Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly-tipping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    1 week in and the flies are having an impact.

20160816_192705_zpsctrbjk36.jpg

Any new pics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

secman wrote: »
    Any new pics ?

I also am interested in the status of the banana

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Don't leave us hanging!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

secman wrote: »
    Any new pics ?
    I also am interested in the status of the banana
    Don't leave us hanging!

Apologies slipped my mind :eek:

So at this point the banana is most certainly on it's last legs and the flies have long gone.

The skin is now paper like and you can see the small pieces that it has shed already.

I'd be almost certain if this was in a completely damp setting it would be gone at this stage.

04d15735-c541-4b43-8037-c96fce70903a_zpshhcevr0f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

At the back of Blackrock Park, tipped into the stream that's part of the nature reserve.

395688.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Coming up on 8 weeks she's hanging in there

20161002_135120_zpsw7orihui.jpg

Deedsie wrote: »
    That is infuriating. Why do it anywhere, but in particular why pollute the water table.

I would love if they started hammering people hard that they catch fly tipping.

It's also been like that for quite a while; shame on Dublin County Council that they don't clean it up. I don't know where you can report it for the county council, though, so maybe no one has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    shame on Dublin County Council that they don't clean it up.
    it's DLR who run the park.

it's DLR who run the park.

Do you know where to report this and ask for a cleanup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's also been like that for quite a while; shame on Dublin County Council that they don't clean it up. I don't know where you can report it for the county council, though, so maybe no one has.

My equivalent of the banana experiment was monitoring a black bag tipped into a grass verge. I usually always report them using the various sites but I just kept forgetting about this one. Anyway I was running towards it one evening and saw the contractors on the other side of the road and expected it to be gone soon.

Next day running down the same road the bag was still in the grass verge. The contractors had actually mown around it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/reports/submit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Deedsie wrote: »
    They shouldn't have to clean it up. The amount of money spent on cleaning up litter and rubbish from scumbags must be head wrecking for the councils. They should be putting resources into prevention. They had trialled a campaign of photoshaming perpetrators. But that was shot down as infringing on the perpetrators rights.

What about the rest of our rights to live in a clean country and not a tip.
    I don't think it was shot down. There was some discussion about Data Protection rights (and they are important) but I don't think it was a clear breach.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cctv-images-of-illegal-dumpers-raise-privacy-concerns-1.2606906

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not ring the council directly?

I will, thanks for the suggestion. For future reference, Dun Laoghaire's waste department is at

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/recycling-waste

Telephone: Enforcement 01-2047954; Recycling 01-2054810
    Email: wasteenforcement@dlrcoco.ie

there's a full page feature in the IT today about littering and dumping.
    one stat mentioned in it which i found astounding - as of march, 54% of households in DCC had not signed up for waste collection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

there's a full page feature in the IT today about littering and dumping.
    one stat mentioned in it which i found astounding - as of march, 54% of households in DCC had not signed up for waste collection.

Several people in my area go to the dump and have compost heaps and storage for waste so that would explain some. Memories of living in town had alot of people using the tags that you could slap on the rubbish bags and leave it outside rather than be signed up to a specific collector. 54% seems ridiculous considering all apartments would already be covered through management.

the exact phrasing in the article is:
    "Figures up to March this year show that 54 per cent of Dublin City Council households had not signed up to any authorised waste collection service despite a legal obligation to do so."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/urgent-remedy-needed-to-deal-with-growing-waste-problem-1.2830058

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

the exact phrasing in the article is:
    "Figures up to March this year show that 54 per cent of Dublin City Council households had not signed up to any authorised waste collection service despite a legal obligation to do so."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/urgent-remedy-needed-to-deal-with-growing-waste-problem-1.2830058

That figure does seem very hard to believe. Certainly around my area the vast majority of people have wheelie bins, which is easy enough to see come collection day.

It is possible that there are black spots where the locals have decided free waste disposal is their right and they are not going to be "bullied". This is the problem. Certain people think they are justified in taking their rubbish up to Wicklow, or wherever, and dumping it because otherwise they'd have to pay. It is very difficult to get through to people like this, they don't feel that they are part of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some households share bins which cuts down on the annual fee. It possible to not have a bin yet dispose of rubbish legally. Probably not above board though which seems unfair as it's more environmentally friendly.

