Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you advocate Linux?

• 21-07-2016 12:35am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Do you advocate Linux to family, friends and colleagues who don't use it? I do drop it in conversation when I have the opportunity, but I'm not an extremist when it comes to Linux :P I set up an account on my machine with Cinnamon DE for my wife when her machine was out of commission. She liked it, but still prefers Windows 10 and all because she's an avid user of Microsoft Office Applications. I couldn't convinence her with Libre Office.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I managed to get my sister away from Windows Vista onto Mint 17 - she finds it fine for her uses and keeps it updated.
    Other than that I don't bother much, it's not worth it, I just accept, now, that Windows, usually, is their choice and try to help if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would say to an extent. More when somebody says to me "I've a crappy PC that is full of viruses, I want to throw it out and get a new one" than "Ditch Windows! It's crap!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Yes, as often as I can. A few happy converts on the list, mostly family. I can't imagine doing my work without linux (*), but I'm forced to have a windows PC, so I have VirtualBox installed.

(*) Lot of data handling, so command line combined with python makes it easy otherwise it would be all click-here-click-there work. LibreOffice is a life saver with command line tool for xls<-->csv conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not as much as I used to ....... simply because I have, for years now, refused to help anyone with their Windows installs. I will install Linux for them, but if they wish to use Windows then they can pay those who will attend to its failings.
    As a result my family members (4) have all changed to Linux because I am available (at no cost) to support them if necessary.
    I probably have about 1 'support call' per user per year on average. They all use a rolling release installed and set up by me, so updates are automatic.
    At this stage I have long forgotten anything I knew about Windows.
    I don't even know what problems most Win users meet these days ..... nor care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Nope can't say I do, people at work seem surprised when I say I don't use Linux at home in fact :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There was a time when people did not have sufficient factual information on which to base a decision. The most promoted attitude was that coming from the likes of Microsoft .... such as 'Linux is a cancer'; Linux is only used by <insert you choice of baddies>; and lots of other such drivel which was promoted for commercial reasons.
    These days there is much more balanced and factual information so, IMO, the advocacy that was required to counteract the misinformation is not as important as it was. Some of the old attitude still remains, but because it is not being promoted like it was it is dying away gradually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Only when it's needed - if someone wants to set up a server or similar. And loads of folk have a Raspberry Pi or two, so there isn't much advocacy needed there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Never thought of using the Pi to create interest in Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Depends on the situation, I have my folks up and running on Mint Debian Edition and they love it, but thats more because their laptop is very old and incapable of running anything bar XP. Outside that, I don't usually bother because it means more work for me when something goes wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Not much anymore unless I'm asked a specific question.

Even then I'll often try to gauge my audience and if the best answer is OSX or some other OS and not Linux, that's the answer I'll give. Blindly advocating something that really won't suit the person for the sake of advocating it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

Yes.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement