The same logic stands to every store eg Argos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes I do realise that but I'm speaking from the consumer standpoint.

Lets assume Aldi buy the set for $20 on 1 April when €1 = $1. The cost to Aldi that day is €20 per set. Aldi now charge €45 in Ireland to make a profit and cover all costs associated.

Now when Aldi go to pay the supplier for the set the exchange rate is €1 = $.75 the cost of each set is now costing Aldi €26.66. Aldi will cover this exchange rate loss and will not increase the selling price to the consumer as they would have set a selling price months in advance.

Day to day exchange rates won't affect the final selling price to a company but it does affect the consumer.

Seriously, you think aldi can spot price? When they have to order in advance, arrange delivery, update the EPOS software, arrange a print run on the weekly brochure (and distribute it) etc etc.

And yes it does affect the consumer - sometimes to their detriment, sometimes to their benefit, but this to my mind is not a rip off. It's the frictional cost of doing business across two different jurisdictions with different currencies.

• Advertisement

Seriously, you think aldi can spot price? When they have to order in advance, arrange delivery, update the EPOS software, arrange a print run on the weekly brochure (and distribute it) etc etc.

And yes it does affect the consumer - sometimes to their detriment, sometimes to their benefit, but this to my mind is not a rip off. It's the frictional cost of doing business across two different jurisdictions with different currencies.

I'm not saying this is a rip off. I'm saying the price is higher here due to additional costs etc.

I'm not saying Aldi are Spot Pricing I'm speaking in relation to the FX gians and losses that Aldi will make and absorb themselves between the price that was agreed with a supplier and when they pay that supplier. I'm not saying that they pass these onto the final consumer.

Advertisement