Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird Nest Above Front Door

• 21-07-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭

So I was away for a couple of weeks, and I've returned to a birds nest right above my front door. It's got a small arch with a front door light, and the nest is on the light casing. Now, I understand that birds do this, and you're not supposed to interfere with them, especially if there's eggs. Now, I don't know if there are eggs yet, but i'm beginning to think there is, as every time I leave the house or come home, I have what I believe to be a sparrow drive bombing my head, like it's trying to warn me away. Not to mention all the bird crap collecting on my welcome mat.

My issue is that i'm attempting to sell the house. So I need the nest gone, as no one will buy a house with the front covered in bird crap and getting attacked by the parents! Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

They are a protected species so there's nothing you can do about getting rid of them until until they move out.

Have a look online and check you have the correct species but if that's where they've built their nest they can't exactly up and move so you can sell your house ;)

ETA I don't think you can disturb any birds nest during nesting season but it should be all over in August/September and once they are gone you can remove the nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You'll probably be fine - my friend sold her house with a wasp's nest in the garden - their flight path was across the patio lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think Estate agents spout a lot of crap about showing houses.
    Imagine this scenario :

Price is right.
    Location is right.
    Love the house.
    This is just what we were looking for.
    Hang on! There's a birds nest over the door! What a sh1thole!
    Next house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hang on! There's a birds nest over the door! What a sh1thole!
    Next house!

Thing is, it's not the nest that's the problem, even the droppings I can deal with. But, I walked from the house to the car today and I was "attacked" 4 times. I just caught them "attacking" the neighbours cat, who was nowhere near the nest. That might put someone off.

And it's bloody annoying, having to sidestep crap every time I want to leave the house, hearing a very close whoosh and flap of a wing right beside my ear dare I venture outside. Regardless, it devalues the house, even a small bit, and I've to get as much as possible in order to not be in negative equity.

Would animal welfare be able to do anything? Also, I think they're swallows. They have a fork tail, and are small and fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thing is, it's not the nest that's the problem, even the droppings I can deal with. But, I walked from the house to the car today and I was "attacked" 4 times. I just caught them "attacking" the neighbours cat, who was nowhere near the nest. That might put someone off.

And it's bloody annoying, having to sidestep crap every time I want to leave the house, hearing a very close whoosh and flap of a wing right beside my ear dare I venture outside. Regardless, it devalues the house, even a small bit, and I've to get as much as possible in order to not be in negative equity.

Would animal welfare be able to do anything? Also, I think they're swallows. They have a fork tail, and are small and fast!

No there's nothing that can be done about moving it. There's actually very large fines if you do and it's an offence!

What you could do is affix some kind of structure underneath to catch droppings, maybe ask to move this post into the nature and birdwatching forum for better help though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Could it be a house martin? I'm not sure if they're protected to the same degree.

delurb13673.jpg

Having them nest on your eave is a lovely sight, but the droppings really are manky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ED E wrote: »
    Could it be a house martin? I'm not sure if they're protected to the same degree.

Having them nest on your eave is a lovely sight, but the droppings really are manky.

All birds are protected.
    It's funny then swooping at you, but could be they have just hatched young. Which is good because give it two weeks or so and they be gone. I know it might be a pain but if there's a viewing can you not just power hose the **** away? They're fantastic birds to watch in flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you find prospective buyers from the South of Germany, it might prove to be a bonus point - house martin's nests are considered to bring good luck to the house there :D

We've got a nest under the roof this year ourselves, and while I'm not the most superstitious normally, I'm delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I'd leave well alone as it's illegal to touch them, why not put a plastic sheet on the ground to collect poop and remove just before you have prospective buyers? My last house I sold had a barn owl nest in the roof just above the spare room, if you went in you could hear the hissing noise from the 4 chicks, not to mention the adults kept roosting above the attic trap door and pooping on it so you could smell them too! Anyone we showed round the house thought it was really cool and something to be expected if you live in a rural place - it's not forever only for a few weeks until they fledge, then you can clean up after them and remove the nest, if your really don't like them put netting or mesh to discourage them from doing it the following year?

Advertisement