Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selfish parking? (See mod warning: Post 373)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

wonski wrote: »
    " it was because she didn't know me. She felt I was parking in her space."

I still don't understand her mentality and how is she entitled to her space tbh.

In fairness I think a lot of people are under the impression that the space or two directly outside their garden is theirs. I know my missus thought the same initially and used to get annoyed if someone parked where she usually parked her car. I explained that it was actually a public space and in theory anyone can park there... though usually they didn't and she was able to avail of it.
    I'd suspect our neighbour probably thought the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

In fairness I think a lot of people are under the impression that the space or two directly outside their garden is theirs. I know my missus thought the same initially and used to get annoyed if someone parked where she usually parked her car. I explained that it was actually a public space and in theory anyone can park there... though usually they didn't and she was able to avail of it.
    I'd suspect our neighbour probably thought the same.

Thinking is one thing, but parking like an idiot just to block someone from parking in a housing estate is another. Now you are allowed to park, though so let's call it a success :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Why would it be locked? I'm looking for a reasonable solution to the issue. I'm not going to follow any silly advice.

I say this because of the horrendous farce that the once famous 'obnoxious parking' thread became before it was closed. Almost as unspeakable as fog lights for a while around here.

Carry on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Thoie wrote: »
    It doesn't make her right, but maybe showing a little courtesy even when you don't have to would help make the world a slightly better place? While we're talking about parking, there's an entire attitude around driving that makes everyone's lives that little bit more miserable - I want this person to drive a little faster, so I'll tailgate them; I'm in the wrong lane, so instead of indicating and waiting, I'll try beat them at the lights; that person is in the wrong lane, so instead of just letting them in, I'll make sure there isn't a centimeter gap between me and the car in front; that person has taken off from the lights quite as quickly as I'd like - instead of a gentle tap of the horn to alert them, I'll blare the horn at them to make them jump.

That's a good post. I can't stand those A-holes.

I came up behind two cars at a roundabout yesterday and the first car should have moved out because there was a good gap. She didn't (had an 'N' plate) and the clown behind her started hopping off the horn. When the 3 of us did move out the chap in front of me got up beside her and started gesticulating like an Ape. When I went past her I looked in and seen a young girl who's obviously still overly cautious. The scumbag up ahead was gone, no doubt feeling all big and strong for near terrorising a young lass on the road just because she made a small mistake.

There is something that switches in lots of people's heads when they climb behind a wheel. They could be sound as a pound normally but then turn into complete tossers when they're on the road. For what reason I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Declared off road. Don't have to tax it..

If it's parked in a public place, it's supposed to be taxed and insured. Good luck getting the gardai or the council to do anything about it though. The thing would have to be burnt out before they took any notice. Seen a car parked in a wheel chair spot a few days ago on a residential street. It was clearly there for many many months (green goop all ober it, no air in tyres) with no tax, insurance, nct, or disabled parking badge. What an eyesore......it was a bronze opel astra.
    Jesus. wrote: »

There is something that switches in lots of people's heads when they climb behind a wheel. They could be sound as a pound normally but then turn into complete tossers when they're on the road. For what reason I do not know.

Its a false sense of security. neanderthol drivers feel protected and untouchable behing the glass and metal. Its like a secret space and they rule the world from it. How else could you explain all the nose picking you see when driving from A to B ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I say this because of the horrendous farce that the once famous 'obnoxious parking' thread became before it was closed. Almost as unspeakable as fog lights for a while around here.

Carry on..

I miss that thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

wonski wrote: »
    " it was because she didn't know me. She felt I was parking in her space."

I still don't understand her mentality and how is she entitled to her space tbh.

You need a big 4x4:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

In fairness, she wasn't just blocking you, she was blocking anybody who needs to park there. Odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You need a big 4x4:

He blocked in the other fella!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hey Folks,

Just wondering if you can help me with the above. Most people on my row of houses don't have driveways so there are bays just outside the houses. They aren't numbered by house but to the best of my understanding are open for anyone to park there. It's not a private estate so it's designated a public bit of road.... so I think.
    The StreeetKa is SORD (and the owner parks their everyday car just to the left of it as you look at the image). The reason I'm posting here is to ask your advice in relation to the Opel that's parked across two spots. They never did this previously but have started to do so this week after I parked to the right of it, beside the Citroen (I only bought myself a car recently). The household the Opel belongs to doesn't have two cars so I can't help but feel they are being selfish as I have to park the car at the bottom of the road well out of my sight.

Are they being unreasonable as it's a public road? Am I being unreasonable in looking to park in an empty spot. I'm feeling a little miffed as one car is SORD and it's owner takes 2 spots and now the other car owner is parking across two spots......... and I'm a nice neighbour!

Many thanks for any feedback.
    Pardon my ignorance,what's sord

It means that the car has been declared off of the road so you don't have to pay the tax for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Statutory Off- Road Declaration, OP assumed we all know this :rolleyes:

degsie wrote: »

It's a motoring forum... you have to have some assumptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Fair 'nuff :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I got sh1t off a randomer for referring to a cars ECU or ABS or something in a motors thread once.
    Anyone into cars has probably been browsing UK forums for years before we had our version of off road declaration. I don't see the issue with using either abbreviation tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

She seems like a right bitch op

It means that the car has been declared off of the road so you don't have to pay the tax for it.
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

• Advertisement

No sorry,means culpa,pardon me while I flog myself,,,,,,,u must some fun in a pub quiz etc

No sorry,means culpa,pardon me while I flog myself,,,,,,,u must some fun in a pub quiz etc

No sorry,mea culpa,pardon me while I flog myself,,,,,,,u must some fun in a pub quiz etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers.

I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers.

Get the what....... you need to tell us one more time.

So.... she's at it again. She had been out of the country for several weeks and all was fine. She's back two days and parking like an eejit again. She's told the neighbour she wants the space incase her estranged partner comes back.

Being nice hasn't worked so it's time for a firm knock on the door..... and take it from there.

So.... she's at it again. She had been out of the country for several weeks and all was fine. She's back two days and parking like an eejit again. She's told the neighbour she wants the space incase her estranged partner comes back.

Being nice hasn't worked so it's time for a firm knock on the door..... and take it from there.

Semtex is yorre only option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Get yourself a pitch fork/shovel and arrive at her door and explain the situation and maybe swing said object and it might resolve the issue :D

Autosport wrote: »
    Get yourself a pitch fork/shovel and arrive at her door and explain the situation and maybe swing said object and it might resolve the issue :D

Too crude. Arrive with a small, random piece of rubber tube (like a fuel line) and say "If you promise to park properly in the future, I will tell you where I got this piece from your car"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Any updates? My popcorn is ready here

• Advertisement

Too crude. Arrive with a small, random piece of rubber tube (like a fuel line) and say "If you promise to park properly in the future, I will tell you where I got this piece from your car"

Brilliant.
    corglass wrote: »
    Any updates? My popcorn is ready here

Not yet. She headed off yesterday so I managed to get my car into the spot. Today I was back before she was and did the same. Trust me though, when she's back before me she'll be taking the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

She's told the neighbour she wants the space incase her estranged partner comes back.

By the sounds of her, I'd say he's still running, while giving praise to the lord.

That's from the other day... when I realised we'd headed into round two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

At the next opportunity, you need to park obnoxiously close to her driver's door so she's forced to enter the car from the passenger side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If talking to her doesn't work, may I suggest...

08-Plastic-Wrapped-Car.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Try putting this questionaire on her windscreen.

2f0b3d22e7570cec3190fd86b0afd2c3.jpg

At the next opportunity, you need to park obnoxiously close to her driver's door so she's forced to enter the car from the passenger side.

Then you risk having her scratch up your car. especially as she has kids who will just throw the door open.

OP, as she seems to be so difficult, would you play her at her game, wait until shes out and YOU park between the 2 spots. And wait for her to knock at your door...

Childish maybe, but honestly this type of woman can be (and I m a woman so that cannot be a sexist remark :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd print out the link for this page and stick it through her door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Then you risk having her scratch up your car. especially as she has kids who will just throw the door open.

Not if you're so close that they can't use the doors on that side of the car to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

What about the earlier suggestion of knocking at her door and saying 'howaya horse, any chance you'd move over a little so I can get me bus in? Yer a legend, thanks a mil'.
    If you're polite, she might feel compelled to do it -even if she doesn't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Park down the road. Wake up at 3-5am, hop in the car, hop out and knock loudly on the door until she answers. Then tell her to move her car, as all the others are taken. My old neighbour stopped that **** quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

It may sound petty or a waste of time but I'd go to the Garda station and explain the problem. The guard should call out to her and tell her to cop the fcuk on. Hopefully a word from someone in authority would make her see sense.

We'd a similar problem years ago and went in and explained it and they were happy to come out and speak to the person. Problem never occurred again.

Staph wrote: »
    What about the earlier suggestion of knocking at her door and saying 'howaya horse, any chance you'd move over a little so I can get me bus in? Yer a legend, thanks a mil'.
    If you're polite, she might feel compelled to do it -even if she doesn't want to.

I think this would be a good first step. Especially "howya horse", how can you argue with that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I think this would be a good first step. Especially "howya horse", how can you argue with that. :D
    I'm sure that would go down well :D

The OP mentioned the woman's partner is out of the country. Not sure if that means they are of a different nationality but as a woman I have seen a pattern of women of a particular ethnic origin who are just notorious for driving and parking. I'm making that as sociological observation and not intended to be racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Normally it's Beamer merc and range rover drivers that take up more than one space and same on the roads. They're on the phones and flying in and out of lanes not giving a fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Normally it's Beamer merc and range rover drivers that take up more than one space and same on the roads. They're on the phones and flying in and out of lanes not giving a fcuk
    Well this did come up in another thread just recently where the design of some carpark spaces are too small/tight for larger cars/vehicles. In the OP's pic the size of the spaces look ample enough so it doesn't make sense and especially from the explanation the OP heard as to her motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Those 2 pics would be enough for the lads over on the "Guess the Location" thread to work out where this is.
    She might be reading this even as you type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

If she is only doing this since you got the car then she is saying this is her space and she is going to make sure you park somewhere else.

Do you have a management com pay,could you ask them to mark out individual marking spaces,it would be difficult with the paving though but you could use different colour bricks to mark out individual spots.

I would take a picture first and knock on her door,make it clear that you are going to park there even if it means you have to park right on top of her,she is being a selfish twat.

I had to wait nearly an hour for my car the other day while getting a key cut,I won't be getting a key cut there again.Anyway old bag is reading the Independent when I arrive and before I can pick up a copy of the Mirror which I would only read in the absence of anything else,she picks up the only copy and puts it under the other paper she is reading.I ask receptionist loudly is there another paper and without looking up she says no.Old bag continues reading and holds onto both papers.

Selfish hits,can't abide them and definitely agree about the Nigerian women drivers,they always have old toyotas with millions of children on board,some of them definitely haven't sat driving tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just park across the back of her car and when she knocks asking you to move explain that she hasn't left enough room to use the space provided for residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mary63 wrote: »
    If she is only doing this since you got the car then she is saying this is her space and she is going to make sure you park somewhere else.

Do you have a management com pay,could you ask them to mark out individual marking spaces,it would be difficult with the paving though but you could use different colour bricks to mark out individual spots.

In the second picture different colour bricks can be seen delineating parking spaces

• Advertisement
Advertisement