Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drumcondra (and Dublin in general)

Options
  • 21-07-2016 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Morning guys,

I'm moving to Drumcondra in a couple of weeks (from London).

A couple of people have told me very different opinions - that it's lovely, "up and coming" etc.. or that it's dodgy and not the kind of area you'd walk around...

Are there any no-gos or specific streets to look out for?

Don't know where I'll be working yet, so no idea what my commute will be like. Will likely get a car though, so what's traffic in the area like?

We're massive foodies too - anything good in the area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LOL at Drumcondra not being the sort of area you walk thru. It's one of the nicest and safest suburbs on the northside. Lived there growing up and I honestly cannot think of a single street in the area that I wouldn't walk down at nice wearing a giant diamond necklace with a wallet full of €50s.

Where are you working? Drumcondra is one of the main traffic arteries into the city centre so can be a bit of a 'mare at rush hour.

Food wise there's a great selection of restaurants and coffee shops all thru the suburb now.

It's one of the better areas in Dublin to be :)

...also, I don't know who describe Drumcondra as "up and coming" - it's been around for a long ass time as a nice place to live.

Speak to better people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Id echo what was already said - I lived on St Columbas Road for a year and loved it. It has nice bars, takeaways, grocery shops and its a friendly area. The biggest inconvenience for some is overcrowding on big GAA days, but its the further thing from dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 krudmonkey

thanks a million for the response guys - making me feel better already! :)

am on the job hunt at the moment so no idea where I'll be working. I'm quite clueless about Dublin tbh, what's the public transport like in Drumcondra? (more specifically, Distillery Road).

after 6 years in London I'm looking forward to things like being able to stroll along the beach at the weekends and explore Dublin properly!

krudmonkey wrote: »
    thanks a million for the response guys - making me feel better already! :)

am on the job hunt at the moment so no idea where I'll be working. I'm quite clueless about Dublin tbh, what's the public transport like in Drumcondra? (more specifically, Distillery Road).

after 6 years in London I'm looking forward to things like being able to stroll along the beach at the weekends and explore Dublin properly!

be careful on distillery road - a news story broke a couple of days ago about how a large number of the apartments aren't fire compliant and will get ripped apart shortly

do you have any more information on where you were looking?

the distillery lofts complex is amazing - actually lived there 2 years and probably the most stunning loft style apartments i've seen outside of new york (..I'm not joking)

public transport from distillery road is excellent - you're 10/15 minute walk from the dart line, 10 minute from the maynooth train line and 5 minutes from buses

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Distillery road is 5 minutes from Drumcondra road which is one of the main arteries of the city, as a result you can get buses to almost anywhere. There's also Drumcondra Train station, the trains only go City Centre - Maynooth, but you can link up with the DART in the city centre.

You'll be quite close to Croke Park, so be prepared for it to get mental on big match days and concerts, but other than that, Drumcondra is grand. Been living there myself for the last while and am very happy with it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Our place is in the Corn Mill apartments, which seem lovely.

I'll probably come back to you guys with questions once I know where I'm working :)

Sorry for another negative question, but I've heard the red luas line is really dodgy... is that true?

I'll hopefully have a car, but working out how to navigate the city at the moment!

Our place is in the Corn Mill apartments, which seem lovely.

I'll probably come back to you guys with questions once I know where I'm working :)

Sorry for another negative question, but I've heard the red luas line is really dodgy... is that true?

I'll hopefully have a car, but working out how to navigate the city at the moment!

It's as dodgy as a metro to a suburb in paris or a subway out of new york.

During the day time commuter rush it'll be too packed for anyone to pull a knife on you anyway :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Truthfully it can be unpleasant at times, you can get scrotes and junkies causing hassle. Never had any major trouble myself on it but I've heard plenty of negative experiences.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Truthfully it can be unpleasant at times, you can get scrotes and junkies causing hassle. Never had any major trouble myself on it but I've heard plenty of negative experiences.

I've never had an issue in the city centre on it, though admittedly I rarely go beyond Heuston.

