Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month ban from after hours...

Options
  • 21-07-2016 9:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

This was just coming off a 1 month ban, my first post back.

I received a pm from the moderator in question, telling me my post was "uncivilized".
    I attempted further contact with said moderator, to extrapolate on this, but received no response.

The thread I posted was title, "jacked vs not jacked, when picking up chicks".

Jacked, referring to being in excellent physical shape.

Am I the only male on boards.ie who enjoys picking up girls at clubs and bars?

I was told previously, "not to make threads about my success with women".
    Which is fine.
    That thread didn't contain references where I'm flaunting my supposed prowess in that capacity.

It was a simply topic, light hearted and fun in nature, that I enjoy discussing.

Is it taboo now, to talk about engaging with the opposite sex?

Please, enlighten me.

And for goodness sakes - a 3 month ban for this???
    Ridiculous.

I get the distinct impression - I don't know from a moderators stand point, are there little notes attached to my account saying, "this guy has been banned previously, his attitude stinks, he's derisory etc etc", and it incites this kind of "snowballing" effect, where now moderators are issuing me bans at the drop of a hat, for no profound reason, apart from following popular opinion.

Seriously.
    Look at the thread.
    Does it really warrant a ban, let alone a 3 month ban?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can look at this for you. Please forward (or post here) the pm exchange where you attempted to resolve the issue with the relevant mod.
    Thx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Nicholas Cage -

Hi Under_Graduate,

You were previously warned here not to start silly threads about women and/or drugs.

You did the same thing here and was given an on-thread warning. You started a thread about music here, despite there being an entire category for music here. You posted yet another thread about drugs/women here and was banned for it.

In the meantime, you started a number of silly threads, including a thread about travellers where you got yourself banned again.

The thread you started yesterday was your way of trying to skirt around the warning initially given to you by Boom_Bap. As your previous ban was for 1 month, you were only back in After Hours a week before you started being a nuisance again.

The above all occurred over less than 5 months. You are a time sink for mods and I am not going to overturn your ban.

Regards,
    NC

The bolded and underlined text confirms my suspicions that this may well indeed be a case of "snowballing".
    This has been repeated to me several times from moderators.

I made a thread or two several months ago about "the reefer", questioning it's prohibition in Ireland.

I also like to talk about picking up girls, so I made some threads in that capacity also.

Tone it down, they said.
    Sure - so my latest thread was basically designed to incite discussion regarding the male success rate with women, before and after, they start working out and getting in shape.

And..... and this is what I love about you guys....... I'm labelled a "troll" for this??

The adjectives that spring to mind.
    Farcical.
    Dismay.
    And in pure laymans terms, "are you taking the piss?".

I honestly don't know how to respond here, apart from refuting the claim that the particular thread in question was "troll like" in nature, and that bans should not be issued on the basis of previous bans.
    I served bans previously for raising the issue of marijuana, and the extremely sensitive subject of the travelling community.
    Bans were served, time done.

So I start a new thread, completely unrelated to the aforementioned, completely reasonable, but, apparently the opinion moderators have formed of me, justifies a ban being implemented, regardless of content.

Please enlighten me....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I get the distinct impression - I don't know from a moderators stand point, are there little notes attached to my account saying, "this guy has been banned previously, his attitude stinks, he's derisory etc etc", and it incites this kind of "snowballing" effect, where now moderators are issuing me bans at the drop of a hat, for no profound reason, apart from following popular opinion.

Hi

I will try and get to this today. Just so you understand is your previous bans are of course tracked and referred to during these processes. They operate an escalating 'punishment' regime in AH with a 3 mth ban being the last chance before a permanent ban. The fact that you got this far would indicate that you have significant prior history in the forum which would be daft to ignore.

Your first post here is pretty incoherant. Can you send me a link to the post that you were banned for?

Also please let me know what previous conditions were placed on you allowing you to post in AH.

The title and post of the thread which I was issued a 3 month ban for is as follows:

Being jacked vs not jacked, when it comes to scoring

Opinions?

And, by scoring I mean, picking up chicks, at the discotheque, bar etc.

There's a couple of stacked dude at a local I attend, and they score, pretty much at will.

I did not make any additional posts in the thread.

Link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057624567&page=2

The previous conditions allowing me to post in after hours were:

1) Do not mention cannabis, or, "the reefer".

2) Make no mention of the travelling community.

3) Do not post explicit details regarding your apparent success with members of the opposite sex.

This most recent thread in question, was referred to by said moderator, as my attempt to "skirt around", one of these conditions.

I dispute that.

It was, as I've said, a means to incite a form of discussion that interests me (and, from what i'm aware, most males in general).
    Maybe this ban was implemented as a preemptive measure to my potentially not abiding by one of these conditions.
    But there's nothing in the charter that says, "you may be banned if we hypothesize that there's a possibility you may, but have not yet, post something controversial".
    "Not only that, but we will make it a three month ban, and if we speculate there's the possibility you may conceive of, or even entertain the idea - regardless of content actually posted - of introducing controversial content to the forum, then we will go on to ban your permanently".

You see my point of view?

Facts::
    I didn't break any conditions.
    Bans should not be given on the basis of speculation regarding what could transpire.
    And in this case, a three month ban, for three harmless lines as above, a genuine query and interesting topic of conversation...?

Ok I have reviewed this.

You have been a major timesink for the mods of AH for a long time now. After reading your 'contributions' over a number of weeks or months I can see why the mods are sick of you. Seriously man, you say you are a college going adult yet post after post are like the musings of a teenager in the early stages of puberty. The thread you are banned for is another example of a continuing trend.
    I would suggest that AH is not the forum for you and it may be better to post on other forums until you mature some more and can interact in an adult fashion.

Ban upheld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Note: only parties involved in this issue are permitted to post on this thread.

Alrighty.

Well, in terms of compounding my argument, I'm not sure there's much else I can add.

After hours is meant to be a place to chill and have fun discussion.
    When I'm with my friends, picking up girls, or girls we've picked up, or girls trying to get picked up by us, or angry boyfriends of girls we've put moves on, is just about the only thing we talk about.

You guys seem to be labeling this as "juvenile".

Listen - certain lifestyles appeal to different people.
    Simply because this is something a lot of adolescents experience before, "settling down", as it were, does not mean it is not applicable to some of the older generation as well.

I don't think my choice of lifestyle is a reason to label me a "troll", nor a "time sink for mods", and it's certainly not a reason to ban me from a forum intended for fun discussion, when I raise a form of discussion, that's fun.
    And if that is the case, then, you guys need to modify the forum charter for AH.

Again - I will continue the appeal, as in this case, I feel it's justified, just as I feel, in this instance, a ban is most certainly not justified.

Can an administrator now look into this??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm going to out this bluntly, because quite frankly you need to be told out straight - your attitude towards women stinks. You claimed in the past to be between 25 and 30, but what self-respecting 25-30 year old refers to women as chicks these days? Seriously man, grow up. And if you think I'm being too harsh, here are some seriously misogynistic quotes from a few of your previous AH posts:
    There is nothing that will stop me attempting to pound some young college going muff, so this rag week, I will be taking my mature ass, to the discotheque.
    But basically, when will the young pieces of college muff be out in full force?
    I plowed my girl into a semi coma last night and..... nothing.
    Does that mean the drunk girls are gonna be getting their party on on Wednesday night, or Thursday night?

On top of all that rubbish there's the nonsense you've posted about drugs and Travellers, and now this thread that eventually caused the mods to decide that enough was enough.

If you want to behave and post like an American teenage college jock on steroids, then I'm sure that there are plenty of sites out there that can accommodate you. But on this site we expect people to have a modicum of respect towards other people, and seeing your antics in AH, it's clear that you don't respect other people at all, and in particular women. I don't see why the posters of the forum should have to put up with that level of disrespect, and so I see no reason to overturn the ban. I'd also urge you to think about how you post on this site because should it continue this sort of behaviour has only one inevitable conclusion, a permanent siteban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement