Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

By social I mean teams that don't train in any sort of dedicated manner. Typically they'll be pretty good standard players but not wanting to play serious rugby.

Don't think formal leagues is the place for them. They might not mean harm but they mess it up for teams that want to take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gaius c wrote: »
    By social I mean teams that don't train in any sort of dedicated manner. Typically they'll be pretty good standard players but not wanting to play serious rugby.

Don't think formal leagues is the place for them. They might not mean harm but they mess it up for teams that want to take it seriously.
    But the formal leagues has to be their place until/unless you have a proper alternative.

Winters cup is going to be split this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Moved up to Galway a few months back and looking to get back into Rugby. Haven't played since U14's (23 now). Can this still be done or have I missed out on too much? Who should I talk to?

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel S wrote: »
    Moved up to Galway a few months back and looking to get back into Rugby. Haven't played since U14's (23 now). Can this still be done or have I missed out on too much? Who should I talk to?

Thanks,

Dan
    Yes it can be done. There is 4 clubs in the city. Galwegians and Corinthians are the senior clubs in the city. Both field 3 sides at adult level. Their 3rd teams are very much social teams which would be suitable for you.
    NUIG are an open club and there is plenty of members who are not students playing with them. They have 2 adult sides. One playing at j2 level, same level as Galwegians and Corinthians 3rds teams.
    In terms of who to talk to. Look at the Various club websites and see who are the clubs coaching contact/director of rugby and talk to them http://community.connachtrugby.ie/my-product/connacht-branch-regulations-2015-16/

All 6 cups have been drawn and fixtures are up on leinster website.

Some of the cups are starting the weekend after next.
    Metro cup
    1st round
    Barnhall v Trinity
    Marys v Clontarf
    Monkstown v UCD
    Old Wesley v Old Belvedere
    Wanderers v DLSP
    Greystones v Terenure
    Lansdowne v Blackrock
    Malahide v Seapoint

Albert O Connell J2 Cup
    1st Round
    Clontarf v Bective
    Suttonians v Stillorglin
    Terenure v Railway Union
    2nd round
    Clontarf/Bective v Suttonians/Stillorglin
    Old Belvedere v Old Wesley
    Coolmine v Lansdowne
    St Marys v winners Terenure/Railway

Moran J3 Cup
    1st Round
    UCD v Malahide
    Garda v MU Barnhall
    Bective v Monkstown
    Railway Union v DLSP
    2nd Round
    Coolmine v Lansdowne
    Wanderers v Blackrock
    Bective/Monkstown v Railway Union/DLSP

Winters J4 Cup
    1st Round
    CYM v Trinity
    Guinness v Wanderers
    Old Belvedere v Greystones
    Clontarf v St Marys
    2nd Round
    CYM/Trinity v Guinness/Wanferers
    Old Wesley v Coolmine
    Terenure v Barnhall
    Old Belvedere/Greystones v Clontarf/St Marys

O Connor J5 Cup
    1st Round
    Tallaght v Trinity
    Bective v Coolmine
    Blackrock v Old Wesley
    Parkmore v Stillorglin
    Seapoint v DLSP
    2nd Round
    AIB v Clontarf

Guilfoyle-Jame J6 Cup
    1st Round
    Emerald Warriors v Clontarf
    Malahide v Bective
    Monkstown v Suttonians
    MU Barnhall v St Marys
    Stillorglin v Old Belvedere
    2nd Round
    DLSP v BGF Ravens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The social teams mess up the league though. They pick and choose what games they'll play and they tend to field when they reckon they've an easy win coming up. It's a social league, not a platform for flat track bullies to hammer teams trying to make a proper first of it.

Definitely a case of that with one club that will remain nameless in Div11... I don't see the point of it myself. Team I saw them put out today was mostly made up of u20s/senior cup players which are on a totally different level you'd find in the lower divisions. What do they gain by trouncing teams who'll never be on their level?

.ak wrote: »
    Definitely a case of that with one club that will remain nameless in Div11... I don't see the point of it myself. Team I saw them put out today was mostly made up of u20s/senior cup players which are on a totally different level you'd find in the lower divisions. What do they gain by trouncing teams who'll never be on their level?
    I know what club you are referring to. They set up a 20s team this season for first time in a long time and added another metro team to cope with the extra players not able to get a game with their 20s.
    I don't think they were able to get the team into a higher division than division 11. They should be playing 2/3 divisions higher

I know what club you are referring to. They set up a 20s team this season for first time in a long time and added another metro team to cope with the extra players not able to get a game with their 20s.
    I don't think they were able to get the team into a higher division than division 11. They should be playing 2/3 divisions higher

At the very least. I reckon our div5 team would struggle with them.

On a side note it's very weird feeling waking up in bits because a 19 year old centre walked all over you for 65 minutes.

