Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incremental question

Options
  • 21-07-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Subbing on/off for past number of years and trying to get increments sorted as I have a feeling I should be higher up - even given the freeze etc.
    So I have been told by my etb that the 600 hours quota must be made up in one academic year - and any excess hours in a given year are discounted rather than carried over.
    So a couple of years ago I had a contract for 14 hours but over 33 weeks this gives approx 462 hours (hope my rough maths are correct) - is the etb correct in saying then that they don't count at all towards an incremental increase? To make the 600 hours in one academic year you'd want to be subbing the full 22 hours/week and that only then gives a 6 week leeway in case you didn't have work. Seems very tight no?
    I had been told spring 2015 I had 400 hours of the 600 worked towards my next increment and I was lead to believe over the phone these hours would carry forward to last academic year and at some point during the year I'd hit the magic 600 and get the increment. But now I've been told today the 600 hours must be in academic year and increment increase can only be awarded on Sept 1st of the following year.
    Does anyone know how this works exactly? Any basic search just keeps giving me generic info on salary scales and stuff on the freeze/embargo
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Subbing on/off for past number of years and trying to get increments sorted as I have a feeling I should be higher up - even given the freeze etc.
    So I have been told by my etb that the 600 hours quota must be made up in one academic year - and any excess hours in a given year are discounted rather than carried over.
    So a couple of years ago I had a contract for 14 hours but over 33 weeks this gives approx 462 hours (hope my rough maths are correct) - is the etb correct in saying then that they don't count at all towards an incremental increase? To make the 600 hours in one academic year you'd want to be subbing the full 22 hours/week and that only then gives a 6 week leeway in case you didn't have work. Seems very tight no?
    I had been told spring 2015 I had 400 hours of the 600 worked towards my next increment and I was lead to believe over the phone these hours would carry forward to last academic year and at some point during the year I'd hit the magic 600 and get the increment. But now I've been told today the 600 hours must be in academic year and increment increase can only be awarded on Sept 1st of the following year.
    Does anyone know how this works exactly? Any basic search just keeps giving me generic info on salary scales and stuff on the freeze/embargo
    Thanks in advance

Hi, I've the same problems in the past but like you didn't get anywhere. I rang the department a long time ago and they told me they hadn't started looking at substitutes increments yet and that really it didn't matter - but thinking about it again - it does matter. I have left it for now but when I get my own hours, I will get someone to check my details and then contact the Dept. I don't know why it is so difficult to know what you're entitled to and with the freezes, it is extremely difficult now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Hi, I've the same problems in the past but like you didn't get anywhere. I rang the department a long time ago and they told me they hadn't started looking at substitutes increments yet and that really it didn't matter - but thinking about it again - it does matter. I have left it for now but when I get my own hours, I will get someone to check my details and then contact the Dept. I don't know why it is so difficult to know what you're entitled to and with the freezes, it is extremely difficult now.

They do make it hard - even the etb electronic payslip did my head in as there was a mix up in my hours and I was unpaid for about 6 weeks - when I tried to get it sorted I still couldn't say for definite I had all the hours paid as they were adding in hours from different weeks and never definitively said these x amount hours for this week or whatever - so frustrating
    I have just checked my emails and have now been told you can add 301 from one year to 301 hours the following year but I think they must be consecutive years and again any excess are discounted rather than carried over. It's looking more hopeful though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Does anyone know if there are dedicated or competent accounts who can actually sort this out, because trying to deal with the department over the phone regarding pay and increments is like trying to access Area51.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Union is the best port of call for this type of query in my experience.

Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Link to the circular you need Circular 0029/2007

http://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/second-level-incremental-credit-.2100.html
    e) Casual and other Non-Casual Teaching Service – the following is with effect from 20th December 2001 or date of appointment, if later:

A teacher appointed in a qualified capacity on a casual or non-casual basis, otherwise than pursuant to one of the contracts referred to above, may receive an increment in respect of other part-time teaching service given after 20th December 2001 in the following circumstances:

(i) The service must have been satisfactory;
    (ii) A minimum of 600 approved teaching hours shall be required for the award of an increment;
    (iii) The hours worked in any individual school year must exceed 300 teaching hours – e.g. 301 hours or more – and may be carried forward into a succeeding year for the purpose of aggregation;
    (iv) Any hours worked in any one school year which are in excess of the 600 hour threshold shall not be carried over into another year or aggregated with any other hours for the purpose of calculating incremental service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I also have an issue with my increments from when I was subbing. I also don't trust the ETB's response and would like to get some clarification before dealing with them again. It seems to be a common issue - lots of my colleagues have also had problems around this over the years.

I want to check my specific situation with the TUI but I'm not sure what's the best way to contact them about this type of issue. I'd prefer to do it through email to avoid any mix ups or confusion as the back history is a little complex. Should I just contact them through the "contact us" section of the website? I know my Area Rep from the Executive Committee but I don't want to be bothering her with a fairly trivial query - unless that the appropriate person to contact? I don't trust my school rep so won't be talking to her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thanks in advance

Did you contact The Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Thanks to everyone esp rainbowtrout for posting that circular. Re "the union" I foolishly let my membership lapse because of movement between sectors - it's so disheartening to pay out union fees for a union that can't handle issues because you are in the 'wrong' school and then yhe issue was further compounded because you cant switch union during a dispute. I'm sure many subs find themselves in a similar bind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Thanks to everyone esp rainbowtrout for posting that circular. Re "the union" I foolishly let my membership lapse because of movement between sectors - it's so disheartening to pay out union fees for a union that can't handle issues because you are in the 'wrong' school and then yhe issue was further compounded because you cant switch union during a dispute. I'm sure many subs find themselves in a similar bind

You can switch if the school is a different sector ie etb to secondary etc.
    Anyway hours can be aggregated to reach the threshold and increments do not always start on September 1

Advertisement