Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Tesco Mobile prepay plan: €15 for all calls + 10GB data

• 21-07-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭

Tesco Mobile launched a new plan yesterday.

a €15 topup gives all your calls and you keep your call credit, same as before
    but now you get 10GB data for 30 days with it too.

But the unusual thing is for this new plan they added in a time limit instead of letting it run indefinitely.

Opt in details to the new Simple plan in link below:

Terms at http://www.tescomobile.ie/about-us/terms/tcs-prepay-10gb.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

That's a good deal.

I've been with Tescomobile for a few years, but found that since Three took over the O2 network, which I believe Tesco were using, the service is gone to ****ee. At home, the service jumps from 3 bars, to no service to emergency calls only quiet regularly. We're all on Tescomobile here, and each suffer the same problems.

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to go to Vodafone for better service here in the sticks. Pity. Using the clubcard vouchers to top up was a great money saver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No 4G?, you'd be made to get a plan nowadays without 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

No 4G?, you'd be made to get a plan nowadays without 4G.

You would need live/work in a 4G Area. I have a stable 3G and 20GB data with TM which is fine for the area that I live/work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Careful ! Unused part of your 20€ credit is worth zero after 30 days .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bmm wrote: »
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bmm wrote: »
    Is that a typo or are you referring to a different plan as the offer relates to topping up by €15 a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

he means you cant carry credit over onto next month i think

jimmynokia wrote: »
    he means you cant carry credit over onto next month i think
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

On this plan you top up by 15 euro every 30 days. You get free calls and 10 GB data and you keep the 15 euro credit. You can but a text add on for 10 euro and have 5 euro for out of bundle charges.

Im actually on the €15/month plan with Tesco mobile which I find great but this new plan looks sh!tty to me. Im not a big user and I sometimes dont top up for a couple of weeks after the previous 30 day period would have expired. No penalty in doing that.

Also I cant top up in advance which is a good thing. But this plan will allow you to top up before the 30 days is up but you then go into a new 30 day cycle thereby loosing a day or two's paid usage possibly. If you forget to top up then you loose whatever credit you have....thats a big no no for me anyhow.

At the moment I have over a €100 built up so there's no way Id opt into this plan.

• Advertisement

I don't observe where it says you lose the credit. Can someone point it out.
    Is it not the current plan + 10gb?
    However topping up by a minimum of €15 in one go will again give you 30 days of benefits.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I don't observe where it says you lose the credit. Can someone point it out.
    Is it not the current plan + 10gb?
    However topping up by a minimum of €15 in one go will again give you 30 days of benefits.
    This was the bit I was going on.............
    If you fail to complete the minimum top up before the end of a 30 day term then you will lose the Offer benefits and will be charged the new standard rates for calls & texts.

Does this mean ALL the credit that has been built up or just the €15 on the last top up? Reading it again it seems like you loose the €15 only regardless of whether none or some of it was used in the previous 30 days

muffler wrote: »
    Does this mean ALL the credit that has been built up or just the €15 on the last top up? Reading it again it seems like you loose the €15 only regardless of whether none or some of it was used in the previous 30 days
    It's the same plan as now, except 10gb free. Top-up every 30 days to keep unlimited calls.
    You don't lose any credit after 30 days. Just top-up again by €15 to reactivate the offer. I thought it was clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Do they allow tethering?

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Do they allow tethering?
    Tá, infacta I'm tethering right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tá, infacta I'm tethering right now.

Certainly a benefit over Lyca who don't allow it.

How are Tesco for roaming? UK etc? any extra costs to ring home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

I could be completely wrong but I read it as that you lose the benefit of free calls and free 10gig internet and then go onto standard rates for calls and internet and you dont lose your €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tesco roaming costs are expensive. Lyca is great for roaming.
    Maybe the direct q re top up being lost should be asked over on the talk to forum?

brightkane wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong but I read it as that you lose the benefit of free calls and free 10gig internet and then go onto standard rates for calls and internet and you dont lose your €15.
    It says that if you dont top up again then you loose the "offer benefits. Im taking that as being what you have described but also loosing the €15 as that would be considered a benefit.

Lyca for example dont allow you to keep the €15 and perhaps other operators are the same.

I might fire up a question in the talk to forum to see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What's the tesco mobile signal like in Dublin?

• Advertisement

I would take loosing benefits as being the data and unlimited calls, same as current plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

As with all pre pay plans if you don't top up after 30days you will loose your free plan, till you top up again, no mention of loosing your 15€ here all seems above board to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I was with TM until recently. Their 3G was perfectly fine until a few months ago. I think the 3/O2 merger has caused the network to deteriorate. I noticed my phone going back to E or the signal dropping out more than it had before. But it is cheap and cheerful and fairly stable. I occasionally used it for tethering and that was fine. Being able to call landlines abroad for 1c or 2c might suit some people too.

