Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse question

Options
  • 21-07-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am going to buy a "real" greenhouse (have had a few of those small ones with plastic covers) and have decided on most things about it apart from the glass/polycarbonate.

I have kids but they are older so them running into it is not a concern for me.

what are the other pros and cons for different panels?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wouldn't dismiss the polycarbonate ones, i put up this one a year and a half ago and its still standing strong no issues during stormy weather

imo the key is to have a good level foundation and base and if possible in a sheltered area, i used a timber frame base that i fixed to the ground and built the green house on top of it, (bear in mind its a two man job and putting on the gable end above the door can be a right pain:( )

just take your time and read the instructions carefully, took me about 4-5 days...and also the fact the panels have a frosted effect i've had no bird strikes compared to clear panels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are greenhouses and there are Greenhouses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinch

I bought a greenhouse 4 years ago and have only one regret. I should have go a bigger one. I bought on 8 feet long, built a base of two layers of redbricks, this means i have to step over on the way in the door but that is no bother. I bought the shatter glass which added around 400 euros to the price but is was worth it for peace of mind.
    I also regret not buying the automatic top window openers for hot days as it often goes up to 40degrees when the sun shines. I am growing grapes along with all the usual such as toms and cucs.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

In my opinion the polycarbonate is a no go on my site anyway. Given the storms we've had the last few years, it would have been blown away many times. It is the glass which holds the greenhouse down as the frame is quite light on the Elite Belmont glasshouse I purchased from Morris and you need the glass to weigh it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are greenhouses and there are Greenhouses :)

Key selection crieteria when choosing a Greenhouse:

Size matters - usually people buy too small. select a size and buy next one up (at least)

Ventilation is very important and key for growing and maintaining healthy plants. This is where many greenhouses let their owners down with inadequate ventilation that stifles growth and allows disease to breed. Choose a structure with full length ridge ventilation, which opens automatically (no electric power required) once temperatures reaches 20 Celsius and remaining open so long as temp remains above this level. As soon as temps drop below 20 degrees, the vents will close again.

Toughened Glass - safety first!

Staging & Shelving - make the internal space more functional, ergonomic and efficient!

Quality counts - a well designed and appealing structure is the best investment to make. A quality well designed and made Greenhouse is a joy to use, practical and makes an appealing garden feature.

Unlike inferior alternatives, a good greenhouse is not only the perfect place for plants but also for people too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive helped my dad build all his greenhouses in the last 20 years. Theres been a few, all but one destroyed in a storm coming off the atlantic. The current one has survived 5 winters, so hopefully this is the keeper. Having now been bitten by the growing bug Im looking forward to owning my own home so I can build my own greenhouse. Some suggestions:

- Concrete foundations and concrete flooring.
    - Plumb it - its handy having a water source for watering and cleaning. My dads new one even has a sink as well as an automated watering system.
    - Size, make it as big as you can afford. Its not a man shed but a seat and a desk or bench to work on makes it all the more comfortable.
    - Sparks! Give it power. You might want a light or a heater for the winter.
    - Air, as another poster said ventilation is important to stop it becoming a damp musty mess, but make sure whatever vent it has is not the sort of thing that will get ripped off by a sharp gust and then threaten the integrity of the structure.

I'll post back if I think of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

I just took the plunge and ordered a Janssen Helios 20x10 feet. Pricey but it will be our forever glass house.
    To be constructed very soon. I looked at a few and this one seemed very solid and spacious with some nice extras - gutter rain collection, irrigation system, wide doors for wheel barrow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From what I have seen of other people's greenhouses (I don't have one) the polycarbonate panes can flex enough to come out of the frames in a strong wind.

^^^^^^^^^^^

not if you install them properly, mine haven't.....the key is not to have the greenhouse too exposed if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I know this thread is a few years old but its still very relevant to my question was well as containing good advice from SB above in post 6

herself wants a GH and the debate is whether all glasshouses work best with a concrete floor and pots or is the concrete floor unnecessary.?
    Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know this thread is a few years old but its still very relevant to my question was well as containing good advice from SB above in post 6

herself wants a GH and the debate is whether all glasshouses work best with a concrete floor and pots or is the concrete floor unnecessary.?
    Thanks as always.

Just use sleepers as a base for the frame on level clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just an idea. I'm currently turning an old conservatory into a greenhouse. Got one on adverts a while back. just finished building walls to support it. Hope to have it finished in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The thinbk about greenehouses is ... compromise between space and the number of plants/vegies that you can go as a healthy way.

I build a decent size greenhouse myself but,dunno how to say it, for me,is very easy to overgrown everything and lose lots of greenery due to small crowded space. I need to have lots of vegies but to respect each others space and intervals and ventilation and light and ... sharing same soil.

So,how small a greenhouse must be to satisfy your greenery appetite !?

Any thoughts on concrete base or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well,is a tricky one.

Concrete floor may limit you to using only pots or a certain deepness of the beds / soil.
    Some plants needs deep soil for their valuable roots to reach the food and water.

Non concrete floor,means you can go as deep you like usign the current ground type but you ened to protect it somehow against the elements of natural organic world:bugs,weeds and others.

Also,you will need to think of the external protection,structure,wind and heavy rain.
    On what those walls will be fitted in to,ground / soil will may not be enough.

My GH is ground fitted and no concrete.
    Used top soil down to 60cm with piping and protection membrane.
    Timber build and plastic cover (really want to use glass but later maybe,stage 3)

What do you have in mind in relation to soil,plants type and raised beds ?
    What is the size of the plot,real size for the GH structure ?

