Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset Recommendations €1000 budget.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Those RSys wheels are a whole different level to the run of the mill wheels (aksium/Ksyrium etc) mavic have been pumping out.

Fair point but unfortunately they're way out of my budget.

Having looked at near enough every single wheelset that complies with my 'want' criteria, it's looking like the Fulcrum Quattro Carbons are at the forefront, they're light (1495g) 17mm wide, Carbon and look pure class. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'll give it a few days to see what else might appear but it's unlikely anything else will match them at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just one other thing to consider if you're intent on going down the carbon route. The brake pads are pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Just one other thing to consider if you're intent on going down the carbon route. The brake pads are pricey.

I think when someone is planning on spending a grand on wheels, the price of brake blocks are not part of the mix!! :D

Choose wisely!

Most carbon wheels I've looked at so far come with carbon specific Brake pads included and they're going on my good bike which is for summer/dry use only so I won't need new pads too often but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Not to hijack your post but I just spotted it and have a set of Ksyrium SLR just up
    In the adverts section. I notice you have an aversion to Mavic but just FYI!

• Advertisement

Smalltom wrote: »
    Not to hijack your post but I just spotted it and have a set of Ksyrium SLR just up
    In the adverts section. I notice you have an aversion to Mavic but just FYI!

Thanks but I want to buy new and like you said, my aversion to Mavic doesn't help either but thanks anyway. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here you go. Inside your budget by €1, not counting postage.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/#category=parts&subcat=10411&id=60282

Delivery is only €7.90

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Here you go. Inside your budget by €1, not counting postage.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/accessories/#category=parts&subcat=10411&id=60282

Delivery is only €7.90

I've actually looked at those wheels several times in the last few days but I'm not 'feeling' them. The weight on the Canyon site is incorrect, the clinchers are 1568g, the weight shown is for the tubular version so theyre the same weight (roughly) as the Quatrro's but dont have the look the Quattro's have and so I discounted them for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Dura Ace C24 clinchers can be had for around the €7-800 mark-check the German sites and also Chain reaction. You'll get better braking than standard carbon clinchers, but the feel of these wheels is definitely more subtle and comfortable (especially on sh*te roads) than your standard aluminium rims. The hubs are the best in the business. They are very light and not bad looking at all (though admittedly not as nice looking as a pair of deep-section full carbon wheels, but you only have a grand to spend, so...). They also come in a tubeless version, so you could buy these and spend some of the remaining budget on a set of Schwalbe one tubeless tyres and a cassette of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've actually looked at those wheels several times in the last few days but I'm not 'feeling' them. The weight on the Canyon site is incorrect, the clinchers are 1568g, the weight shown is for the tubular version so theyre the same weight (roughly) as the Quatrro's but dont have the look the Quattro's have and so I discounted them for that reason.

I didn't cop that the Canyon site had the incorrect weight.
    the extra weight takes the good out of them

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I didn't cop that the Canyon site had the incorrect weight.
    the extra weight takes the good out of them

Yeah when I seen it first they went top of the list as it was an impressive weight but when I started reading other reviews I discovered the actual weight and so they were tad unattractive.

Anywho I pulled the trigger on a set of Quattro Carbons from PBK for €960 delivered. Can't wait for them to arrive now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Yeah when I seen it first they went top of the list as it was an impressive weight but when I started reading other reviews I discovered the actual weight and so they were tad unattractive.

Anywho I pulled the trigger on a set of Quattro Carbons from PBK for €960 delivered. Can't wait for them to arrive now!!

Have you link for that? think I might be in interested in them as well 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes this was a good wheel thread even though I'm not in the market myself. Post the link to what you finally choose to finish it off nicely :D

Here's the link >> http://m.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/fulcrum-racing-quattro-carbon-40mm-clincher-wheelset-2016/11184769.html

Remember to change the currency to Sterling. Let your credit card or PayPal do the exchange rate conversion. It works out over €100 cheaper. Tracked shipping is free to Ireland. I also got a £25stg discount code which unfortunately for others ended yesterday so they'll work out just under the grand mark for anyone else.

Page on this wheel:

"The test performed involves spinning the wheel to 500 rpms then letting it decelerate. The test results are amazing: the wheel equipped with CULT™ ball bearings continues its motion for a full 45 minutesi.e. nine times longer than standard bearings."

Have always wondered what a free spinning wheel means in terms of watts saved, is is 1 or 2 or counted in low 10's ? Haven't the foggiest, anybody any idea ?

Yeah looked at them but they only have Campag fitment and theyre considerably dearer on other websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Page on this wheel:

"The test performed involves spinning the wheel to 500 rpms then letting it decelerate. The test results are amazing: the wheel equipped with CULT™ ball bearings continues its motion for a full 45 minutesi.e. nine times longer than standard bearings."

Ah sure the bike can go off and cycle itself so, you're not needed :D

Page on this wheel:

Have always wondered what a free spinning wheel means in terms of watts saved, is is 1 or 2 or counted in low 10's ? Haven't the foggiest, anybody any idea ?

