Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly-tipping

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No, thought it was an answer to the strange arrangement on Repak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone commented that the arrangement was not uniquely irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

this answer was a reply to a now removed question, in case people think i was talking to myself.

Just to make it more confusing –Disabled permits are administered by two bodies...

someone commented that the arrangement was not uniquely irish.

We don't have copyright on inefficiency and craziness; there's plenty to go around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

generally, i'd be in full agreement with you, but this particular issue is a bugbear with me - i know two people who lost jobs during the cuts because the organisations they work for - doing essential work which should have been handled by the HSE - had their funding cut. it's a way for the irish government to allow the work to be done without committing to provide it.

anyway, back on topic now.

• Advertisement

It's very odd; what other nationality internalises sneers compared to 'oirish', 'that's awfully Irish' and the like?

On a brighter note, I think there can be no doubt that Ireland has become far, far less littered in the last 10 years. The main city litterers now, from my own dog-walking experience and in order of littering prevalence, are smokers, followed by sweet-eaters, takeaway-coffee drinkers, people who drink beer from cans and people who drink beer, wine, vodka and whiskey from bottles (and occasionally glasses).

I regularly pick up beer cans, deposit the remaining beer on my garden plants and stick the cans in my green bin; pick up glasses and bottles and leave them outside local pubs; kick paper cups and cigarette packets into the street where the whirly sweepers will get them.

Can't speak for the mountainy litterers yet; back when I used to drive around the mountains a lot of it seemed to be people who mysteriously discarded bags of clothes (why not put them in the clothes collection bins beside bottle banks?) and people burning cars (why not sell them for scrap?)

i suspect a lesser engagement with what services are available is partly to blame.

i don't think i see people littering as openly as they used to; the rise of e-cigarettes has led to a huge fall in the amount of litter in the city centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

On a lighter note I'm going to declare the banana experiment done.

At this point it's no more litter than the leaves falling around it. :D

11 weeks tomorrow its been emotional :D

You'll also note my comparison which was placed in the same spot for the same length of time.

collage_zpstesrrqyt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nice pics. I note only two of them have any yellow. How long did it take for all of the yellow to disappear? At that point, it's no longer visible litter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nice pics. I note only two of them have any yellow. How long did it take for all of the yellow to disappear? At that point, it's no longer visible litter...

within 2 weeks the yellow would be more or less gone. I think the one of it entirely brown with little decomp was 3 weeks in. I'd have o check back the date stamps.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    and also no longer any use as hi-vis material. so my plan to make a jacket out of them has to go back to the drawing board.

Advertisement