Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly-tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

people who fly tip electric goods especially are idiots - the WEEE charge has made it just as easy to dispose of legitimately as it is to dump.

This maddens me no end, FFS it is FREE to get rid of any old electrical stuff. and due to being predominantly an MTBer I spend a lot of time riding in the woods, and the amount of fecking washing machines and dishwashers people throw out there is insane. That and it is a hell of a lot more hassle to go out and dump it in the woods than it is to go down to the local dump on a saturday morning, it obviously fits in the car if they managed to drag it out into the woods. :mad: I'm pretty sure the appliance shop you bought it from is even obliged to take the old one away for you, thats what the WEEE levy if for
    also, i'm often bemused by the amount of metal you see being put in skips. you can sell scrap metal.

The ass sort of fell out of the market for that now, best you can do is give it to the local travellers if the call to the door, i'm not losing anything and it keeps them on side

I once found a full box of packaging tape rolls, and 2 dispensers dumped at the side of the road,still using them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What do you do with lightbulbs? I have a couple here and don't know where to recycle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wonder what the actual legal position on this is. Since your firend can prove, by receipt, that he paid someone else to do the job, at what point does he still remain his problem?

Is there a register of approved collectors available for each CC? If not then surely there should be and once you go with an approved collector then the problem moves to them.

My bet would be that the CC just bullied your friend rather than go after the joker than actually caused the mess.

It's your responsibility to ensure that the waste collector has a waste collection permit.

There is a National Waste Collection Permit Office (www.nwcpo.ie). All permits should be up there digitally so you can see what a waste collector is permitted to collect and where they are permitted to bring the waste to.

Chuchote wrote: »
    What do you do with lightbulbs? I have a couple here and don't know where to recycle them.

Recycling centre should take them. What part of the country are you in?

It's also still possible to call the council's waste department and ask them to run a 'special collection' — they do this on request every now and again in our area, where there are a good few people who don't drive, and everyone puts out old furniture etc; most of it is then picked up by rag-and-bone collectors, and the council picks up the rest.

They used to do a one-off bulky waste collection where a leaflet drop was done maybe a week or two in advance and people left out all sorts of furniture and other bulky stuff for collection the night before/the morning of.

But the costs became prohibitive and it came to a halt. You used to be able to arrange for a large skip bag to be sent out which they would collect.

• Advertisement

Recycling centre should take them. What part of the country are you in?

Dublin City Council. Last time, I brought a few down to a local recycling centre that said online that it took lightbulbs. The guy there told me I'd need to go somewhere else a few kilometres away; my face fell, since I'd walked the dog over. He said kindly "Ah, don't worry, I'll bring them over there", but I think I might have heard a tinkling from one of the skips as I turned away.
    They used to do a one-off bulky waste collection where a leaflet drop was done maybe a week or two in advance and people left out all sorts of furniture and other bulky stuff for collection the night before/the morning of.

But the costs became prohibitive and it came to a halt. You used to be able to arrange for a large skip bag to be sent out which they would collect.

Yeah, that's the 'special collection'. They've certainly done one locally in the last year (without the skip bag biz), though perhaps I should keep quiet about it.

Dublin City Council. Last time, I brought a few down to a local recycling centre that said online that it took lightbulbs. The guy there told me I'd need to go somewhere else a few kilometres away; my face fell, since I'd walked the dog over. He said kindly "Ah, don't worry, I'll bring them over there", but I think I might have heard a tinkling from one of the skips as I turned away.

Interesting. I know both Ringsend and North Strand take fluroescent tubes but maybe it's not worth it for the older tungsten bulbs and they just bin 'em. They're still recycled by Irish Lamps Recycling in Kildare though....
    Yeah, that's the 'special collection'. They've certainly done one locally in the last year (without the skip bag biz), though perhaps I should keep quiet about it.

There may be priority areas that they still do the collections but they haven't done the collections across the whole of the DCC area for a few years now. Just looked and they did a one-off in D8 back in November 2015 so maybe they just cherry pick areas.

You can book an online bulky waste collection here. Last time I looked at it it was €75 for a skip bag but that's going back a few years. €40 isn't bad if you've goot a few big items for moving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JBokeh wrote: »
    The ass sort of fell out of the market for that now, best you can do is give it to the local travellers if the call to the door, i'm not losing anything and it keeps them on side
    i live a couple of miles from st. margaret's recycling centre - brought up the old garden gates (i'd say 50 kilos) plus the frame from an large old garden trampoline my neighbour was going to pay to have disposed of, probably about the same weight. €14 richer - not much, but a lot less than you'd have paid for disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It's getting to be a bit of a disaster at the bottom of the Dublin hills.

This was from a few weeks ago. The morning before, there was nothing.

It's a regular occurrence.

Where's Gunny Hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As well as being illegal and unsightly, spare a thought too for the many private landowners who are victims of fly tipping. Dumping on private land has become a major problem in my area as most fields do not have gates (no livestock). Several of my friends are sick of finding truck/van loads of rubbish tipped overnight on their crops. And because it's on private land, the local council will not clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

also, i'm often bemused by the amount of metal you see being put in skips. you can sell scrap metal.

Howya boss. That metal is usually removed from skips and sold for scrap before the skip is even half full

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

On the news now .... An illegal dump in Greystones... Tipping on a massive scale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I spotted this a few weeks back in the middle of the entrance to a house in NCD, most of its actually garden waste and muck. I posted it in another thread on here and someone else was saying theres a field further down which is been constantly dumped in.

