Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chance of getting Credit Union loan?

• 21-07-2016 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, just wondering what my chances would be of getting a €10,000 loan from my credit union. I have €3,000 in savings but I haven't used the account in a couple of years (I've been saving with the bank instead as it's easier.) I did have my car loan with them previously and paid it back in full without any issues.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Only your C.U. could give you the answer to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Have you considered a loan with your bank as that's where you save. Bank loans generally give a better rate of interest than the credit union, they also don't take a hold over your savings while you have the loan

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Also remember that Credit Unions now run an ICB check on loan applications, and they will want proof of income, and bank statements to show outgoings such as rent/mortgage, car payments etc. A bank may give you a better rate, but a Credit Union will not have any penalties for paying back early, and usually provide free insurance too.

It's impossible for us to tell without more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Littlepea

Thanks for the info, I have a good income and no car loan. Would rather take it out with the credit union as I would be planning on paying lump sums off it when I have it and hopefully paying it back earlier than the three year term.
    We are renting at the moment but in the final stages of building a house so the loan is partly to bridge that gap until we get our final payment.

Advertisement