Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool Fridge Freezer -recurring problem with motherboard

Options
  • 21-07-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Looking for advice here as I am not being listened to by Whirlpool, valued as a customer or being taking seriously about a complaint about a very expensive Fridge Freezer that was not fit for purpose in the first place.

Basically have a Whirlpool Fridge Freezer American style since 2008. It had an 8 year parts warranty so if there was a problem you just paid a call out charge plus labour but parts were covered by the warranty.

Here's the frustrating thing 4 times in 5 years the mother board has died on the fridge freezer. The engineers said its crazy and that there is too many control electronics on it and the motherboards are just not up to it. so 4 years over €350 euro in call outs and labour to have same problem and same parts replaced 4 times in 5 years in Sep 11, May 13, July 13 July 2015. In any case now you guessed it the bloody motherboard is about to die again.

Whirlpool basically have a computer says no, your not under warranty, too bad, too sad, f off, attitude about it. They say the last motherboard fitted had a 90 day warranty on it ( Bare in mind it initially had an 8 year parts warranty on it ! ) so I have to pay a callout charge ( €100 ) plus labour (€ ?) plus a new motherboard part cost ( €180-250)

My argument is why would I take the gamble of that cost as its failed-died 4 times in 5 years and probably will do again when its not worked properly or been fit for purpose in the first place?

I feel they should replace the fridge freezer as the most expensive part that basically controls everything has failed 4 times in 5 years so there is clearly a problem with this model of Fridge Freezer.

Have I unreal expectations about a products life cycle and that it should work properly for a good number of years hassle free. It seems they knowingly put a product not fit for purpose out in the market they knew there would be recurring problems with and didn't seem bothered the hassle and cost it would cause the consumer. A new replacement model is around €650-€1000. I've already spent €400 on the old one and have to fork out at least €350 to get this banger of a Fridge Freezer repaired.

Opinions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunately you are too far out of consumer protections here at this stage. Hindsight doesn't help things but you should have attempted to obtain a replacement fridge, rather than just the board, after the second or third failure when it was still less than 6 years old.

There is likely another fault causing the board to fail - a component drawing too much voltage or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Quick question... How old is your house and more importantly the electricals in the house.

Can't really speak for fridges but I know in my long long time building and repairing computers the main reason I could see for motherboard issues was power surge. If you are getting repaired again it might be a good idea to fit a surge block, they cost about a tenner, on the socket.

I would expect a fridge mobo wouldn't be as sensitive as a computer but its no harm and they reputable brands like belkin actually insure the device that's plugged into it

Advertisement