Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drumcondra (and Dublin in general)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Spent years in Drumcondra and it was great, excellent bus services and not that far from town.

As for the Luas, it's got a bad name but I use it from Heuston-The Point at all hours of the day/night and never had issues. Once your sensible you will be fine. I would be a little cautious past Heuston however as freq drops it's can be quiet busy and there is a lot of security beyond that point as well. But as already said you should not really need it but if your work is near it I would recommend using it.

Personally I would wait to see where your job is before getting a car as the costs are mad for insurance etc and if it's centrally location public transport may be best and quickest option.

Dublin in general is safe and pleasant but like all cities some issues are there but I wouldn't be to worried about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

For the foodie foodies Fennel the new place beside the Regency is lovely. Husband is a serious foodie and loved it. It's run by a guy trained in many top kitchens around Europe whose dad was a Michelin star chef. Nice that Drumconcondra getting a few new places.

Twenty Two on Sion Hill road is my new favourite however. Delicious food lunch and dinner and if you just want coffee and a pastry etc the scones are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Drumcondra is a traffic clogged dump, from Dorset Street to Collins Avenue it is a constant traffic jam. This is without doubt the most congested area in the whole of Dublin. The reason for this is because it is the main route to the airport (25m passengers in 2015) and north Co Dublin, the fastest growing area in the country according to the recent census.
    Because the airport is on the northside and not on the southside successive governments decided that a rail link was not not necessary for 25m passengers or the people of Swords. Instead there is a Luas link to a place called Ballyogan Wood wherever that is!!
    Avoid the northside if you can. The people are fine (I'm one of them!) but years of neglect have taken its toll as the place comes to standstill.
    PS. I remember Clare Daly (TD for N Co Dublin) joking that if the airport was on the southside there would be a Dart, Luas, underground, overground leading to it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Drumcondra is a traffic clogged dump, from Dorset Street to Collins Avenue it is a constant traffic jam. This is without doubt the most congested area in the whole of Dublin. The reason for this is because it is the main route to the airport (25m passengers in 2015) and north Co Dublin, the fastest growing area in the country according to the recent census.
    Because the airport is on the northside and not on the southside successive governments decided that a rail link was not not necessary for 25m passengers or the people of Swords. Instead there is a Luas link to a place called Ballyogan Wood wherever that is!!
    Avoid the northside if you can. The people are fine (I'm one of them!) but years of neglect have taken its toll as the place comes to standstill.
    PS. I remember Clare Daly (TD for N Co Dublin) joking that if the airport was on the southside there would be a Dart, Luas, underground, overground leading to it :D

The recent road works in DC to extend the bus lane along St Pats all the way to Griffith Avenue have made a huge difference.

I really think you're overblowing the problem by a mahooosive amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hanley wrote: »
    The recent road works in DC to extend the bus lane along St Pats all the way to Griffith Avenue have made a huge difference.

I really think you're overblowing the problem by a mahooosive amount.

Agreed, plus a local would know how to get to the airport bypassing Drumcondra, if that's the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement