Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset Recommendations €1000 budget.

Options
  • 21-07-2016 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've been given the green light by she who must be obeyed to treat myself to a new set of wheels. I'm going to limit myself to in or around the €1k mark.

I want something that is lightweight and ideal for climbing as living in Donegal ensures that every spin has at least some sort of climbs. I don't race and so aero/fast wheels aren't really necessary.

I'd love carbon but I don't think there is anything that suits my needs. I considered the Fulcrum Quattro carbon but I think all it offers is looks as it's neither aero or lightweight and suffers in crosswinds.

I've probably looked at every set of wheels available and it seems Campags Shamal Ultras or Fulcrum Zero's are the best all round wheel but has anyone any other recommendations that I might have missed.

I will consider handbuilt but I want something attractive too which means having to put decals on custom wheels which I'd rather not have to do but would do for the right wheels.

I do not like the look of the Dura Ace 9000 wheels as they're simply too plain and understated although they probably are the wheel most suited to my needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Had Zondas for quite a bit and was long considering Shamal Ultras, but in the end stretched a little and went for dark Bullet Ultras, really like everything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

second hand Campag Bora Ultras for 800-1000 is a bargain. if you were thinking the best wheels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Keep Her!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

If I were you id go for hand built you wont regret it. I got a pair built up on DT Swiss 240 hubs with H plus son rims. At the moment would probably set you back a grand. For me it was the best investment I ever made I am a big guy and ride bad roads since I got them not a problem. Stay true and roll beautifully stuck a SRAM red cassette on rear and light as a feather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If I had a grand to spend on wheels and no more, I'd get the 50-60 version of these.

https://www.tokyowheel.com/shop

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If I were you, I would strike the Fulcrum Racing Zeros off your list.
    I have a pair of them, I also have a pair of Campagnolo Zondas, which cost less than half what the Zeros cost. On the bike, they are indistinguishable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you want wheels for going up Donegal hills, you'll want wheels for going down the other side of them, often in the wet. So I would strike carbon clinchers.
    Mavic's Exalith coated time give you that slick black rim look and also stronger braking. I've the ksyrium slrs for three years and I love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you want wheels for going up Donegal hills, you'll want wheels for going down the other side of them, often in the wet. So I would strike carbon clinchers.
    Mavic's Exalith coated time give you that slick black rim look and also stronger braking. I've the ksyrium slrs for three years and I love them.

Plus one on slrs. I'm racing on them and find em great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I've the Shamal Ultras. I really like them, especially for climbing. And they look brilliant.

Just saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

happyhappy wrote: »
    Plus one on slrs. I'm racing on them and find em great.[/QUOTE

Have a set of these fantastic wheels light,stiff strong,great braking all conditions
    And look sweet also had the c24 and these are much better wheel for all round use http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/brand/mavic/limited-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If I were you, I would strike the Fulcrum Racing Zeros off your list.
    I have a pair of them, I also have a pair of Campagnolo Zondas, which cost less than half what the Zeros cost. On the bike, they are indistinguishable.

I currently have Zondas on both my bikes and really rate them but just fancy stepping up from them a little.

Aren't Fulcrum Zero's just Shamals with a different rear spoke arrangement?

nordicb wrote: »
    Had Zondas for quite a bit and was long considering Shamal Ultras, but in the end stretched a little and went for dark Bullet Ultras, really like everything about them.

How you find them in crosswinds and climbing compared to the Zondas?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

How you find them in crosswinds and climbing compared to the Zondas?

1st ride on them I've noticed right away how comfortable they are, the road buzz and bumps have reduced noticeably. As for speed, they do seem to cut a little easier through the air giving a more sustainable speed over 30kph. In the cross-wind they are a little twitchier compared to Zondas, but there was not a moment I wanted to go slower. I paired them with Vittoria Rubino Pro's 25, which gave another level of comfort.

For the price difference over Zonda's, I don't feel they are that huge step up, but they are an improvement nevertheless. Zonda is just a great wheel, they went on my winter bike.

The reason I didn't go for shamals is that many say they are just no different to Zonda's, also I'm not a strong believer in the aluminum/carbon spokes malarkey - just wanted reliable steel spokes, great hub bearings and aluminum braking surface. Zondas seem to have less spokes in the front than bullets.

Bullets came with somewhat a sharpish edge where the metal braking surface meets carbon, but that is the only negative thing I can say about them. They look great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Agree with this if you're doing a lot of hill work I'd take a pass on carbon wheels. I have a set and they're great on the flat but if you're coming down any steep descents they're a pain. In the dry the brakes pads are grabby and in the wet they can be very vague.

I've seen fatblokes wheels and they're the mutts nuts. It helps they're on a wicked looking Cervélo mind. :D

Brian? wrote: »
    If I had a grand to spend on wheels and no more, I'd get the 50-60 version of these.

https://www.tokyowheel.com/shop

Have you any experience of them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have you any experience of them?

I don't personally, but a friend has them and speaks very highly.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

If you're ruling out aero and carbon, its gotta be Pacenti SL23 rims, black CX ray spokes on Dura-Ace 9800 hubs. Possibly the nicest looking wheels ever and still leaving you a decent chunk of change rustling around in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    If you're ruling out aero and carbon, its gotta be Pacenti SL23 rims, black CX ray spokes on Dura-Ace 9800 hubs. Possibly the nicest looking wheels ever and still leaving you a decent chunk of change rustling around in your pocket.

Personally I like my Stans ztr rims. Either way handbuilts are well worth it for this price bracket. My extralites (ztr 24/28 sp spokes) are sub 1200g and after 5 years racing here and travelling abroad they are going strong. One replaced spoke after someone ran into the back of me, otherwise normal truing and servicing.

The one thing that doesn't meet your criteria are the bling stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Pacenti SL23 rims, black CX ray spokes on Dura-Ace 9800 hubs.

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat. :)

Who/where/how would a fella assemble such an exotic menage a trois?

• Advertisement

Idleater wrote: »
    Personally I like my Stans ztr rims. Either way handbuilts are well worth it for this price bracket. My extralites (ztr 24/28 sp spokes) are sub 1200g and after 5 years racing here and travelling abroad they are going strong. One replaced spoke after someone ran into the back of me, otherwise normal truing and servicing.

The one thing that doesn't meet your criteria are the bling stickers.

They are nice. A smidgen blingy, as you say, but coming in at 1200g that's a fair cop. Totally agree about handbuilts.
    A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat. :)

Who/where/how would a fella assemble such an exotic menage a trois?

:)

9000 I should say ( 9800??..was thinking of 105 ) Well, there's a few UK builders doing them...cheapest being thecycleclinic.co.uk and dcrwheels.co.uk.

PA-SL23-DA-01.jpg

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/14321105-dura-ace-9000-hubs-on-pancenti-sl23-rims

Incidentally, dcrwheels do their own well spec'd hubs and rims at a lower price than their branded counterparts. They also look the biz. Plum purple hubs for a retro build ? Think I just might, ta very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Strava wheels did a good job for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I know you weren't sure about Carbon wheels, but these have a great review from Cycling weekly as do their RC50s, AR30s and AR24. I've the AR30s and have no complaints, thought the rear hub was changed by the original owner. Also have the AR24s but they're sitting in a box since I got them.

They did have them on sale for around €700 at one point.

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/review/product/list/id/7258/

I've been looking at the Fulcrum Quattro Carbons again after seeing a set in the flesh today and they look superb on a black bike (which is what I have)

They weigh 1495g (actual weight with Shimano body as weighed by Bike24 and not manufacturers claimed weight) which is nearly a whole 100g lighter than my Zondas which are 1593g with Shimano freewheel. The front wheel is more or Less the same as the Zonda front wheel but the rear wheel is 95g lighter so technically they shouldn't be any slower to spin up as most of that weight is in hub and spokes? Theyre also the wheel supplied with the €7000 Felt F1 so they can't be all that bad. They're a possibility again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I have Mavic R-Sys wheels on my Canyon.
    They're mad light, very strong and the braking is second to none. The Exalith braking surface is very durable, so the braking surface still looks good after 18 months.
    Because of my weight, I would be harder on wheels than most. Mine are still perfectly straight and true.
    That seems to be a great price.
    The tyres, that come with the wheels, are, in my opinion, sh1t.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have Mavic R-Sys wheels on my Canyon.
    They're mad light, very strong and the braking is second to none. The Exalith braking surface is very durable, so the braking surface still looks good after 18 months.
    Because of my weight, I would be harder on wheels than most. Mine are still perfectly straight and true.
    That seems to be a great price.
    The tyres, that come with the wheels, are, in my opinion, sh1t.

I have an aversion to Mavic wheels, I don't really know where it stems from but I just don't trust them nor like them. Strange but that's just me

I have an aversion to Mavic wheels, I don't really know where it stems from but I just don't trust them nor like them. Strange but that's just me

IIRC, as a chap who will happily fit Campy wheels on a bike built with a Shimano groupset, I would respectfully suggest you have your superstitions totally ar*eways. ;)

Mind you, Yksion tires should be banned.

IIRC, as a chap who will happily fit Campy wheels on a bike built with a Shimano groupset, I would respectfully suggest you have your superstitions totally ar*eways. ;)

Mind you, Yksion tires should be banned.

Yeah I know. I don't know what it is about them, I had a set of aksiums that were great wheels but I have since just gone off all Mavic wheels.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. I don't know what it is about them, I had a set of aksiums that were great wheels but I have since just gone off all Mavic wheels.

Those RSys wheels are a whole different level to the run of the mill wheels (aksium/Ksyrium etc) mavic have been pumping out.

Advertisement