Like I don't even think we could drink with them after if they didn't have ID! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any Guiness players on here? I hear that the Iveagh grounds was bought by Trinity is that true? how will it affect the sports teams there and specifically the rugby team?

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Any Guiness players on here? I hear that the Iveagh grounds was bought by Trinity is that true? how will it affect the sports teams there and specifically the rugby team?
    Im not but from what I know. Trinity have been rumoured to take it over but the sports teams there will stay there

At the very least. I reckon our div5 team would struggle with them.

On a side note it's very weird feeling waking up in bits because a 19 year old centre walked all over you for 65 minutes.

Like I don't even think we could drink with them after if they didn't have ID! :pac:
    Im not so sure on that(bit about div 5 side). They wouldn't have been let by competition committee to enter team into a higher division and its a second string 20s squad of a club who's main 20s are division 3.

Im not but from what I know. Trinity have been rumoured to take it over but the sports teams there will stay there

Ah good was thinking it would be a struggle for a small club to keep going without any facilities, cheers.

Im not so sure on that(bit about div 5 side). They wouldn't have been let by competition committee to enter team into a higher division and its a second string 20s squad of a club who's main 20s are division 3.

That's all well and good on paper, but I've played against our div5 side and train with them and whilst they're generally bigger guys at that level the guys we played on Saturday defo would've given our div5 side a good run. The pace and power u20s have coming through the system is on another level you get at Junior level imo.

That's all well and good on paper, but I've played against our div5 side and train with them and whilst they're generally bigger guys at that level the guys we played on Saturday defo would've given our div5 side a good run. The pace and power u20s have coming through the system is on another level you get at Junior level imo.
    I saw this sides play earlier in the season and they would struggle considerably against teams at division 5/6 or higher. Not all 20s will have that pace and power particularly if they cant make a 20s side within a club that is competing in division 3 of the 20s league and not even doing well in that

Stopped playing a few years now and I hated playing against real young teams near the end except the young props, always fancied themselves always get eaten at scrum time that said they could generally run faster and longer than me but I don't relive those moments in the bar after a game.

I saw this sides play earlier in the season and they would struggle considerably against teams at division 5/6 or higher. Not all 20s will have that pace and power particularly if they cant make a 20s side within a club that is competing in division 3 of the 20s league and not even doing well in that

In fairness all I said is they would give them a good go and a div5 could struggle with them (read: not lose).

The point I'm making is they shouldn't be playing in Div11. For me Div10/11 is for teams of players who are getting back into the sport, or just starting, or have gotten too old for higher divisions.

Putting in a team of that level in Div11.. What purpose does it serve other than make a mockery of guys who are actually putting in hard graft to win the league when they cherry pick what games they want to pick.

In fairness all I said is they would give them a good go and a div5 could struggle with them (read: not lose).

The point I'm making is they shouldn't be playing in Div11. For me Div10/11 is for teams of players who are getting back into the sport, or just starting, or have gotten too old for higher divisions.

Putting in a team of that level in Div11.. What purpose does it serve other than make a mockery of guys who are actually putting in hard graft to win the league when they cherry pick what games they want to pick.
    This side will have had players playing 20s division 3 which isn't a high standard and there is also plenty of older newer players playing from when ive seen them play. They will move up into other teams if/when required.
    They probably shouldn't as a whole be playing division 11 but ive also seen plenty of them play 20s and higher teams on occasions.
    What other rugby should these guys play then?
    They cant just be added straight into another division and if these guys cant make a 20s division 3 team then.....

This side will have had players playing 20s division 3 which isn't a high standard and there is also plenty of older newer players playing from when ive seen them play. They will move up into other teams if/when required.
    They probably shouldn't as a whole be playing division 11 but ive also seen plenty of them play 20s and higher teams on occasions.
    What other rugby should these guys play then?
    They cant just be added straight into another division and if these guys cant make a 20s division 3 team then.....

Am I being naive in saying they should be playing in a league where they're not clearly miles ahead? Div7 surely?

Like they're not there for winning, they clearly just want game time. So go play in a league that'll offer them a competitive fixture if they don't fancy playing to win.

I still don't think they should be in any division if they don't want to compete properly.

Aren't teams supposed to be graded consistently? Would they be reviewed at the end of the season for example? Also how many games can a team concede before being asked to withdraw from the league?

• Advertisement

Am I being naive in saying they should be playing in a league where they're not clearly miles ahead? Div7 surely?

Like they're not there for winning, they clearly just want game time. So go play in a league that'll offer them a competitive fixture if they don't fancy playing to win.

I still don't think they should be in any division if they don't want to compete properly.

Aren't teams supposed to be graded consistently? Would they be reviewed at the end of the season for example? Also how many games can a team concede before being asked to withdraw from the league?
    This team afaik was only added into the league late enough when the club realised they had enough excess under 20s from the squad playing lower division 20s rugby combined with excess players from their 3rd/4ths to allow this team play,
    They wont be pushed into a very high division automatically especially when that would have meant being pushed into a division several divisions ahead of social teams the club already runs.
    I imagine it would be reviewed at the end of the season.
    In most leagues the rules about concession will be 2 strikes and you are out but when you have leagues like division 11 and it is beginners/social rugby those rules will kind of go out the window.

Same team has conceded games against other teams. In a competitive division, that will be the difference between one team making a playoff and another not.

There's actually two teams at it in div 11, not just one and it's making a mockery of the effort the genuine teams are putting in because of the random factor it is introducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

All 6 cups have been drawn and fixtures are up on leinster website.

Some of the cups are starting the weekend after next.
    Metro cup
    1st round
    Barnhall v Trinity
    Marys v Clontarf
    Monkstown v UCD
    Old Wesley v Old Belvedere
    Wanderers v DLSP
    Greystones v Terenure
    Lansdowne v Blackrock
    Malahide v Seapoint

Albert O Connell J2 Cup
    1st Round
    Clontarf v Bective
    Suttonians v Stillorglin
    Terenure v Railway Union
    2nd round
    Clontarf/Bective v Suttonians/Stillorglin
    Old Belvedere v Old Wesley
    Coolmine v Lansdowne
    St Marys v winners Terenure/Railway

Moran J3 Cup
    1st Round
    UCD v Malahide
    Garda v MU Barnhall
    Bective v Monkstown
    Railway Union v DLSP
    2nd Round
    Coolmine v Lansdowne
    Wanderers v Blackrock
    Bective/Monkstown v Railway Union/DLSP

Winters J4 Cup
    1st Round
    CYM v Trinity
    Guinness v Wanderers
    Old Belvedere v Greystones
    Clontarf v St Marys
    2nd Round
    CYM/Trinity v Guinness/Wanferers
    Old Wesley v Coolmine
    Terenure v Barnhall
    Old Belvedere/Greystones v Clontarf/St Marys

O Connor J5 Cup
    1st Round
    Tallaght v Trinity
    Bective v Coolmine
    Blackrock v Old Wesley
    Parkmore v Stillorglin
    Seapoint v DLSP
    2nd Round
    AIB v Clontarf

Guilfoyle-Jame J6 Cup
    1st Round
    Emerald Warriors v Clontarf
    Malahide v Bective
    Monkstown v Suttonians
    MU Barnhall v St Marys
    Stillorglin v Old Belvedere
    2nd Round
    DLSP v BGF Ravens

Do you have a link sheep? Can't seem to find them. O'Connor Cup specifically

GavMan wrote: »
    Do you have a link sheep? Can't seem to find them. O'Connor Cup specifically
    All are on the leinster domestic website in fixtures and results.
    On drop down select senior men than cups.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-rugby/domestic-fixtures-results/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

All are on the leinster domestic website in fixtures and results.
    On drop down select senior men than cups.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-rugby/domestic-fixtures-results/

fair play. wasn't showing up on Mobile for me. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Whats the story with the Provincial Towns Cup, is it only for teams outside Dublin or can Dublin Teams( Non AIL) enter ?

• Advertisement

Whats the story with the Provincial Towns Cup, is it only for teams outside Dublin or can Dublin Teams(Non AIL) enter?
    Its for teams outside Dublin. Non AIL Dublin sides cannot enter
    The competition was originally an all province competition but "The conditions of the competition were changed for the 1926 running of the competition and only Junior Clubs who were located at least 18 miles from the General Post Office in O’Connell Street were eligible to compete."
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-rugby/domestic-clubs/club-competitions/#TownsCup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Its for teams outside Dublin. Non AIL Dublin sides cannot enter
    The competition was originally an all province competition but "The conditions of the competition were changed for the 1926 running of the competition and only Junior Clubs who were located at least 18 miles from the General Post Office in O’Connell Street were eligible to compete."
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-rugby/domestic-clubs/club-competitions/#TownsCup

Except for Clondalkin for some reason :confused:

blackwhite wrote: »
    Except for Clondalkin for some reason :confused:
    That was what it originally was. It may have changed for slightly.

That was what it originally was. It may have changed for slightly.

To be fair - I'm pretty sure they're a recent addition to it. Still don't understand why though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To be fair - I'm pretty sure they're a recent addition to it. Still don't understand why though!

Clondalkin got in as their first team played their rugby in the provincial league.

• Advertisement

Clondalkin got in as their first team played their rugby in the provincial league.

So do Coolmine and they've been blocked every time they've asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So do Coolmine and they've been blocked every time they've asked.

