Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental treatment Fees - can you claim twice (Health insurance provider + Dental insu

• 21-07-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello,
    I had some dental treatment work done recently. I have private health insurance and also a dental insurance.
    Obviously, My dental insurance cover is much better than my private health insurance cover regarding dental treatment but I was wondering if I can make a claim with both. I don't have to provide the original to my health insurance company (just need to scan it) so because I pay for the 2 policies and they are 2 different companies, I should be entitled to claim the same treatment with my health insurance and my dental insurance, correct?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Monfreid wrote: »
    .... so because I pay for the 2 policies and they are 2 different companies, I should be entitled to claim the same treatment with my health insurance and my dental insurance, correct?
    Thanks

I'm replying only because you used the word 'entitled'......

You are not entitled or allowed to claim the same expense from two different insurers. Insurance is about buffering you from unexpected expense, it is not a way to make a profit.

It's different with life assurance - you can take out 20 life policies and your dependants can claim on all of them when you die but with general insurance, overlapping claims across multiple insurers is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd assume it's like general medical expenses, you can claim tax relief on the bit the insurance doesn't cover, but not insurance on the bit the other policy doesn't cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Absolutely not, it's fraud.

Most insurance policies contain a clause which says they will not pay out if you are covered under another policy.

Insurance is there to ensure you are in the same position you were before, not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

This is covered by one of the principles of insurance.

Principle of contribution

Principle of Contribution is a corollary of the principle of indemnity. It applies to all contracts of indemnity, if the insured has taken out more than one policy on the same subject matter. According to this principle, the insured can claim the compensation only to the extent of actual loss either from all insurers or from any one insurer. If one insurer pays full compensation then that insurer can claim proportionate claim from the other insurers.
    For example :- Mr. John insures his property worth $ 100,000 with two insurers "AIG Ltd." for $ 90,000 and "MetLife Ltd." for $ 60,000. John's actual property destroyed is worth $ 60,000, then Mr. John can claim the full loss of $ 60,000 either from AIG Ltd. or MetLife Ltd., or he can claim $ 36,000 from AIG Ltd. and $ 24,000 from Metlife Ltd.
    So, if the insured claims full amount of compensation from one insurer then he cannot claim the same compensation from other insurer and make a profit. Secondly, if one insurance company pays the full compensation then it can recover the proportionate contribution from the other insurance company.

This is also relevant:

Principle of Indemnity

Indemnity means security, protection and compensation given against damage, loss or injury.
    According to the principle of indemnity, an insurance contract is signed only for getting protection against unpredicted financial losses arising due to future uncertainties. Insurance contract is not made for making profit else its sole purpose is to give compensation in case of any damage or loss.
    In an insurance contract, the amount of compensations paid is in proportion to the incurred losses. The amount of compensations is limited to the amount assured or the actual losses, whichever is less. The compensation must not be less or more than the actual damage. Compensation is not paid if the specified loss does not happen due to a particular reason during a specific time period. Thus, insurance is only for giving protection against losses and not for making profit.
    However, in case of life insurance, the principle of indemnity does not apply because the value of human life cannot be measured in terms of money.

Source: http://kalyan-city.blogspot.ie/2011/03/principles-of-insurance-7-basic-general.html

Advertisement