Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset Recommendations €1000 budget.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'll hold onto the Zondas anyway as they're almost new.

They're very popular on here i'd imagine you'd have no bother selling them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Took the wheels out on their maiden voyage this morning. It was quite windy here, average wind speed was 45kmph with stronger gusts so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to see how they behave in crosswinds so I picked a near circular 40km loop to ensure the wind was hitting me from all angles throughout the spin.

First off all the most noticeable thing was the comfort on them, they really did soak up rough road surfaces and left the ride 'softer'

The wheels spin up to speed very easily and holding higher speeds definitely required less effort. I definitely felt like there was some 'free' speed once over 30kmph.

Crosswinds had very little effect on the wheels and only once was I slightly caught out but it was minor and easily managed.

Braking is as good if not better than my Zondas which I had paired with Swissstop green pads and which I thought offered brilliant braking. I was surprised how good the braking is on the Quattros with the supplied red pads, excellent modulation and a real firm Stopping power when needed. The rear brakes will lock the wheel if the brake is pulled too much.

There is a 5km stretch in the route which is near dead level and I set a PB on it today despite a fairly strong direct crosswind and I'm being honest when I say I really wasn't trying to break any PB's today.

There were no real climbs on the route bar one 2km drag (3% average) and so I can't really comment on how they climb but they felt great on that drag and certainly weren't holding me back.

I fitted them with GP4000's and Michelin latex tubes and those combined with the carbon body of the wheels create a lovely hum on the road.

Overall I'm absolutely delighted with them and recommend them to anyone looking for a mid section carbon wheelset. The look simply beautiful, they're light, comfortable and make a lovely noise, what more could one want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just to throw a question on something you mentioned there, i have ordered blue Swuss stop pads, bxp ones for ky Kyrsium sl pro wheels, are these the correct/better ones for alu rims?

Just to update this thread with regards to wet braking with the wheels. I was on a club spin last week, 135km on wet roads with intermittent showers for most of the journey. The route consisted of a lot of rolling hils (1100m of climbing over the course with two biggish climbs near the end) and the braking in the wet is brilliant and on a par with what I was used to with alloy clinchers. I had no 'moments' where there was a lack of braking force and the brakes slowed me down consistently every time they were required.

I had original decided to keep my Zondas and stick a set of tyres and a cassette on them and keep them for wet rides but have since sold them such is my confidence in the braking capabilities of the Quattros in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Wheels arrived earlier this week and fitted last night.

I weighed them first, which is absolutely mandatory! They weigh in at 1482g (650F/832R) which in my opinion can be considered lightweight. They look beautiful and I was delighted that the graphics are a light grey and not bright white as I previously thought.

I fitted them with Michelin latex tubes and 25mm GP4000's which inflate to 26.7mm at 80psi so comfort should be improved.

Haven't been out in them yet so no reviews on performance etc but the freewheel is virtually silent (it'll probably get slightly louder with use though)

Hi, how are the wheels holding up, see there is a good price on probikekit at the moment ?

Was wondering on weight, you say 1482, most sites 1550 or so. Could the difference be that they include the skewers (which is unusual) ?

And had you looked into warranty much with probikekit in the event of trouble ?

• Advertisement

Hi, how are the wheels holding up, see there is a good price on probikekit at the moment ?

Was wondering on weight, you say 1482, most sites 1550 or so. Could the difference be that they include the skewers (which is unusual) ?

And had you looked into warranty much with probikekit in the event of trouble ?

Wheels have approx 1000kms on them now and are as good as the day they were new. Braking is still excellent even in the wet.

I actually think they're better in climbs than the Zondas but that could be justbin my head.

Yeah I wondered where the 1555g came from too. The skewers are 115g so it's not them so I have no idea. I see on Bike24 they weighed the wheels without QR's and put them at 1490g or something like that too.

I'm guessing I have the usual warranty that would be provided with any wheels. I didn't actually look at it specifically before buying though.

Wheels have approx 1000kms on them now and are as good as the day they were new. Braking is still excellent even in the wet.

I actually think they're better in climbs than the Zondas but that could be justbin my head.

Yeah I wondered where the 1555g came from too. The skewers are 115g so it's not them so I have no idea. I see on Bike24 they weighed the wheels without QR's and put them at 1490g or something like that too.

I'm guessing I have the usual warranty that would be provided with any wheels. I didn't actually look at it specifically before buying though.

Been looking at quite a lot of wheels recently and you can't trust weights.... bit like asking directions in South America, you ask 5 people and if 3 point you in the same direction that's probably the way to go. Most sites don't seem to weigh themselves, they just borrow the figure from somewhere else. If I buy a set first thing I'd do too is weigh and if its a lot over the advertised weight on the site would seriously consider sending it back.

I know its difficult to gauge but how aero and fast do you think they are ? One reviewer was stating that he couldn't detect much difference between them and a typical shallow rim.

On another note does anybody know anything about mantel wheels ?

https://www.mantel.com/ie/mantel-50mm-full-carbon-clincher-road-wheelset

looks like good value.

Will bide my time (race season is a few months away yet) but the formula I have for a wheelset is

Price<1000 && Weight<1600g && RimHeight>=50

in addition to other considerations such as braking, durability, warranty, rim width and serviceability coming out ok too.

Fair bit to ask but should be possible.

Racing quattros are 40mm but if likely to be as fast on the flat as typical 50mm/60mm sets (but how can you ever really know..) then they could be a good option too.

I know its difficult to gauge but how aero and fast do you think they are ? One reviewer was stating that he couldn't detect much difference between them and a typical shallow rim.

Speed is very subjective. I definitely think they're faster once you get above 30kmph and in my opinion it's easier to maintain higher speeds.

In relation to their weight, one thing to consider with other wheels is that the claimed weight is generally without skewers and without rim tape. Rim tape can weigh anything from 30-60g. The Quattro carbons don't require rim tape so there's no additional weight to be considered. I also really rate Campag/Fulcrum having owned Zondas and alloy Quattros in the past and I have a set of 2009 Zondas on my winter bike which have required zero maintenance since I bought them 3 yrs ago and are still straight true and smooth despite only ever being exclusively used in wet weather/winter.

Speed is very subjective. I definitely think they're faster once you get above 30kmph and in my opinion it's easier to maintain higher speeds.

In relation to their weight, one thing to consider with other wheels is that the claimed weight is generally without skewers and without rim tape. Rim tape can weigh anything from 30-60g. The Quattro carbons don't require rim tape so there's no additional weight to be considered. I also really rate Campag/Fulcrum having owned Zondas and alloy Quattros in the past and I have a set of 2009 Zondas on my winter bike which have required zero maintenance since I bought them 3 yrs ago and are still straight true and smooth despite only ever being exclusively used in wet weather/winter.

You're a great salesman for the wheels. Reckon I'll keep an eye on the prices over the next few months and if I see something very good will pull the trigger. Own 10 wheels at the moment and would first like to move a few on to make room.

• Advertisement

You're a great salesman for the wheels. Reckon I'll keep an eye on the prices over the next few months and if I see something very good will pull the trigger. Own 10 wheels at the moment and would first like to move a few on to make room.

Sign up to PBK newsletter with anew email address (if you've previously registered) and you'll get a further £25 off

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

These are available from Merlin for approx €900 at the moment. You'll have to go parcel motel o get the full discount.

The €900 also includes tubes and set of GP4000 tyres

Advertisement