Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Cost Of Renovation Work

Options
  • 21-07-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently bidding on an old house that has not been inhabited for a while. The house is brick and stone terraced with a cement render. It has single glazed windows and no central heating. It's 120m2 in 2 floors, stairs and main roof structure are fine. I'm looking at a rough cost to renovate almost completely myself bar the electrics and any complicated plumbing for heating etc.

Here's what I'm looking to do.

1. Get rid of the cement render both external walls and re render using lime
    2. Take up floor boards and insulate beneath with sheep wool, membrane etc. it's a suspended floor, all floor boards seem good and joists bar 2 on ground floor seem intact so sand and finish old floor boards.
    3. Knock down a lean to extension and rebuild in timber, foundation already there and good. 1 new window and it's about 15m2
    4. Install kitchen and bathroom in extension where it is already plumbed.
    5. Insulate external walls internallywith lime hemp mix or similar and dry line internal/shared walls and all ceilings.
    6. New front and back doors.
    7. Secondary glazing internally for now as single glazed windows currently there in good condition and I like them!
    8. Re tile about 10-15 damaged tiles on roof.
    9. All finishes will be basic
    10. Will need new hot water system and stove
    11. Probably about a million other things!

I have done this kind of work before but this time it's my house! I also want to do as much work as I can, not for financial reasons but for my own enjoyment. Just wondering has anyone done similar and if so how much did you end up spending as I want to know where best to hire a professional and where to leave it.

Thanks

Advertisement