I wonder how that translates in real life with a load on the wheels/bearings? Have they 9 times less resistance? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I wonder how that translates in real life with a load on the wheels/bearings? Have they 9 times less resistance? I doubt it.

Dare I say these test readings are akin to VW / general motor industry emmison test results - unachievable-unattainable in normal use? :D

• Advertisement

I suspect very little when considering weight, surface etc. Best guess would be 2-3 watts but if on the other hand you have a wheel that spins down very quickly it is irritating.

I have never seen an article on what free spinning means in real terms

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Free-spinning wheels just have lighter grease and looser seals. The power saving is negligible and they will degrade in poor conditions.

The kinetic energy of a naked wheel spinning at 500rpm (over 70kph) is significant, maybe 150J, so it's not surprising that it would spin for a long time under no load.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Heavier rim will probably spin longer than lighter one, spoke profile will prob influence it too. Spinning time probably tells nothing at all.

Campy hubs don't seem to be very water resistant, wonder if cult bearings come handy in here?

Isn't Fulcrum red wing a Campy bullet?

nordicb wrote: »

Campy hubs don't seem to be very water resistant, wonder if cult bearings come handy in here?

I have a set of 5/6 year old Zondas that have unknown mileage on them (I'd hazzard a guess at 10k+) and I've owned them for nearly 3 years and used them exclusively in winter/wet weather. They have never needed attention of any sort and the hubs are still buttery smooth, in fact theyre freer spinning than the year old Zondas I have on my 'good' bike which have roughly 2k kms on them and have only been used in dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I have a set of 5/6 year old Zondas that have unknown mileage on them (I'd hazzard a guess at 10k+) and I've owned them for nearly 3 years and used them exclusively in winter/wet weather. They have never needed attention of any sort and the hubs are still buttery smooth, in fact theyre freer spinning than the year old Zondas I have on my 'good' bike which have roughly 2k kms on them and have only been used in dry weather.

Perhaps it was unlucky with my set a little. I perfectly recall that winter day cycling on what looked like a salt as my whole bike got white residue on the frame, which I cleaned on my return. Anyway, few days later, the chain had to be replaced as I couldn't free up links, after which I promptly disassembled rear zonda hub. What I found was a quite severe corrosion on pawls assembly and inner axle bearing races. Ball bearings were discoloured as well. It never happens to the front wheel hub, nor the outside axle bearing on rear, just that place where freewheel meets the hub. I did not replace any of the parts, just cleaned and regreased, but it made me cautious I need to open them now and then for inspection. The cr@p that we put on our roads is unbelievable.

I still love campy wheels no matter what :)

Wheels arrived earlier this week and fitted last night.

I weighed them first, which is absolutely mandatory! They weigh in at 1482g (650F/832R) which in my opinion can be considered lightweight. They look beautiful and I was delighted that the graphics are a light grey and not bright white as I previously thought.

I fitted them with Michelin latex tubes and 25mm GP4000's which inflate to 26.7mm at 80psi so comfort should be improved.

Haven't been out in them yet so no reviews on performance etc but the freewheel is virtually silent (it'll probably get slightly louder with use though)

They look the dogs. Well wear.

On the psi side of things 80 seems very low? Keep in mind you don't want to damage the carbon rim. I always have my tyres at 100psi min

They look the dogs. Well wear.

On the psi side of things 80 seems very low? Keep in mind you don't want to damage the carbon rim. I always have my tyres at 100psi min

Thanks. They'll be pumped to 90R/80F for spins, which is what I always pumped 23mm tyres to so should be fine on wider 17mm rims and 25mm tyres. I'm 74kg so don't think I need any higher than that.

Thanks. They'll be pumped to 90R/80F for spins, which is what I always pumped 23mm tyres to so should be fine on wider 17mm rims and 25mm tyres. I'm 74kg so don't think I need any higher than that.

Ah sure at that weight your biggest fear will be blowing away in the wind ;)

Which incidentally I don't know if you've cycled with deep section wheels before but I find the worst culprit is passing gateways or similar on breezy days. Nothing overly worrying but definitely noticeable the first time it catches the front wheel.

Enjoy. :)

• Advertisement

Ah sure at that weight your biggest fear will be blowing away in the wind ;)

Which incidentally I don't know if you've cycled with deep section wheels before but I find the worst culprit is passing gateways or similar on breezy days. Nothing overly worrying but definitely noticeable the first time it catches the front wheel.

Enjoy. :)

I had 35mm regular Quattros a few years ago and even at that depth I had a few hairy moments passing gaps in hedges etc etc but nothing too serious. These will probably behave something similar so I'll be prepared.

I've kept my Zondas and have tyres and a cassette on them for when it's too windy although saying that I'm just thinking now having to change pads and re-align then each time will be a real pain so much so I'll probably just take my other bike on days like that. I'll hold onto the Zondas anyway as they're almost new.

Advertisement