Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting piece out of veneer-covered plywood

Options
  • 21-07-2016 5:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to make a few small changes to my kitchen cabinets to get a bit of extra life out of them, and as part of that wanted to put some glass into two of the smaller doors. I also want to cut a piece out of the side of a cabinet so I can put a small display in there.

What would be the best tool to use to get the job done as cleanly as possible? I can obviously take the doors off to make the cut but the cabinet will have to stay in place so anything that I use will ideally be relatively easy to handle vertically too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sounds like a job for a router. For the doors you could cut the panel out with a saw and then use a flush bearing mounted bit to trim the edges back with a straight edge. You will probably have to rout a rebate on the back of the door to take the glass.
    Same process for the cabinet side but it would be better to make a template out of MDF in the shape of the cutout and stick it to the cabinet with double sided tape. Drill a hole to get entry and use a straight router bit with the bearing on top.Take light passes until you have routed out the waste panel. You will need just two router bits which is the expensive bit .:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Great, thanks.

Not sure I'm 100% on the MDF template bit... Do you mean tape it onto the side I'm cutting into and then cut through it? Do you suggest that because it's easier to follow than a line drawn on the side of the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

flogen wrote: »
    Great, thanks.

Not sure I'm 100% on the MDF template bit... Do you mean tape it onto the side I'm cutting into and then cut through it? Do you suggest that because it's easier to follow than a line drawn on the side of the cabinet?

Assuming you want to cut out a square or rectangle its better to actually make a template with the correct internal dimensions rather than trying to align one piece four times. If you use 40mm wide ply/mdf square/rectangle ( it can be nailed together like a picture frame )you just stick it on to the cabinet with double sided tape and use a top mounted bearing bit to rout out the opening - the router runs along the 'outside' of the template. Of course., I'm also assuming there is no obstruction to sticking the template on. Just cutting a piece out freehand will look pretty awful imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Great, thanks.

Advertisement