Enjoy it

I have 75% concrete floor, definitely recommend concrete base to support the frame of the greenhouse. I left room to plant directly into the ground inside if needed.

Also in the market for a greenhouse.
    We really want a dwarf wall though.
    Anyone got one?
    2k budget but could probably stretch it a bit

I have 75% concrete floor, definitely recommend concrete base to support the frame of the greenhouse. I left room to plant directly into the ground inside if needed.

Thanks, how big is the GH?
    rolion wrote: »
    Well,is a tricky one.

Concrete floor may limit you to using only pots or a certain deepness of the beds / soil.
    Some plants needs deep soil for their valuable roots to reach the food and water.

Non concrete floor,means you can go as deep you like usign the current ground type but you ened to protect it somehow against the elements of natural organic world:bugs,weeds and others.

Also,you will need to think of the external protection,structure,wind and heavy rain.
    On what those walls will be fitted in to,ground / soil will may not be enough.

My GH is ground fitted and no concrete.
    Used top soil down to 60cm with piping and protection membrane.
    Timber build and plastic cover (really want to use glass but later maybe,stage 3)

What do you have in mind in relation to soil,plants type and raised beds ?
    What is the size of the plot,real size for the GH structure ?

Enjoy it

have to ask the boss!
    Also in the market for a greenhouse.
    We really want a dwarf wall though.
    Anyone got one?
    2k budget but could probably stretch it a bit

Why DW?

What are people using as a base for the frame.
    Have to put up s polycarbobate GH..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

timber frame to the L x W of the greenhouse

cut four lengths of timber and fix each corner with a metal bracket

Drill & counter-bore several holes within frame and then hammer the longest bolts you can get your hands on through them so as to fix frame to the ground.

*beforehand make sure your foundation is nice & flat and not in too an exposed area,

*also use treated timber for frame

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

timber frame to the L x W of the greenhouse

cut four lengths of timber and fix each corner with a metal bracket

Drill & counter-bore several holes within frame and then hammer the longest bolts you can get your hands on through them so as to fix frame to the ground.

*beforehand make sure your foundation is nice & flat and not in too an exposed area,

*also use treated timber for frame

Is it worth using bricks under the wood to keep it off the damp soil.

3.5m by 4.5m

Is it worth using bricks under the wood to keep it off the damp soil.

nah, as long as the timber lengths are treated you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Concrete would be ideal. For my own green house I cemented the frame into the ground in the 4 corners using post cement mix. You just empty the bag into the hole you dig and pour in water. Then I took out the top layer of soil/grass and put down a weed barrier and put a ton of stones in it. Cost about 50 quid. Still standing about 8 years later.
    Only issues I have is some grass grows through the stones because I spill some compost every now and then.

iamtony wrote: »
    Concrete would be ideal. For my own green house I cemented the frame into the ground in the 4 corners using post cement mix. You just empty the bag into the hole you dig and pour in water. Then I took out the top layer of soil/grass and put down a weed barrier and put a ton of stones in it. Cost about 50 quid. Still standing about 8 years later.
    Only issues I have is some grass grows through the stones because I spill some compost every now and then.

How did this work?
    Were the holes the same level?
    Did you use wood in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

How did this work?
    Were the holes the same level?
    Did you use wood in between?

I just dug 4 holes, one at each corner and the frame had legs that went into the holes. Then I emptied a bag of post cement mix in each hole and levelled the frame and then added the water and left it to set. Next day added the gravel and built the greenhouse on top.

Some great ideas here, thank you..
    so, thinking about this over night, am toying with the idea of building my own from scratch.
    Have no issue with the carpentry, which is just first fix standard.
    The base is a separate issue, assume for now we have a level base to fix it to above the moisture level
    The idea is using tanilised timber for the frame and sheets of polycarbonate outside that.
    ventilation will be through the apex at each end.

Couple of initial pinch points:
    How to access roof for sheeting it with polycarbonate.
    Getting the various portal frame connecting pieces: e.g. haunch and apex as per the attached picture..
    Would welcome any experience etc in this area.

ATTACHMENT IS JUST FOR IDEAS ON THE DIFFERENT JOINTS

^^^^^^^^^^^^

jeepers! that looks like more a garage than a greenhouse...what are the dimensions?

Why DW?

Much nicer looking basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't worry about access, although the sheeting will be a bit slippy you can sling a strap over the apex and hang off it.

Is that diagram indicative of the pitch?

Low pitch and high apex braces means the apex braces are going to be under a lot of tension (compared to a more normal pitch with triangulation at top of walls), that design seems to be for a metal construction rather than timber. Do you really need that much uninterrupted clear space above head height? But in any case, threaded rod, washers and bolts ought to do it (maybe some else has a better suggestion).

Or, given how incredibly light multiwall polycarbonate is, could you maybe get away with a ridge beam design? Go thicker on the polycarbonate for better insulation, and then it'll be more rigid so will need lighter roof members. I used a 300mm x 150mm douglas fir ridge beam for a 5m clear span, and my spreadsheet said that would cope with a 1500kg roof structure. If you keep the roof MUCH lighter, you can bring the ridge beam dimensions down to standard lumber sizes (cheaper and safer to work with).

25mm multiwall polycarbonate is 3.4kg/m2, so 20sqm of roof would only be 70kg (light transmission ~50%).
    16mm multiwall polycarbonate is 2.6kg/m2, so 20sqm of roof would only be 52kg (light transmission ~75%).

https://www.twinfix.co.uk/products/multiwall-polycarbonate/25mm-multiwall-polycarbonate

So I reckon go the Colin Chapman route: simplify, then add lightness.

Advertisement