Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly-tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's getting to be a bit of a disaster at the bottom of the Dublin hills.

This was from a few weeks ago. The morning before, there was nothing.

It's a regular occurrence.
    I happened to be driving down Gunny Hill a few days ago - it was much more heavily littered then than in your footage. Even my teenage daughter, who was in the car and who doesn't say much, decided to put down her phone and make a comment about it (unprompted as I hadn't said anything). I was taken aback - it must be the most dumped on lane in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Great to see this sort of activism, and fly tipping is a scourge.

Cyclists are guilty of this as well though unfortunately and not just the banana peel over the hedge sort. The 3 bags of rubbish dumped in the Monread Playground in Naas, then set alight by the owner (i assume) would attest to this. I spotted a dumped MTB Fork, a few cassettes and chains in among the detritus.

Considerable damage caused to the playground surface as well.

Bastids'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

Absolutely punitive fines, or compulsory cleaning of the entire Road, a mile at least in either direction by the offenders in some sort of modern day chain gang.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TooObvious wrote: »
    Great to see this sort of activism, and fly tipping is a scourge.

Cyclists are guilty of this as well though unfortunately and not just the banana peel over the hedge sort.
    if throwing a banana peel into a hedge is fly tipping, we need to talk about autumn. it's the greatest fly tipper on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

if throwing a banana peel into a hedge is fly tipping, we need to talk about autumn. it's the greatest fly tipper on the planet.

I used to think the same about banana peels but interestingly they apparently take 20 years or something to break down. I still wouldn't regard it littering as such but if dumped on the road side I guess they'll be there a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't take anything near 20 years to break down (see post #59).

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I used to think the same about banana peels but interestingly they apparently take 20 years or something to break down. I still wouldn't regard it littering as such but if dumped on the road side I guess they'll be there a while.
    Throw one out into your back garden. It will be black after a few days and gone within a few weeks. Otherwise our roads and streets would be littered with them. I think this myth originated from mountain climbers in very high altitudes where the temp is below zero and most organic things don't rot.

they don't take anything near 20 years to break down (see post #59).

Well would ya look at that. I don't know where I got the 20 year figure from :eek:

I'm clearly a salesman's dream. Believe anything :)

Throw one out into your back garden. It will be black after a few days and gone within a few weeks. Otherwise our roads and streets would be littered with them. I think this myth originated from mountain climbers in very high altitudes where the temp is below zero and most organic things don't rot.

I'm actually curious now. I see a mythbusters experiment being set up this evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This is a warning taken from Mountain tops and applied to lower altitudes by dolts

• Advertisement

This is a warning taken from Mountain tops and applied to lower altitudes by dolts

I can't figure whether I should be offended or not? Dolts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I can't figure whether I should be offended or not? Dolts??

Dáltaí

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Quicker if you get the lawnmower out ;)

Any time I see banana peels on the road side I think cyclist, and with orange peels I think jogger. Can't say I see much more fruit out and about, plenty of coffee cups, bottles, and cans though :(

So it begins. ;)

See ya in 4 weeks :) Hopefully not 20 years :D

20160809_181646_zpsknkovguw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

An empiricist. Good for you.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    An empiricist. Good for you.

YouTube is ruining so many experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I happened to be driving down Gunny Hill a few days ago - it was much more heavily littered then than in your footage. Even my teenage daughter, who was in the car and who doesn't say much, decided to put down her phone and make a comment about it (unprompted as I hadn't said anything). I was taken aback - it must be the most dumped on lane in Dublin.

Yep, it is quite bad now, and on a regular basis :/

They "strimmed" the grass along the hedges about a week a go too, so a lot of the rubbish is now more visible, the stuff that gets scattered around by animals and what not.

Ballycullen is quite a high rental area I think, quite a lot of house built before the crash, and I think that a lot of "residents" are just are not into using their bins. :(

....They "strimmed" the grass along the hedges about a week a go too, so a lot of the rubbish is now more visible, the stuff that gets scattered around by animals and what not....
    Yes, I meant to add that in the earlier post - looks like the hedge cutting scattered it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

It can be bad around North wexford too...we had a local area clean up back in May...just going 400 meters either way from our house we filled 4 large refuse sacks. mainly cans ,tins, coffee cups, sweet wrapping. Also a few bags were dumped too. Absolute scumbags doing this. The area covered about 3 to 4 km up each road from crossroads in Killenagh .All the bags were bright back by trailer to carpark at back of o'briens pub.You would not believe the size of the mound of Rubbish collected. The council sent a small pick up van which did around 3 round trips and they then sent a proper size truck to collect the rest.
    Very disheartened when you cycle around lovely coastal scenic roads to see the trail of the scumbags:(

Suddenly reminded of David Sedaris being honoured for his voluntary work cleaning roadsides.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/english-village-honors-david-sedaris-garbage-truck

(Quite funny that the local paper doesn't mention that Sedaris is a rather famous writer.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Wasn't looking for them but they were in plain view on the road, picked up these souvenirs driving along 10 Km of a stage after the Rás had passed. Probably dozens in the grass and ditches

CjJ_5RvWYAAmZH1.jpg:large

Seven Worlds will Collide

So it begins. ;)

See ya in 4 weeks :) Hopefully not 20 years :D

20160809_181646_zpsknkovguw.jpg
    Any update, one week in?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Any update, one week in?

I will update this evening I was waiting for the paper to arrive ;)

Last I looked it's still yellow and not deteriorating as much as expected.

It's located in a typical hedge side location perhaps not having it directly on the soil might influence the break down I currently have it nailed to a piece of timber. It is however beginning to attract small flies which I assume will help with decomp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I will update this evening I was waiting for the paper to arrive ;)

Last I looked it's still yellow and not deteriorating as much as expected.

It's located in a typical hedge side location perhaps not having it directly on the soil might influence the break down I currently have it nailed to a piece of timber. It is however beginning to attract small flies which I assume will help with decomp.

Maybe bury a second one so the microherd can munch it, for comparison?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Maybe bury a second one so the microherd can munch it, for comparison?

I considered it but wanted to make it a typical dropped in a hedge row example.

1 week in and the flies are having an impact.

20160816_192705_zpsctrbjk36.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Wasn't looking for them but they were in plain view on the road, picked up these souvenirs driving along 10 Km of a stage after the Rás had passed. Probably dozens in the grass and ditches

I know nothing about bike racing, but that's outrageous. If riders are going to drop this stuff, there needs to be somebody there picking it up, just like any other public event.

The guest expert on the "Why Guy" on RTÉjr just said three to four weeks for a banana to rot away.

(Minding the kids, before you ask.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I know nothing about bike racing, but that's outrageous. If riders are going to drop this stuff, there needs to be somebody there picking it up, just like any other public event.

Agree, but fly tipping of household waste, appliances, building rubble, industrial waste etc is even more outrageous. Needless to say, as I write some dirtbag/cheapskate is planning a trip up to Gunney Hill, Cruagh or Fearherbeds tonight so they can offload some of the waste they have generated since the last time they dumped up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agree, but fly tipping of household waste, appliances, building rubble, industrial waste etc is even more outrageous. Needless to say, as I write some dirtbag/cheapskate is planning a trip up to Gunney Hill, Cruagh or Fearherbeds tonight so they can offload some of the waste they have generated since the last time they dumped up there.
    More likely arranging with someone someone claiming to be licenced, a cash in hand too good to be true price, to get rid of it.

Advertisement