Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SportsDirect

Options
  • 21-07-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭

I see it's opening soon in the old Boyers in city centre. Is this the first shop to open in Ireland?

Wouldn't say the old guard Sports outlets will bee too happy given the prices on their website but I'm sure consumers will be delighted.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kfallon wrote: »
    I see it's opening soon in the old Boyers in city centre. Is this the first shop to open in Ireland?

Wouldn't say the old guard Sports outlets will bee too happy given the prices on their website but I'm sure consumers will be delighted.

Technically no, sports direct owned 50% of Heatons (Hence the sportsworlds that resided in them) and not SD have bought heatons outright so will open their own range of stores over here in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In case anyone's thinking about applying to work at Sports Direct, in the UK they're under fire for their working practices that sound positively Dickensian. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seemly they bought out Heatons recently. They will be in Charlestown Shopping Centre too soon enough, theres already a Heatons and Sportsworld there that's does be half decent.

Will Heatons remain or are they shutting the Heatons stores for their sports shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sportsworld was already a joint venture between Sports Direct and Heatons. Most Heatons stores have a Sportsworld section within them. Sportsdirect now have fully taken over Heatons but will operate the two businesses per the current model. I imagine they'll ditch the Sportsworld name and replace with Sports Direct for the sports departments but keep the Heatons name for the non sports clothing, homewares, etc.

Heatons is handy for household or homeware stuff at very inexpensive prices but they're clothing range is really rather basic and cheap looking - similar to Guineys. They will be a good addition to the city centre for bargain conscious consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Is it possible to change stuff bought online in Heston's stores as they are now sports direct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Looks near enough to completion, anyone have any idea of the opening date?

I'm not familiar with the USC brand opening with it. Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Used to be a USC on Henry St years ago.
    It sells other brands owned by the group like Firetrap etc...

Thanks, I was thinking it sounded familiar. Had a look on the website some nice shoes.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Used to be a USC on Henry St years ago.
    It sells other brands owned by the group like Firetrap etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

That is one fugly bastard of a sign they've put on it; it reminds of the type common in the 80s like Apollo 1 Bargain Store etc. Hopefully the council do their job for once and make them change it-as you can see from their own guidelines, it's completely inappropriate and illegal:

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/DCCShopfrontDesignGuide.pdf

(pages 20-26)

• Advertisement

It's very imposing but is it not similar to other sports shops?
    sabat wrote: »
    That is one fugly bastard of a sign they've put on it; it reminds of the type common in the 80s like Apollo 1 Bargain Store etc. Hopefully the council do their job for once and make them change it-as you can see from their own guidelines, it's completely inappropriate and illegal:

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/PlanningApplication/Documents/DCCShopfrontDesignGuide.pdf

(pages 20-26)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Given how they treat their staff, they should be boycotted, I wont be going near it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basically all their discounts are fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Shop is now open, only knew by walking past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Given how they treat their staff, they should be boycotted, I wont be going near it anyway

JD and Amazon are worse from what I believe. Its a huge shop with a good selection and resonable prices. I'd certainly be shopping there for sports gear in future.

Advertisement