Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2016/2017

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So most cups nearly up. How did peoples seasons end?

I'm with Terenure in division 10. We have Belvo in the cup semi on Saturday, and a league final vs Clondalkin coming up too. Exciting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So most cups nearly up. How did peoples seasons end?

Out of the cup but we still have a game in hand to get to a league final on Saturday... We actually had to replay the game this Saturday, game got called off in Monkstown FC due to a suspected serious neck injury last Saturday..
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm with Terenure in division 10. We have Belvo in the cup semi on Saturday, and a league final vs Clondalkin coming up too. Exciting times.

Which cup is that? Did we (Clontarf) play you last round? I was away for it but I heard you's played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We (Tallaght) will be playing DLSP in the Div 7 final, once the last round of games are played. Was talk of it being on easter Saturday but date isn't confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

We (Tallaght) will be playing DLSP in the Div 7 final, once the last round of games are played. Was talk of it being on easter Saturday but date isn't confirmed.

Branch currently have it down for Easter Sat. Unlikely to be moved from that unless both sides agree

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭devolution

Some Big Finals this weekend !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

devolution wrote: »
    Some Big Finals this weekend !
    Yeah division 10&11 finals.
    Are their many other finals still to be played

Connacht social rugby, j2, has 1 cup still to finish and thats at semi final stage. ard na cregg. Boys Club v Ballina and Corinthians v Galwegians.

Yeah division 10&11 finals.
    Are their many other finals still to be played

Connacht social rugby, j2, has 1 cup still to finish and thats at semi final stage. ard na cregg. Boys Club v Ballina and Corinthians v Galwegians.

Yep, we're Nure & against Clondalkin!
    Winters & O'Connor cup finals also , Weso in both !
    Mary's in div 11 also !

Perfect end to our (Clontarf) season, winning the div11 league against Mary's. Bit of a scrappy game, very much had a final feel to it, but both teams played really good rugby and varied attack, the sides were so even it was 0-0 at half time. Couple of unlucky bounces was the difference between me getting under the sticks to all of a sudden defending on our 5m, there really was nothing in it. Great turn out for a div11 game. Body and head are very sore today.

Have to say, two years ago after a couple of seasons where I was in the hospital A&E room more than playing and questioning should I go back playing or not, this little bit of metal makes it all worth it. Absolutely chuffed.

415399.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Well done to the winners and especially Clondalkin for getting promoted twice in the one season.

We lost to. Clondalkin in what was a real humdinger going right to the end !
    Great Crowd , Grest Final & had good laugh with them after in the bar ( which also turned into another big Sat night sesh )
    Not complaining , we set ourselves a challenge to get to a final , so to get to two of them & win one
    Makes for a thourghly enjoyable season !
    The Guilfoyle is a nice big old school cup also ðŸ‰ðŸ˜œ
    #canstilbarelywalk

• Advertisement

We lost to. Clondalkin in what was a real humdinger going right to the end !
    Great Crowd , Grest Final & had good laugh with them after in the bar ( which also turned into another big Sat night sesh )
    Not complaining , we set ourselves a challenge to get to a final , so to get to two of them & win one
    Makes for a thourghly enjoyable season !
    The Guilfoyle is a nice big old school cup also ðŸ‰ðŸ˜œ
    #canstilbarelywalk

Looked like a decent scoreline alright!

See you in Div10 next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Christ how much divisions are in Leinster :eek:

Starting from J1 ( metro 1)
    Down to metro league 11

irishman86 wrote:
    Christ how much divisions are in Leinster
    11 and these range from senior ail clubs 2nd teams in top division to clubs 4ths, 5ths, 6ths in bottom divisions while some clubs are social clubs and field 1 maybe 2 teams and both compete in lower divisions

11 and these range from senior ail clubs 2nd teams in top division to clubs 4ths, 5ths, 6ths in bottom divisions while some clubs are social clubs and field 1 maybe 2 teams and both compete in lower divisions

Thats massive, is munster that high quantity wise. I think Connacht has 5 if it even has that anymore

irishman86 wrote:
    Thats massive, is munster that high quantity wise. I think Connacht has 5 if it even has that anymore
    no Munster isnt as high at all. Connacht has 3 divisions of j1 rugby and a j2 league. The senior clubs bar Sligo and some of the stronger junior clubs will have their second teams competing in the j1 league. There is around 20 teams across 3 j1 divisions and then another 10 in the j2 league.

no Munster isnt as high at all. Connacht has 3 divisions of j1 rugby and a j2 league. The senior clubs bar Sligo and some of the stronger junior clubs will have their second teams competing in the j1 league. There is around 20 teams across 3 j1 divisions and then another 10 in the j2 league.