OP I'm sure you've gathered this already but Drumcondra is absolutely fine. I live in Glasnevin which is very near by and I walk home from the city at all hours, never had an issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I used to live in Drumcondra a good few years ago and currently live in Glasnevin but regulary go through Drumcondra on my way to/from work. The place is fine and perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lol, Drumcondra is not 'up and comming' it has been a well established nice place to live for 100 years. Regarding the luas, the honor system of payment means you get junkies and the odd scumbag but aside from being loud, they aren't any hassle.

You have solid bus lane between the city centre and Drumcondra with frequent buses so it's pretty reliable, you also have Drumconrda station.

The red luas is fine. You get the odd junkie or scumbag but aside from being loud the aren't any hassle. If you are coming from London it won't be anything you haven't seen 100 times before.

this thread has made me very happy :D genuinely, my excitement about moving to Dublin has quadrupled!

can't wait to explore restaurants, pubs and coffee places :)

cheers for all your advice and reassurance guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I'd echo all of the above, we moved into the area two years ago and it's perfectly safe

Some nice foodie places:

Anderson's
    http://www.andersons.ie/andersons-caf%C3%A9-and-creperie.html

Lovely food company
    http://www.lovelyfood.ie/drumcondra.html

bread and butter
    http://breadandbutter.ie/

Le petit breton
    http://www.lepetitbreton.ie/

Nelly's
    http://nellysdublin.com/

I really like Wallace's Taverna on Russell Street too
    http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/?page_id=337

A bit further up the road in Glasnevin there's a brilliant food market on Saturdays:
    http://www.honest2goodness.ie/the-market.aspx

Over on the Fairview side there's some good options too, like
    http://www.kennedysfoodstore.com/

And further up in Clontarf you'll be spoiled for choice; Bay, Moloughney's, Kinara, Pigeon House

Enjoy!

A bit further up the road in Glasnevin there's a brilliant food market on Saturdays:

Was there for the first time on Saturday, couldn't believe the place. Will definitely be going back every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

It's definitely not pleasant, and you will see (and hear!) lots of junkies and drunks on the tram itself and at any of the city centre stops between Heuston and Busaras. They make a LOT of noise and fall around the place but are generally fairly harmless. I used to commute on it daily and saw lots of nasty stuff but was never harmed myself. I would not use it unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I use the Luas regularly and have never seen anything bad. I'd happily use it instead of the bus service I usually use.

Any "trouble" is even less likely to happen at peak times when it's practically all commuters.

I'm not saying others are lying, it's just that I've never felt unsafe or uneasy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yes, people saying that they wouldn't use the luas red line unless absolutely necessary are going a bit over the top, in my opinion. It certainly isn't pleasant, I had a scumbag start chatting away to me in an attempt to distract me from the fact that he was trying to rob my handbag recently. Just exercise caution like you would anywhere and you will be fine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

in the North Strand is also good. Really good value lunch special at 8.50 for two courses.

The older Da Mimmo premises seems to be serving coffee and some sort of pizza base based sandwiches. I did see the name of them but for the life of me I can't remember it.

**edit***
    Checked when I was passing. They are called piadini. Haven't tried one yet but they look nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Moved to Drumcondra ourselves last September after 5 years in London (we never met at a London boardsie night no?). Lived in Hackney in London so found Drumcondra a bit quiet. It's very safe, gets a bit busy on match days but really nothing like I imagined. You're as close to town really for eateries and good coffee (altho Two Boys Brew and Bang Bang in Phibs do the best coffee around tbh). The community hub by the station has a gym, classes and a sporadic market. Partner cycles to work, I get a bus as work 30km away and decided to forgo the car! Happy to help out if you'd any specifics and sure holler for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

I used to live in Drumcondra a few years ago. There were two restaurants that we liked across from the Skylon hotel. One was a thai restaurant called Chilli Banana and the other was an Italian called Il Corvo. I'm sure Il Corvo is still there, not sure about Chilli Banana. Liked Drumcondra area overall. Pretty safe and good transport links to the city centre. Also where you are must be within a 20 minute stroll of o Connell street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

munster87 wrote: »
    I used to live in Drumcondra a few years ago. There were two restaurants that we liked across from the Skylon hotel. One was a thai restaurant called Chilli Banana and the other was an Italian called Il Corvo. I'm sure Il Corvo is still there, not sure about Chilli Banana. Liked Drumcondra area overall. Pretty safe and good transport links to the city centre. Also where you are must be within a 20 minute stroll of o Connell street

