Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive other cars on my insurance

Options
  • 21-07-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

HI all

I have the drive other cars option on my fully comp insurance and was wondering would it cover me if the other car isn't insured. Selling my wifes car and as she bought another one so her old one isn't insured.
    Would I still be covered.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

jamesd2013 wrote: »
    HI all

I have the drive other cars option on my fully comp insurance and was wondering would it cover me if the other car isn't insured. Selling my wifes car and as she bought another one so her old one isn't insured.

Ask your insurer. Nobody here can tell you and if we do, we're guessing.
    You can't tell the guards, sure your man on boards said I was grand.

Literally only your insurer knows (but should be on somewhere in your policy too)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

This extension often excludes cars belonging to you, your spouse or registered to your address etc.
    Check your insurance policy carefully and ring your insurer if in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jamesd2013 wrote: »

Ironically, what was originally an urban myth that got repeated ad nauseum here is now starting to come true because some insurers (Aviva is one) have started to include as a condition of driving other cars that there is a policy in force on the borrowed car.

Check your policy document, it will be stated there as a condition in the section about driving other cars if it exists. Most companies do not impose this condition but you need to check your own policy.

This is listed in the conditions under the Aviva 'driving other cars' section, p.17 of their current policy document....

'a current certificate of insurance has been issued and remains in force on the Private car being driven under the Driving other cars cover provided'

Advertisement