Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle discomfort

Options
  • 21-07-2016 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

i'm often uncomfortable on the bike, particularly with saddle discomfort, but i really want to take action on it now. i understand there is always going to be some discomfort. i find rides over 4 hrs increasingly uncomfortable as the time goes on. i frequently get a spot in the same area where i sit on the saddle (near the edge on one side), especially on these longer rides.

i've had a basic bike fit, so i'm assuming the saddle position is correct, and i've taken on board all the advice about good hygiene, rest, etc. is the saddle itself the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What are you wearing when cycling ?

How often do you cycle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

i've a good set of shorts from dhb. at the moment, i'm cycling about 10 hrs a week, spread across 4 rides usually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

There are endless amounts of threads about saddles on here. A repeated theme is 'try a brooks' (or some other leather saddle, but usually a brooks). Another is to measure your sit-bones, and make sure you've the right width of saddle. Another is try a saddle with a hole in the middle. Another is that every ass is different, and you need to keep trying until you find a saddle to suit you. It does sound as if your saddle, specifically, annoys a specific part of you...so a change in saddle may help.

Many people find that they get tired/sore after four hours on the bike. It just be you, regardless of saddle.

If the hair on legs/buttocks is getting trapped and tugged as you ride, this can also cause skin inflammation and annoyance. Try chamois cream (the assos one is very good), or do a little careful trimming.

Try to borrow someone else's saddle (ideally a brooks or similar), and see if that addresses your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Charge spoon are good,but its how long is a piece of string

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

if you are looking for something a bit more unusual, try the specialized power saddle, amazing the difference the shorter front makes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are your shorts a snug fit? - they need to be. There should be no folds/creases etc. or general movement against your skin. (Many new to cycling buy too big).

As has been said, try some creams especially on wet or sweaty rides. They don't have to be cycling specific - Sudocrem or any nappy rash products work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Charge spoon are good,but its how long is a piece of string

I've got one you can have for a test-ride, if you want. Deansgrange, Co Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nialljf wrote: »
    i'm often uncomfortable on the bike, particularly with saddle discomfort, but i really want to take action on it now. i understand there is always going to be some discomfort. i find rides over 4 hrs increasingly uncomfortable as the time goes on. i frequently get a spot in the same area where i sit on the saddle (near the edge on one side), especially on these longer rides.

i've had a basic bike fit, so i'm assuming the saddle position is correct, and i've taken on board all the advice about good hygiene, rest, etc. is the saddle itself the problem?

Is saddle comfortable for the first 4 hrs or shorter spin?

I would just wonder is your posture going to pot when you get fatigued, with less weight being taken by legs and arms as ride goes on?

I wouldn't accept there has to be some discomfort. I've rented bikes many times, bought bikes without ever considering saddle.

Find a shop that lets you try out test saddles, get measured and see how you go.

Shorts/bibs are pretty individual to, just because a pair are well regarded/reviewed doesn't mean they ae for you.

I read all the glowing reviewes of Castelli on here and elsewhere and wouldn't rate them above shorts I've bought for half the price. They do feel nice though and the scorpion looks well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thud wrote: »
    if you are looking for something a bit more unusual, try the specialized power saddle, amazing the difference the shorter front makes

Power saddle works for me too. Survived Paris Roubaix challenge unscathed. Great for road, cross and MTB.

Advertisement