Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Applications - Need A Laptop?

• 21-07-2016 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi.

I will probably end up taking up Computer Applications this year and I'm wondering if having a personal laptop on campus will help me. Currently I only own a PC and am looking into getting a decent laptop. I'm aware that some laptops are available to borrow but would having my own personal one help me or do you not use personal laptops on site? If you do, what range of specs would it require? I think it'd be convenient for both note taking and practical work on location.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

You don't need one but it would be useful. I never brought mine to campus during semester, it was great for exam cramming in the library though. I also have a desktop but used my laptop for all my coursework at home, just found it easier to flap about on the couch or wherever doing coding/assignments. Having said that you obviously could just do it on your desktop!

If you are buying one it does not need to be high end whatsoever, you'll mostly just be using notepad/web browsers. I bought mine for about 300~ in argos over two years ago and it has been perfect for college.

gl & enjoy the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If you get any laptop with a i3, or i5 with 6GB of ram, that will get you through college.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Alright I'll get a mid range laptop for the convenience then.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Starting CA myself this year!

I own a high-end desktop right now but I'm investing in a mid-range laptop that will be capable of some light gaming as I don't want to bring the desktop with me (I'll be staying in Dublin). Probably doesn't even need to be as high-end as that, I'm sure any auld note taking device will suffice :c

Hopefully see you around :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Giotar wrote: »
    Starting CA myself this year!

I own a high-end desktop right now but I'm investing in a mid-range laptop that will be capable of some light gaming as I don't want to bring the desktop with me (I'll be staying in Dublin). Probably doesn't even need to be as high-end as that, I'm sure any auld note taking device will suffice :c

Hopefully see you around :-D

My desktop is for gaming too. I live in Dublin so I just need a basic laptop to suffice for schoolwork as I'll still have access to my gaming setup. Hope we get in and see you around mate!

• Advertisement
Advertisement