20160612_153705.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ballyogan Recycling Centre have taken them from me for free. They were all CFLs, but there was nothing specifying that they wouldn't take Tungsten.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a (loosely) related note, Xenon and 14-C Ethanol bulbs? Have a few, from an old lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

If they are LED, CFL, Flourescent etc then when you bought new ones there'd have been a WEEE charge on them, so the shop you bought the new ones from will take the old ones back on a like for like basis.

No WEEE on old style incandescents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This is before any possible price increases. This and the stench of low temp burning plastic will be an increasing problem I feel. I believe in polluter (and user) pays in principle, but when does the social and additional costs outweigh the principle?

btw I actually thought this was going to be another gel wrapper thread! But while I'm hear, I'll remind people not to just chuck their banana skins - they actually take ages to rot (especially when hanging in a hedge!).

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'll remind people not to just chuck their banana skins - they actually take ages to rot (especially when hanging in a hedge!).

Didn't know that. They're also fabulous in compost, enriching the compost with lots of potassium and making the composting action faster.

Where's Gunny Hill?
    It's the road that runs from the Tallaght/Firhouse area up to the intersection with Stocking Lane/Killakee Road.

The retreat centre 'Orlagh' is probably the best known and most visible building on it.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote:
    Didn't know that. They're also fabulous in compost, enriching the compost with lots of potassium and making the composting action faster.

They do obviously rot, but it can take 2 years when just discarded (rather than in a compost heap obviously).

It's the road that runs from the Tallaght/Firhouse area up to the intersection with Stocking Lane/Killakee Road.

The retreat centre 'Orlagh' is probably the best known and most visible building on it.

Is Gunny Hill then on the road that Google Maps calls Dalriada Avenue? Looking at the map trying to spot it.

Is Gunny Hill then on the road that Google Maps calls Dalriada Avenue? Looking at the map trying to spot it.
    Just looking at Google Maps now. It doesn't seem to be on it but I'm pretty sure it's where Woodstown Cemetery/R113 is labelled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They do obviously rot, but it can take 2 years when just discarded (rather than in a compost heap obviously).
    i'm a bit sceptical. if they took two years to rot, they'd be everywhere.

i'm a bit sceptical. if they took two years to rot, they'd be everywhere.
    Up to two years - must depend on location/ altitude/ temps. But personally, I'd rather just bring it home if I brought it out with me! Anyway, I think this was the article that made me aware https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The law is an ass so.
    I'm not so sure. If they were to let every householder off the hook with a fairly trivial 'sure I thought yer man was grand' excuse, things could be an awful lot worse.
    Ringsend is €15 for a car http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/WaterWasteEnvironment/Waste/Documents/Ringsend%20information%20leaflet%20(PDF).pdf

It's also still possible to call the council's waste department and ask them to run a 'special collection' — they do this on request every now and again in our area, where there are a good few people who don't drive, and everyone puts out old furniture etc; most of it is then picked up by rag-and-bone collectors, and the council picks up the rest.
    that's insane - i go to one which has an €8 charge for a bootload. though i am driving an octavia, which has a big boot; at 585 litres, which is nearly 2.5times your average black bin, plus there's no weight limit (assuming you're not bringing construction waste).

Some of what you're seeing here is local variation in rules and charges. Each local authority has their own particular rules and policies, so charges and approaches will vary round the country. Which is generally a good thing - local democracy and all that.

I'd have limited faith in the app if it goes to fixyourstreet, which seems to be mostly decorative. For a couple of years I put reports of a) local graffiti and b) the terrible state of Leinster Road, where seams and holes between a patchwork quilt of tarmac patches make it really dangerous to cycle down after dark. None of the reports were ever acted on — the graffiti are still in place and Leinster Road is still deadly for the unwary.
    i've been on to a friend who works in DCC, who tells me that the feed they get is sporadic, certainly not realtime.

I don't think the problem is the feed. I think the problem is in the responsiveness of the various teams that deal with issues. In my experience, SDCC are pretty good at getting stuff sorted quickly, DCC are good at acknowledging quickly, but getting work done is another matter. I had one report that sat for 7 weeks before getting the 'referred to local inspector' update. DLRCoCo are the worst of the three for actioning things.
    JBokeh wrote: »
    But remember, if it ends up on the roadside somewhere, it could well end up being your legal problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I have one of those skip bags sitting at the front of my drive. Bloke knocked to the door on Saturday afternoon looking to take it away. No lorry or anything, just a bloke in a tracksuit bottoms, pushing a lawnmower for some reason. He said it was his business. I declined.

It's just garden waste, sods, soil, etc. but no way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is before any possible price increases. This and the stench of low temp burning plastic will be an increasing problem I feel. I believe in polluter (and user) pays in principle, but when does the social and additional costs outweigh the principle?

btw I actually thought this was going to be another gel wrapper thread! But while I'm hear, I'll remind people not to just chuck their banana skins - they actually take ages to rot (especially when hanging in a hedge!).
    Up to two years - must depend on location/ altitude/ temps. But personally, I'd rather just bring it home if I brought it out with me! Anyway, I think this was the article that made me aware https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

2 years at the top of Everest if I remember correctly. I do know the claim was wildly discredited even up in the highlands of Scotland. In the real world of rural ireland, you are looking at 2 to 4 weeks max.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

CramCycle wrote: »
    2 years at the top of Everest if I remember correctly. I do know the claim was wildly discredited even up in the highlands of Scotland. In the real world of rural ireland, you are looking at 2 to 4 weeks max.

Look, bring your banana skins back to where you bought them! Its not like they grow on trees :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Puggy wrote: »
    Look, bring your banana skins back to where you bought them! Its not like they grow on trees :)
    Absolutely. The maxim is "Leave no trace".

Advertisement