Both still there. I personally think the area is lackin a nice pub, not a fan of Fagans or the newly opened but exactly the same Whitworth, Kennedys, McGraths and Quinn's are very GAA heavy. But saying that I'd go to town. Back Page is grand, don't see what all the hype is about but it's a handy spot to meet people in. Would be nice to see something fresh in the Botanic...lying empty a while now.
    Friend of mine also recommends IlCorvo and a place Resteraunt 104? Forgot to mention the beautiful Griffith Park which I didn't realise was there for quite a long time... lovely spot for a stroll.

Both still there. I personally think the area is lackin a nice pub, not a fan of Fagans or the newly opened but exactly the same Whitworth, Kennedys, McGraths and Quinn's are very GAA heavy. But saying that I'd go to town. Back Page is grand, don't see what all the hype is about but it's a handy spot to meet people in. Would be nice to see something fresh in the Botanic...lying empty a while now.
    Friend of mine also recommends IlCorvo and a place Resteraunt 104? Forgot to mention the beautiful Griffith Park which I didn't realise was there for quite a long time... lovely spot for a stroll.

Gravediggers! Best of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

People have this notion that the Northside is entirely working class. Yet Glasnevin and Drumcondra has extremely wealthy residents. Im talking several people with €15/20 million sitting in their bank account. There are homes in Glasnevin/Drumcondra that sell for well over €1million euro. Drumcondra doesnt even really have social housing (there is a tiny amount for OAPs). There are some streets that were considered less desirable than others due to the streets mainly being flats aka pre-63s eg Whitworth Road and Hollybank Road. But a lot of those houses are now entirely family homes

Drumcondra is your typical boring middle / upper middle class suburb. The train is also super handy if you work in the docklands, as it is only 2/3 stops away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

newacc2015 wrote: »
    People have this notion that the Northside is entirely working class.

The thing that makes me laugh is almost none of it is.

Ballybough - I'm sure one or two people work :pac:
    Kilbarrack/Edenmore - yep okay working class
    The rest of it is €1m+ houses and some very wealthy people indeed.
    Fair enough you can go further out Donaghmede, Coolock but there is also Sutton, Howth and Malahide.

I'd echo all of the above, we moved into the area two years ago and it's perfectly safe

Some nice foodie places:

Anderson's
    http://www.andersons.ie/andersons-caf%C3%A9-and-creperie.html

Lovely food company
    http://www.lovelyfood.ie/drumcondra.html

bread and butter
    http://breadandbutter.ie/

Le petit breton
    http://www.lepetitbreton.ie/

Nelly's
    http://nellysdublin.com/

I really like Wallace's Taverna on Russell Street too
    http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/?page_id=337

Over on the Fairview side there's some good options too, like
    http://www.kennedysfoodstore.com/

And further up in Clontarf you'll be spoiled for choice; Bay, Moloughney's, Kinara, Pigeon House

Enjoy!

Great list.

Add in Da Mimmo, Chilli Banana, the "original" Andersons off Griffith Avenue (beef salad - omg) too...

Fagan's is decent for a bit of pub grub, the wings in the Ivy House are quite good and loads of people rave about the tapas place on Drumcondra Road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Luas red line goes nowhere near Drumcondra, btw. And I've found it fine.
    Tbh, you should get a bike, not a car. And it's walking distance to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Distillery road isn't actually in Drumcondra in any case. Estate agents might call it that, but the Drumcondra boundary lies on Jones' Road. Distillery road is actually in Clonliffe - that small area that buffers Ballybough and Drumcondra. Grand area, and handy for getting lots of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Drumcondra is great you could do the crazy thing and support an Irish football club smack bang in area called shelbourne fc formed in 1985 :)

Advertisement