I left because I wanted a higher data allowance than the 5gb they had on offer and also could get 4G elsewhere. What also soured me towards them was the way the tech support here (there's a "Talk to' forum) handled a serious issue. Their roaming abroad is expensive too. But it's cheap and cheerful and you can get clubcard points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm on the top up by 15 (5 euro clubcard points) and get 15 bonus credit. With this I get free texts and I then spend 10 euro of my original credit on 5g data but am finding Im using at least 15gb data over two months. This would be better for me, I think.

sweetie wrote: »
    I'm on the top up by 15 (5 euro clubcard points) and get 15 bonus credit. With this I get free texts and I then spend 10 euro of my original credit on 5g data but am finding Im using at least 15gb data over two months. This would be better for me, I think.
    It's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ikomj

A key question for me: If I change from UNLIMITED TALK to SIMPLE tariff will I keep or lose the credit I have accumulated over a long period of time? Also over the same period I have accumulated a significant amount of data by buying 1Gb every month - will I loose that? And finally if this SIMPLE promotion ends (Jan.17?) will I be able to return to UNLIMITED TALK? Important questions for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

ikomj wrote: »
    A key question for me: If I change from UNLIMITED TALK to SIMPLE tariff will I keep or lose the credit I have accumulated over a long period of time? Also over the same period I have accumulated a significant amount of data by buying 1Gb every month - will I loose that? And finally if this SIMPLE promotion ends (Jan.17?) will I be able to return to UNLIMITED TALK? Important questions for me!
    As far as I can see you will not lose your accumulated credit.
    Dont know about data but with a free 10 GB of date dont think that should worry you too much.
    Promotion ends Jan 17 which means you cannot sign up for it after this date but you can continue use it if already signed up to it.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Good value deal.

Can you still buy the text add onn separately?

Yes. You get the calls and data and keep the 15 euro to buy add on. Same as before 10 euro for text add on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

What's the network really like signal wise?
    I am with 48 and its sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

seanin4711 wrote: »
    What's the network really like signal wise?
    I am with 48 and its sh1te

I'm on bill pay and its fine.

seanin4711 wrote:
    What's the network really like signal wise? I am with 48 and its sh1te

Get a tesco sim and try it for a couple of days in different areas where you live/work. Only way to know for sure as it can vary depending on your location.
    It's probably one of the better mobile providers on the 3 network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

gerard2210 wrote: »
    It's probably one of the better mobile providers on the 3 network.

...if you don't count the lack of 4G, maybe.

...if you don't count the lack of 4G, maybe.

outside of the large cities 4g is non existent. I find tesco internet reasonably fast. Can't get 4g where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Do I have to pay for the sim card or is it free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭NinetyForNone

brijay wrote: »
    Do I have to pay for the sim card or is it free?
    Looks to be €5 online, don't know about in store.

It used to be free when you bought credit

TheDriver wrote: »
    It used to be free when you bought credit
    Still is, with €15 top-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Do tesco mobile use the same network as 48months, would it be safe to assume that if you have a good signal on 48 you should have a good signal on tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sealgaire

what is the deal with data roaming with tesco mobile? I can't figure it out. I'm with 48months and they don't provide it at all, which is a big issue for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

sealgaire wrote: »
    what is the deal with data roaming with tesco mobile? I can't figure it out. I'm with 48months and they don't provide it at all, which is a big issue for me

It's all listed on their roaming support section of their website.

In short, it's 8.15c per MB in the EEA.

Tesco is a very expensive network for roaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Best ways in which to spend the 15 euro credit anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

That's a good deal.

I've been with Tescomobile for a few years, but found that since Three took over the O2 network, which I believe Tesco were using, the service is gone to ****ee. At home, the service jumps from 3 bars, to no service to emergency calls only quiet regularly. We're all on Tescomobile here, and each suffer the same problems.

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to go to Vodafone for better service here in the sticks. Pity. Using the clubcard vouchers to top up was a great money saver.

+1! DH & I with Tesco, and the reception over the last few months has really gone crap! I was with Three BEFORE switching to Tesco (and before the take-over) but something has obviously happened mast-wise since the merge, as my signal is now as bad as what it was when I was with Three! I'd love to make use of this new deal, but no point as I'm suffering same signal issues as JabbaTheHut. When I lose signal, only network connections I can see are METEOR and VODAFONE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

ieoin wrote:

Text bundle for 10

ieoin wrote: »
    There's always a couple of half decent competitions on RTE every week on the likes of the GAA coverage shows and just tonight, the Miriam show. €1.50 a pop and sure if you're not in you cant win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

There's always a couple of half decent competitions on RTE every week on the likes of the GAA coverage shows and just tonight, the Miriam show. €1.50 a pop and sure if you're not in you cant win :)

Not sure if you can text that short code from Tesco but the phone number should work!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Not sure if you can text that short code from Tesco but the phone number should work!
    You can yeah. I entered the Late Late show comp a few times in the last year. The first couple of times I entered by text a little message pops up to warn that money will be deducted from the account but never got that notification again.

I never won though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭kn

breathn wrote: »
    But the unusual thing is for this new plan they added in a time limit instead of letting it run indefinitely.

They have clarified this on the TM forum. That date in January is just a date to sign up by to take advantage of this plan. You will stay on that plan for as long as you want until such time as you might sign up for a different plan that they might offer in the future, or indeed if you choose to leave TM.

They all seem to have cut off dates but keep extending them. I wouldn't take any notice of that.
    At least TmM are doing something to keep up, now just tackle their extortionate roaming rates

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement