Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New roundabout at Bothar na tourish

Options
  • 21-07-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

If you're not familiar with the area, its just off the Waterford road beside Lidl and Aldi.

The council seems to think it's fine to just place a new roundabout that's practically impossible to see when driving and it's not even dark yet.

No bollards, warning, people are just driving straight through it.

Within a couple of hours there was the first accident.

Unless you're from the area you would never know it was there!

107je3o.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They should have put cones out and yield to the right signs until they they got the road markings done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Dymo wrote: »
    If you're not familiar with the area, its just off the Waterford road beside Lidl and Aldi.

The council seems to think it's fine to just place a new roundabout that's practically impossible to see when driving and it's not even dark yet.

No bollards, warning, people are just driving straight through it.

Within a couple of hours there was the first accident.

Unless you're from the area you would never know it was there!

107je3o.jpg
    Was the crash around 9 o'clock the other morning? I find this really funny and pathetic.
    Everyone coming out of lidl should be going left down to the roundabout .. There should be no turn right from that exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Was the crash around 9 o'clock the other morning? I find this really funny and pathetic.
    Everyone coming out of lidl should be going left down to the roundabout .. There should be no turn right from that exit.

No about 5:30 Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

its ****ing bollocks. its not needed at all there. 3 roundabouts in the space of 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

miece16 wrote: »
    its ****ing bollocks. its not needed at all there. 3 roundabouts in the space of 300m

its needed for cars droping children to school in the mornings as it is impossible to get back out onto the main road and its not finished yet but the yield right of way signs are up you can see them in the photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Lovely! Roundabout for the shoppers, roundabout for schoolrunners. Should have one each for the 2 estates heading to ring road as well! Just sickening what's going on in the name of traffic engineering. Instead of the smooth flow they are slowing traffic down: more soot, more brake dust, more congestion. Way to go people!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

padyjoe wrote: »
    Lovely! Roundabout for the shoppers, roundabout for schoolrunners. Should have one each for the 2 estates heading to ring road as well! Just sickening what's going on in the name of traffic engineering. Instead of the smooth flow they are slowing traffic down: more soot, more brake dust, more congestion. Way to go people!

Kids should be walking/ cycling to school anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Lidl and smithfield also largely used as a kid pickup point....jaysus hate going in there at those times...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Kilkenny is not so big that you can't plan your journey to avoid junctions you can't get out of.
    At that junction you could do a left, go down to the roundabout at Lidl and come back up again.
    'No right turn' signs could be made good use of, having said that they had one at John's bridge from Dunne's car park when the one way system was in use but every one ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

The one way system was a Disaster rose inn st should have been one giving traffic from the quay choice of going left or right, the new one at lidl, yes stop right turns, one could question the whole area, getting into smithfield, needs a roundabout.
    Callan abbey meadow, good on carrolls bar and all that find abhorent the actions of the very brave men who threw a pinic table and stones from the well into the river, they must be he men and walking tall, look what i ac hieved, parents must be really proud, let us know what they next want to fo, we can go and watch, as a lover of callan my message is fu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Those saying that this roundabout is not needed have clearly never been stuck in traffic on the outrath road in a morning or evening.
    Regardless of your point of view of how children should be travelling to school they are more often than not dropped at the door. This causes havoc for the numerous residents located on that road, of which I myself am one.

This roundabout is badly needed as congestion is a absolute nightmare in the mornings from 8:45 until 9:15 plus and again in the evening and whenever an event is taking place in either school.
    There is coinciding works taking place at Lidl to prevent a right turn, which will hopefully make the entire Bohernatounish road easier for shoppers, school goers and residents alike.

Those saying that this roundabout is not needed have clearly never been stuck in traffic on the outrath road in a morning or evening.
    Regardless of your point of view of how children should be travelling to school they are more often than not dropped at the door. This causes havoc for the numerous residents located on that road, of which I myself am one.

This roundabout is badly needed as congestion is a absolute nightmare in the mornings from 8:45 until 9:15 plus and again in the evening and whenever an event is taking place in either school.
    There is coinciding works taking place at Lidl to prevent a right turn, which will hopefully make the entire Bohernatounish road easier for shoppers, school goers and residents alike.
    Those who think the roundabout is needed have surely not lived in Dublin... or some parts of Cork City..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Those who think the roundabout is needed have surely not lived in Dublin... or some parts of Cork City..:p

As a matter of fact I have lived in both.
    Your presumably sarcastic response with its condescending tone however is not constructive to this point.
    Cork and Dublin both suffer from congestion, however they suffer as a result of a large population unlike Kilkenny city with a population just over 24,000 in the last published census results, which is almost 1/3 of the population of Blanchardstown @ 68,156.

