Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Astec 49DV but keeping door/window sensors

Options
  • 21-07-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have this alarm since we moved in the house and it is installed in 2000.
    I have had more issues with it and as a result I am not really using it and now once again the battery needs replaced. There is this annoying beep every 30 seconds and pushing clear on the panel does nothing.

It was built to send SMS to my mobile in case of issues/alarms but I just found out Eircom no longer supports SMS on landlines, so pretty useless as well.

Had been looking in past at a new system, but it seems the new systems mostly work on PIR sensors, I like the door/window sensors that I have and they give far less false alarms.

I guess I would like to have my alarm monitored and have a panic button (that I don't yet have). I would like to be able to arm/disarm system remotely.

I would like to keep the current door/window sensors, not too bothered about PIR sensors.

Is it possible to replace the current alarm , keeping all current sensors and wiring and get it monitored ? Any idea about costs ?
    Secondly, can anyone send me the manual for this alarm and give me a tip how to switch off the annoying beep - I don't mind for the alarm to be completely off if that is the only way, but I don't know how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

OK... humble pie here. The beeps were from a smoke alarm in a room I forgot I had one in. I could swear though it came from the alarm.. :D

So, no need to disable the alarm, but still wondering what my options are around replacing the alarm with a more 21st century device and keeping the sensors..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The GSD i70 or upcoming GSD i1070 will allow you to upgrade control panel keypad & bells and keep your window & door sensors. If you have any PiRs they would need to be replaced also.

Thanks for this. Could I simply disable the PIRs altogether ? Or is there a really good reason to have PIRs if every door and window have a sensor ? I read the i70 supports 2 wired zones, I think I have more (how do I actually find out ?)

I am a complete layman when it comes to alarms (as you figured) and see them as a necessary evil.

Any idea how much (roughly) a refit would cost me ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would recommend at least 1 PiR on every installation.
    The i70 comes with the option to add 5 or 10 more wired zones.
    Your Astec system has 6 zones at most.

OK, cool. Would you know who in the North/West Meath area could install these, so I could ask for a quote ? I take it not every installer would have these in their "repertoire" ?

• Advertisement

Apologies, just seen its a 49dv
    That would be 4 perimeter zones. With 7 zones on the GSD you may be able to split those up more though.

I am back..

Had phonewatch around the other evening and that gave me a kick up the back side to start doing something about my alarm. I called the guys who installed the previous alarm and asked for a quote to basically get whatever phonewatch gives you plus a real bell box (as that still works best where I live), window and door sensors and a panic button.

Quote seems to be reasonable and is for HKC system plus a local monitoring company.

The guys said all current (windows, doors and PIR) sensors need to be replaced. Based on the posts above that doesn't seem to be the case... is there any documentation out there (other than these posts here) that I could convince them to re-use the shock sensors on the windows and the opening sensors on the doors ?

Is the quoted GSD system much dearer than a HKC 10/70 perhaps ? Are there any other material differences between the 2 system ?

Then I need to decide phoneline vs GSM for the moniroting. I have a landline and have no intention of getting rid of it in the near future.

I would have thought a landline would be the better option ? If anyone cuts the line, the alarm will go off anyway , whereas if a burglar would use a GSM scrambler I presume the alarm doesn't go off ?

The HKC system will not allow you to use your existing sensors. He's selling you a complete new system here.
    Ask him to quote you for the GSD i70 or i1070?
    Either of these will allow you use your existing sensors and contacts.
    Costwise GSD should be a bit cheaper.
    On the monitoring side look at what contract you are getting back into and what's covered.
    Ideally here you should be looking for a rolling monthly contract so you are free to change at any time with minimum notice. Also check what the maintenance contract covers. Ideally here unlimited call outs and labour.
    On the phone vs GSM both have pros and cons.
    Alarm will only flag an alert if the phone line is cut.
    You could also get costs for duel com using phone line and GSM.
    As always, shop around....

Thanks again... the monitoring seems to be monitoring only , no maintenance, but at a 3rd of the cost of phonewatch.
    I was given a quote for having both PSTN as well as GSM dialer, but I am obviously also looking at what I need vs what it is nice to have.

Any major differences between GSD and HKC system ?

Being able to use the existing Astec Sensors.
    If you are looking at apps/monitoring there is a big difference in costs & comms down notifications etc.
    There is some good information in the sticky here and some other threads. Worth looking into before getting tied into extra ongoing charges.

Monitoring only may seem cheaper, however if your system is to conform to EN50131 it will require annual servicing to maintain that standard.The cost of the annual service may coe close to what some would give you a full maintenance contract for which would cover unlimited callouts & labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks again... the monitoring seems to be monitoring only , no maintenance, but at a 3rd of the cost of phonewatch.
    I was given a quote for having both PSTN as well as GSM dialer, but I am obviously also looking at what I need vs what it is nice to have.

Any major differences between GSD and HKC system ?

If it is your first year with monitoring you should not be charged for maintenance as it is only a new system he is looking to install.
    The second year should include a service agreement.
    From reading your opening post it might be a good time to think about a new install, especially since the original was done in 2000.

So I just had the second alarm man out for a quote. So at least I am following advice for shopping around (incl PW that is 3 now..)

He seemed to be set on a Risco system. When I asked him about GSD being able to re-use the sensors, he inferred that the sensors at this age would be coming close to a natural end of life and that he has been short term fixing quite a few astec sensors in the last years.

At least I have made up my mind and will go with phoneline as opposed to GSM. I can always change later.

At least both guys came up with exactly the same requirements and setup, just a different make.

Installer 1 didn't mention any cost for maintenance, kind of inferred he could do that when he is in the area and not charge mean arm and a leg.
    Installer 2 did mention maintenance contract.Let's see what the quote is he will come back with.

In the mean time I called Phonewatch to cancel (as I had foolishly fallen for their sales pitch when they came to the door last week).. The lady was very nice and didn't push whatsoever..Only to get a call 5 mins later from a very pushy d-head. I told him that I hadn't made up my mind and I would still consider them, but that was clearly not enough and I got all sorts of bull from him.

"Only phonewatch gives a guaranteed garda response and a guaranteed fire brigade response" ( I actually spoke to the gardai last week and know this absolute bull)
    " Bell boxes are no deterrent, you can't rely on your neighbours" ( Arrogant b**d, how does he know how our little rural community works here..)
    " Why do you think we have half a million(!) customers, because it works" ( No, because they can't switch and your mother company has half a million customers in various countries)

And then then the best "We are the cheapest " LOL..

He then had the audacity to tell me that "I have another few days to make up my mind" , Actually, no, I don't , I have already canceled and I was considering phonewatch up until this phone call.

Something tells me I better get a registered mail over to this crowd to confirm the cancellation... If I can't trust them as business partner , how could I trust them with the security of me and my family ...
    Maybe a bit off topic this rant, but had to be said. It is now very clear to me they are not a security company, they are just a sales and marketing company shifting alarms. For anyone who will have the bad luck to get one of them at their doorstep... ask one technical question to the sales guy... he will not know the answer and will have to call someone...

Up until now I was a bit skeptic about all the bad press they got here.. no more.. I would stay well clear .. and I will .

So I just had the second alarm man out for a quote. So at least I am following advice for shopping around (incl PW that is 3 now..)

He seemed to be set on a Risco system. When I asked him about GSD being able to re-use the sensors, he inferred that the sensors at this age would be coming close to a natural end of life and that he has been short term fixing quite a few astec sensors in the last years.

Has your existing system been giving you any false alarms?
    If yes replace the sensors now. If not leave them as is. There are so many lads now who just want to install new systems.I have plenty of systems 20 years + with no sensor issues.
    I'm curious how he fix's sensors???Most of us replace them.
    On the Risco system beware, there are some companies where these are locked down & no one else can service them or replace parts.

Installer 1 didn't mention any cost for maintenance, kind of inferred he could do that when he is in the area and not charge mean arm and a leg.
    Installer 2 did mention maintenance contract.Let's see what the quote is he will come back with.
    All very vague. Again I'd suggest getting something more formal. As part of EN50131-1 he must provide you with a system design proposal covering all this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

At least both guys came up with exactly the same requirements and setup, just a different make.

Most wont charge in the first year as you are covered as its a new system so it will be interesting to see what he says with regards this.

Advertisement