I was thinking that it wasnt 5. Its been a while since Ive played :o

Reckon it could get cut to 10 divisions next year.

gaius c wrote: »

Why's that? Teams pulling out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I hope not, we were planning to put a new team in division 11

• Advertisement

Well it's actually 10 divisions already as div 8 got cut. 76 teams and some of those are more social teams who aren't taking the league seriously and muck it up for those who are.

I expect the deletion of div 8 to be made permanent and the divs below to be renamed one up.

Well it's actually 10 divisions already as div 8 got cut. 76 teams and some of those are more social teams who aren't taking the league seriously and muck it up for those who are.

I expect the deletion of div 8 to be made permanent and the divs below to be renamed one up.

Metro AGM is next week, and AFAIK it's something due for discussion.
    It was due to the designation of "Social" and the associated scrum rules having already been locked down that the numbers weren't changed last year. Would have required an EGM to change the social designations

gaius c wrote:
    but that level of rugby is and always has been social rugby. How do you change things for teams with different priorities?

blackwhite wrote:
    Metro AGM is next week, and AFAIK it's something due for discussion. It was due to the designation of "Social" and the associated scrum rules having already been locked down that the numbers weren't changed last year. Would have required an EGM to change the social designations
    what would you change about scrum laws and for what divisions?

but that level of rugby is and always has been social rugby. How do you change things for teams with different priorities?

what would you change about scrum laws and for what divisions?

You misread me (and I got my terminology wrong between social and development)

There's different rules for the divisions designated as development, the big one being around allowing teams to elect to go uncontested from the start without any penalty.

If last year, when Div 8 was scrapped, it was suggested that Div 9 should become Div 8, 10 become 9, and 11 become 10.
    However, because the designation of what divisions were development leagues had been already made, it would have meant that the previous development teams in 10 would have become subject to different rules in the new Div 9.

At the AGM this year Div 9 and 10 can be classified development, 11 scrapped, and last seasons 9-11 all shift up one.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Metro AGM is next week, and AFAIK it's something due for discussion.
    It was due to the designation of "Social" and the associated scrum rules having already been locked down that the numbers weren't changed last year. Would have required an EGM to change the social designations

By "social", I mean teams that don't field for all their allocated fixtures and when they do field, the strength of their teams can vary considerably. Division 11 was very tight at the top this year. Teams 2, 3 & 4 finished on 30, 30 and 29 points and the final placings were very much determined by the "turn up when they felt like it" teams.

If a team is conceding one week and hosing teams the next, they should politely be asked to use friendlies to arrange fixtures and not a metro league that others train hard for.

The only team that didn't get any walkovers was Emerald Warriors and I think that says a lot about the mentality of the teams who were doing it. Warriors would still would have lost all their games but their performances improved over the course of the season to the extent that the only hammerings after November were the against the two teams I'm talking about.

Agreed and I would just like to say fair play to Warriors, really representing what junior rugby is all about, giving people who love the game the oppertunity to play the sport, and as you say rather than getting disheartened by being on the end of some ugly scorelines they infact did the opposite and have gotten better and better. Wish them all the best and they have some tidy players and it looks like their open days have worked out for them. They play a good brand of rugby too and have caught teams on the counter a few times. Always enjoyed playing them, as a back there's always good running rugby from both sides.

blackwhite wrote: »
    You misread me (and I got my terminology wrong between social and development)

There's different rules for the divisions designated as development, the big one being around allowing teams to elect to go uncontested from the start without any penalty.

If last year, when Div 8 was scrapped, it was suggested that Div 9 should become Div 8, 10 become 9, and 11 become 10.
    However, because the designation of what divisions were development leagues had been already made, it would have meant that the previous development teams in 10 would have become subject to different rules in the new Div 9.

At the AGM this year Div 9 and 10 can be classified development, 11 scrapped, and last seasons 9-11 all shift up one.
    Ah rite. Fair enough. That makes more sense.
    By "social", I mean teams that don't field for all their allocated fixtures and when they do field, the strength of their teams can vary considerably. Division 11 was very tight at the top this year. Teams 2, 3 & 4 finished on 30, 30 and 29 points and the final placings were very much determined by the "turn up when they felt like it" teams.

If a team is conceding one week and hosing teams the next, they should politely be asked to use friendlies to arrange fixtures and not a metro league that others train hard for.

The only team that didn't get any walkovers was Emerald Warriors and I think that says a lot about the mentality of the teams who were doing it. Warriors would still would have lost all their games but their performances improved over the course of the season to the extent that the only hammerings after November were the against the two teams I'm talking about.
    Thats natural at that level though and clubs shouldnt be asked to do that with friendlies but clubs who do pick and choose games to play should be penalised in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Thats natural at that level though and clubs shouldnt be asked to do that with friendlies but clubs who do pick and choose games to play should be penalised in some form.