I got an email back from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council to say that they'd alert the litter wardens to the fly tipping in Blackrock Park.
    Cycled past yesterday on my way to Dun Laoghaire and the ugly mess had been totally cleaned up. Chapeau to the council and its litter wardens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I did some cow-tipping in my youth. This fly-tipping sounds like a lot of sharp effort for little reward.

neris wrote: »
    I spotted this a few weeks back in the middle of the entrance to a house in NCD, most of its actually garden waste and muck. I posted it in another thread on here and someone else was saying theres a field further down which is been constantly dumped in.

20160612_153705.jpg
    if you're cycling on the R130 northwards towards garristown, you might see a big house burnt out west of the road about a mile after robertstown - the gates in the photo above are the gates to the house. it was empty for at least five years, in nama, and burnt down on friday. local word has it that it was deliberate.

i bought six apples in aldi earlier. they came in a tray with a plastic wrapper. the tray was made of polystyrene, which was a little irritating.
    if i was minister for finance, i'd get rid of VAT and charge a tax on packaging instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

i bought six apples in aldi earlier. they came in a tray with a plastic wrapper. the tray was made of polystyrene, which was a little irritating.
    if i was minister for finance, i'd get rid of VAT and charge a tax on packaging instead.

I am all for efforts to encourage recycling and legal waste disposal but that would not be top of my list.

We are way behind on recycling here. In AT/DE/CH, to name three, all glass bottles have a deposit. In Germany, it's also on PET bottles and I think now on cans. People don't dump in those countries as it socially unacceptable, and there are big fines for it. Bringing back bottles is as much a part of shopping as buying them!

Of course here in our lovely green country, some people seem to have no pride in keeping the countryside clean. They just want to take take and would rather have somebody else clean up after them.

Unfortunately, it's very hard and expensive to detect this activity – so councils seem to prefer to put their money into cleaning up, or rely on community spirit to do it for them.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I am all for efforts to encourage recycling and legal waste disposal but that would not be top of my list.

We are way behind on recycling here.
    i may be misreading you, but eliminating the need to recycle is much more important than creating the ability to do so.

when i bought those apples earlier, i assumed the tray was pulp material, my fault for not paying more attention.

It's apparently quite acceptable to Lidl and Aldi to decant the veggies and leave the packaging in the shop. Whether that means it will be recycled by the shop is another question.

that raises an interesting quirk in irish law/regulations. the following is based on something i read 5 years ago, so please bear that in mind in terms of accuracy of what i remember.
    it's quite legal to buy goods and unpack them in the shop, leaving the packaging behind for the shop to deal with - unless the shop is a member of repak, in which case they are under no obligation to take the packaging; the flipside was that the shop signed up to a code of practice in relation to dealing with waste disposal.
    being a member of repak cost, iirc, €125 p.a. at the time i read this, and there was a less than one in six thousand chance of repak actually auditing the shop in relation to the obligations the shop had signed up to. so it's a very irish example of a kinda statutory body being given statutory powers, without any actual powers or obligations, as a way of ticking a box for politicians to point at to claim we have the situation in hand.

in that we've taken a genuine issue that should be handled within a government department and farmed it out to a quango, which means the budget is not a permanent factor in what it costs to run our government.

e.g. the fact that disabled stickers in cars are handled by the (non government) irish wheelchair association, rather than from within the HSE.

And the Meals on Wheels services that many old people depend on for their main daily meal is run by volunteers (and isn't run over bank holiday weekends, when presumably the old are shut off and their batteries allowed to run down).

• Advertisement

in that we've taken a genuine issue that should be handled within a government department and farmed it out to a quango, which means the budget is not a permanent factor in what it costs to run our government.

e.g. the fact that disabled stickers in cars are handled by the (non government) irish wheelchair association, rather than from within the HSE.
    this answer was a reply to a now removed question, in case people think i was talking to myself.

Advertisement