Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD not insuring cars 10years or older.

Options
  • 21-07-2016 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen, drivers with 5 years or more claims free driving, in a completely unforeseen (hahaha) development, 10 years old is
    this years 15 years old for cars.

Don't even bother looking for a quote from FBD as a new customer. You and all your ancient car driving slum buddies are no longer welcome there.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by SIMI, and lazy risk analysis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

That is insane.

So that means in two years time my 08 vehicle might be considered too old to insure by various companies. Sickening if this is a general principle rather than a specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Thank you for applying to us for a Private Motor Vehicle insurance quote on 21 July 2016.
    We regret to inform you that due to the following reason(s), we are not in a position to provide you
    with a quote at this time:
     You do not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel.
    Please note if you are unable to obtain a quote for your motor insurance on the open market, you can
    refer to:
    Insurance Ireland,
    First Floor,
    5 Harbourmaster Place,
    IFSC,
    Dublin 1.
    Telephone: (01) 676 1914
    who can advise you further.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you require any further clarification on
    the contents of this letter please contact the undersigned.
    Yours faithfully,
    Underwriting Department

Thank you for your lovely decline letter, FBD. Crazy, I thought this was illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Will existing customers be affected?

Think they have to provide a quote for existing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Get used to it, I've a 2003 car and loads of people won't insure me. Just renewed 2 weeks ago, but for new quotes lots of places the first question was "what year is the car". When you give the year they say they won't insure you.
    They don't ask you anything else, just car year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If they don't want you they'll price you out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I just bought a 06, hope I won't have issues come September :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,770 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

can't the AA lobby the Government to intervene on behalf of the motorists?

or is there a conflict as they provide insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Where does the NCT come into this? If the car has passed its NCT then what grounds do they have for refusing insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Force people into debt to buy new cars. I wouldn't mind but all the cheap plastic dashes in these new cars would put anyone off 16K for a cheap dash vomit enducing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Cienciano wrote: »
    Get used to it, I've a 2003 car and loads of people won't insure me. Just renewed 2 weeks ago, but for new quotes lots of places the first question was "what year is the car". When you give the year they say they won't insure you.
    They don't ask you anything else, just car year
    From citizens information

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

If you are refused motor insurance
    Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Sam Kade wrote: »
    From citizens information

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

If you are refused motor insurance
    Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers.

You'll have no problem getting three refusals, last October I got at least 10 refusals, I went with the same company I was with last year in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

At least they had the decency to shut No Nonsense down before turning into a parody of themselves.

It's 9 and a bit years old.
    That'll be 1200 euro so.
    Wait sorry, my mistake it's 10 and a bit, sorry.
    Oh be the hokey them 10year old cars do all have the gypsy curse and attract wild bears in cavan, we couldn't possibly offer a quote on that.

mags_400x400.jpg

NONSENSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

I called 5 insurers today and didn't get one quote,No claim in over 25 yrs of driving,no points,Car is a 98 Passat estate tdi,sorry sir we don't insure anything older then 2001,had to stick with my current insurer,the car has a genuine 188 ooo km runs like a clock,I fear the future is not good for older well maintained cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It is coming closer and closer to a situation where there will be a need for direct government intervention in the motor insurance market.

Leave comprehensive cover, legal cover, breakdown assist, windscreen cover and all the optional extras to the private insurers and have the legal minimum third party cover provided through increases in motor tax and/or fuel taxes.

The private motor insurance industry is no longer functioning and providing the socially essential service that it has been entrusted to provide. The privilege to provide that service should be withdrawn or legally prescribed to ensure the insurance industry has to live up to its responsibilities to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It is coming closer and closer to a situation where there will be a need for direct government intervention in the motor insurance market.
    In practice in other countries, great.
    In theory in Ireland, great.
    In reality in Ireland,
    FT5S+Denis+O+Brien+on+the+phone+photocall.jpg

Rock and a hard place.
    The first 20 years premiums will go to consultants and golden signon bonuses, golden pensions and golden bog seats for the quango boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Leave comprehensive cover, legal cover, breakdown assist, windscreen cover and all the optional extras to the private insurers and have the legal minimum third party cover provided through increases in motor tax and/or fuel taxes.

The private motor insurance industry is no longer functioning and providing the socially essential service that it has been entrusted to provide. The privilege to provide that service should be withdrawn or legally prescribed to ensure the insurance industry has to live up to its responsibilities to society.
    Good in theory, but the government probably like this situation. In their head people will go out and buy a new car. In reality id have more chance of getting into a serious relationship with Scarlett Johansson

Read this and be annoyed. Especially at the bald tyres bit

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Thank you for your lovely decline letter, FBD. Crazy, I thought this was illegal!

I got one of these in the post too after they told me my UK car was a Japanese import. Didn't really care that much but strange they bothered with the letter. :o

Advertisement