Feckin Northsiders :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

Can anyone tell me how many games a team can concede before they are out of league !
    Cheers ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

devolution wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how many games a team can concede before they are out of league !
    Cheers ðŸ»

Offically I think it's two. Though how the games are conceded is a factor, if they start the game and concede after 5 or 10 mins I don't think that counts as the same. Or if they start the game with no front row, though they are conceding points, they aren't conceding the game.

If you're asking in relation to division 11, the answer is that nobody knows as the branch seem to have given up on having that league as a proper contest for the teams that would like to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Whats the story with the Provincial Towns Cup, is it only for teams outside Dublin or can Dublin Teams( Non AIL) enter ?

As far as I know, once a club is part of one of the four regions that is not the Metropolitan region, they can enter. I think Clondalkin switched from the Metro region and entered the North Midlands region instead. Coolmine, who somebody else mentioned, are a Metro club.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think it's available for any senior club more that 15 miles from Dublin city centre.

Thus you get some metro teams like skeeries in it.

sydthebeat wrote:
    I think it's available for any senior club more that 15 miles from Dublin city centre. Thus you get some metro teams like skeeries in it.
    original competition was based on a club being 13/15 miles from the GPO

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think it's available for any senior club more that 15 miles from Dublin city centre.

Thus you get some metro teams like skeeries in it.

What I posted is how the competition currently works to the best of my knowledge. Skerries are now also a member of the North East region from what I can see. No longer a Metro club.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Number 137 wrote: »
    What I posted is how the competition currently works to the best of my knowledge. Skerries are now also a member of the North East region from what I can see. No longer a Metro club.

as far as i am aware, the initial competition rules were that the competition was available for any junior club outside of 15 miles of dublin city centre (or the GPO as lost sheep says)...

it was created for clubs not playing in the metropolitan cup

if those participation rules have changed, i havent heard of it.

• Advertisement

So that Club located in Donnybrook basically
    Only have play 4 league games ( Run up huge scores) Concede 4 games ( So far). & they are in the Semi Final of the Cup!
    Also to compete in the Cup do you not have to have played 6 matches to Qualify to play ( or be Re-graded )
    Would make for interesting Team sheets & they do have recent history here !

Only have play 4 league games ( Run up huge scores) Concede 4 games ( So far). & they are in the Semi Final of the Cup!
    Also to compete in the Cup do you not have to have played 6 matches to Qualify to play ( or be Re-graded )

4 appearances required to qualify to play in the cup.

From what I've heard, Branch are doing a lot of reviews of cup teamsheets this season - without requiring an objection from either team to trigger a review.

That would be great if they did so .
    Hopefully clubs approach the Cups knowing that their been monitored & knowing the penalties , At least you get to a stage where the clubs are self regulating & keeping their house in order !

Only have play 4 league games ( Run up huge scores) Concede 4 games (So far). & they are in the Semi Final of the Cup!
    Also to compete in the Cup do you not have to have played 6 matches to Qualify to play (or be Re-graded)
    That club also only introduced that team late right before start of league as they found they had excess 20s players having reintroduced a 20s team. The league is developmental and its a purely 20s side and also would be dependent on call ups to that clubs main 20s side.
    That would be great if they did so.
    Hopefully clubs approach the Cups knowing that their been monitored & knowing the penalties, At least you get to a stage where the clubs are self regulating & keeping their house in order !
    The branch are always checking team sheets for misuse/abuse and you are very naïve if you think clubs will ever be self regulating as there will always be clubs who will attempt to cheat the system somehow

Not been naive just wishful thinking !

Always thought it might be a suggestion that the Braanch should inform all clubs presidents or club secretary's before Cups start of the consequences of fielding ineligible players at least then clubs might do a bit of housekeeping !
    No president wants to be the one who has to return a trophy on his watch !

Not been naive just wishful thinking!

Always thought it might be a suggestion that the Branch should inform all clubs presidents or club secretary's before Cups start of the consequences of fielding ineligible players at least then clubs might do a bit of housekeeping!
    No president wants to be the one who has to return a trophy on his watch!
    Clubs/Secretaries will know the regs and coaches even more so all too often. Unless you start introducing match commissioners like what occurs at youths rugby where a member of competitions committee or branch arrives at game and checks team sheets and checks players for their id cards.
    Something similar could happen at adult level.

4 appearances required to qualify to play in the cup.

From what I've heard, Branch are doing a lot of reviews of cup teamsheets this season - without requiring an objection from either team to trigger a review.

Yep. At least three clubs kicked out of j1 cup this year.

Not really going to have much of a self regulating system when clubs are unaware of the rules they are subject to. One of the clubs ejected from j1 cup put in a protest while being unaware that they themselves had an ineligible player on their teamsheet.

In fairness to the branch , They have "fired a shot across the Bow " so most teams at this stage should know what their getting into !

• Advertisement

So most cups nearly up. How did peoples seasons end?

Advertisement