Presentation secondary school has an average attendance of 700 students and Gaelscoil Osrai has approximately 433.
    The combination of these pupils and the residents of the area causes great congestion at busy times and the roundabout is badly needed.

If you would like to refute this point I'm sure the residents of Parc Na Gowan, Smithlands Court, Westfield and St. Patricks Gate would all love to hear your fantastic insight into how bad Dublin's traffic is and that they should be grateful they only have to sit in their car for 15 minutes to leave there homes.

As a matter of fact I have lived in both.
    Your presumably sarcastic response with its condescending tone however is not constructive to this point.
    Cork and Dublin both suffer from congestion, however they suffer as a result of a large population unlike Kilkenny city with a population just over 24,000 in the last published census results, which is almost 1/3 of the population of Blanchardstown @ 68,156.

Presentation secondary school has an average attendance of 700 students and Gaelscoil Osrai has approximately 433.
    The combination of these pupils and the residents of the area causes great congestion at busy times and the roundabout is badly needed.

If you would like to refute this point I'm sure the residents of Parc Na Gowan, Smithlands Court, Westfield and St. Patricks Gate would all love to hear your fantastic insight into how bad Dublin's traffic is and that they should be grateful they only have to sit in their car for 15 minutes to leave there homes.
    24,000 yes but with fewer roads...you are complaining of having to spend a few minutes extra in the car due to marginal traffic...in Dublin you could be hours getting across the city less so in cork...Yes I knew roads in Dublin where you would be stuck in the driveway too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I live in the area and its nightmare to get out in the morning, I dont care about Dublin or Corks congestion problem, I care about the one that is of hindrance to myself. If this roundabout creates positive traffic flow, awesome as it is needed with 4 large housing estates, a creche, a secondary and primary school all using the one road

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I was coming out of Lidl today,there was a dopey kcnt in a new jeep trying to turn RIGHT. Big red sign saying no right turn but she was oblivious. I blew the idiot out of it but she persisted. Eventually, when I wouldn't stop blowing at her she turned left :(.
    What will it take to educate these idiots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

i'll continue to turn right until they put in some concrete to stop me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

miece16 wrote: »
    i'll continue to turn right until they put in some concrete to stop me

And I'll continue to blow you off the road. There is a regulatory sign saying NO RIGHT TURN,do you know what that even means !.Its there for a reason,if everyone had your attitude the place would be fuked altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Sirsok wrote: »
    I live in the area and its nightmare to get out in the morning, I dont care about Dublin or Corks congestion problem, I care about the one that is of hindrance to myself. If this roundabout creates positive traffic flow, awesome as it is needed with 4 large housing estates, a creche, a secondary and primary school all using the one road
    It's has caused havoc with traffic on the Waterford road in the mornings

Edit: actually it's the fact that all traffic from Lidl now has to turn left onto the roundabout is what has screwed it up. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Questions please folks.

1. Is "Tourish" spelt right?

2. What's "Tourish" mean? I know it's "the road of the...." (if I've translated rest of it correctly that is!) but what's "tourish" mean and its origins?

Please and thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Questions please folks.

1. Is "Tourish" spelt right?

2. What's "Tourish" mean? I know it's "the road of the...." (if I've translated rest of it correctly that is!) but what's "tourish" mean and its origins?

Please and thanks in advance.
    No, it should be an N, not an R

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6378289,-7.2368303,3a,30y,167.29h,78.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ8jNXcOWM4pLKY27897qeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

English spelling Bohernatounish, Irish spelling Bóthar na Tónish, apparently (Timpeallán means 'roundabout', obviously :)). As for who/what Tónish is, I've spent 15 minutes trying to find out and still have no idea, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hunkypex

Apparantly accordng to an old book from the 1950s in Irish it should be Bóthair an t-suaimhnis meaning "the tranquil road". Why it was called the tranquil road I'm not sure. Could it be because it meandered gently through the countryside?

Advertisement