Surely the answer to that is to apply the rules that goes for the leagues above. Miss one or two matches and lose points, miss anymore and your gone.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Surely the answer to that is to apply the rules that goes for the leagues above. Miss one or two matches and lose points, miss anymore and your gone.
    But its social/beginners rugby by and large. The rules around not fielding will be different than more "competive" divisions.
    You cant really have a two strikes and your out ruling in these cases by and large. There will always be exceptions though.

• Advertisement

But its social/beginners rugby by and large. The rules around not fielding will be different than more "competive" divisions.
    You cant really have a two strikes and your out ruling in these cases by and large. There will always be exceptions though.

Outside the teams taking the p**s how many of the other teams missed more than two games? Obviously you could plead your case but at least it would be a deterrent to anyone taking the piss.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Outside the teams taking the p**s how many of the other teams missed more than two games? Obviously you could plead your case but at least it would be a deterrent to anyone taking the piss.

There was a few teams this year missed games due to higher teams within their clubs needing multiple players to cover for injuries.

The bottom teams conceding is an inevitable consequence of the rule that penalises all teams in the club if a lower team plays and a higher team fails to field.

i think the branch just need to look at the teams that were dropping fixtures this season & ask them if they are "in or out" & in reality. Can they really field regularly , in fairness to the branch they flagged the rules to all clubs regarding the Cuos & league finals & I think for the most part
    most clubs towed the line !
    Playing in div 10 this season was really competitive & went right down to the last games !
    Ps, I really wish they could come up with a better term then "Social Rugby "
    There was nothing social about our own games the last 2 weekends with teams knocking lumps out of one another on the pitch , It's only Social in the bar after !

i think the branch just need to look at the teams that were dropping fixtures this season & ask them if they are "in or out" & in reality. Can they really field regularly , in fairness to the branch they flagged the rules to all clubs regarding the Cuos & league finals & I think for the most part
    most clubs towed the line !
    Playing in div 10 this season was really competitive & went right down to the last games !
    Ps, I really wish they could come up with a better term then "Social Rugby "
    There was nothing social about our own games the last 2 weekends with teams knocking lumps out of one another on the pitch , It's only Social in the bar after !

If they did field regularly, they'd be in a much higher division but that would require commitment and hard work.

Much easier to turn up a few times a year and flat track bully lads learning the game. Also play fast and loose with teamsheets because "sure it's a nothing league and we don't care about it anyway".

That's not what the development leagues should be about.

stephen_n wrote:
    i do the know. But there will always be a few. With 10 divisions of 8 sides there will always be quite a few who won't have been able to commit to all their games for some reason. Most of the metro divisions are social rugby, that means you should be giving allowances to the teams who can't field every week if it means stopping them stops 25+ from playing

devolution wrote:
    i think the branch just need to look at the teams that were dropping fixtures this season & ask them if they are "in or out" & in reality. Can they really field regularly, in fairness to the branch they flagged the rules to all clubs regarding the Cuos & league finals & I think for the most part most clubs towed the line! Playing in div 10 this season was really competitive & went right down to the last games! Ps, I really wish they could come up with a better term then "Social Rugby" There was nothing social about our own games the last 2 weekends with teams knocking lumps out of one another on the pitch, It's only Social in the bar after!
    social rugby is a fair enough term. Irrespective of how ye approach the games round this time of year...
    The metro committee do and will look at sides who dropped. Clubs have to say at start of year can they or will they be fielding "x" amount of teams in the season to come. That will/can change year on year

Development rugby is a better term and is what they should be using.

Women's rugby has development leagues no matter how social the teams in those leagues may be.
    Also they regularly take to the field with 12 players if they have to in order to fulfill fixtures. A few mens clubs could do with taking a leaf from their book.

If you can't tell already, I really really don't have any time for flat track bullies in leagues intended for development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Not sure if a new thread has been started but I was just looking at the fixtures in the metro. Interesting to see that Div 1&2 of the metro leagues both have Old Wes, Tarf, Marys and Lansdowne. I think most people expected something like this to happen. Also interesting to see that Div 1 is essentially what you would have predicted when the new structure came out.

Will be interesting to see who comes up from Div 3 this year. On a somewhat related note does anyone know anything about the Dogos and what they're expected to be like?

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Not sure if a new thread has been started but I was just looking at the fixtures in the metro. Interesting to see that Div 1&2 of the metro leagues both have Old Wes, Tarf, Marys and Lansdowne. I think most people expected something like this to happen. Also interesting to see that Div 1 is essentially what you would have predicted when the new structure came out.

Will be interesting to see who comes up from Div 3 this year. On a somewhat related note does anyone know anything about the Dogos and what they're expected to be like?

Here

Advertisement