Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selfish parking? (See mod warning: Post 373)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

pablo128 wrote: »
    She would look like a right thundering cnut if she took up 2 parking spaces and then calling the gardai to shift your car. I could see that going rather pear shaped for her.

As above. I'd imagine the Guards would give you a telling off for a first time offence, they may even give your neighbour a telling off. In reality I'd doubt they'd call out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm no wiser
    Are you parking in front of a house two doors down
    Is there not room for two cars in front of each house
    Is there not room for two cars I front of your house and if so who is parking there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Could you ask the neighbour to park the streetka in the controversial spot.

I did and it's staying where it is unfortunately.
    Tigger wrote: »
    I'm no wiser
    Are you parking in front of a house two doors down
    Is there not room for two cars in front of each house
    Is there not room for two cars I front of your house and if so who is parking there

So there are 8 houses on the row, two of which have a driveway. For the remaining 6 houses there are 11 spaces (wonderful planning I know). So yes, I had parked my car in the only empty spot on the row. The only spot which wasn't being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Am i the only one now more intrigued by why the Ka is where it is, and can't be moved, than OP's original problem???

So there are 8 houses on the row, two of which have a driveway. For the remaining 6 houses there are 11 spaces (wonderful planning I know). So yes, I had parked my car in the only empty spot on the row. The only spot which wasn't being used.

But are there two spaces in front of your house
    And if so who is parking in them
    I'm trying to see if she feels that
    A the spaces outside her house are hers and
    B you have two spaces in front of your house

Also how do you know that the spaces outside the houses don't belong to the houses
    My own house the plans clearly show I own to the middle of the road in front of my house

• Advertisement

But are there two spaces in front of your house
    And if so who is parking in them
    I'm trying to see if she feels that
    A the spaces outside her house are hers and
    B you have two spaces in front of your house

Also how do you know that the spaces outside the houses don't belong to the houses
    My own house the plans clearly show I own to the middle of the road in front of my house

Looking at the deeds makes no mention of the spaces/area outside the gate. In other estates around the area spaces outside are marked with a house/apartment number.... ours have none. The council confirmed to my partner today that the spaces outside don't belong to any one house.

Whichever way you look at it, there are six houses competing for eleven parking spots so someone is going to lose. As the spots aren't allocated to any of the houses I can't claim that the two in front of my house belong to the house.

Looking at the deeds makes no mention of the spaces/area outside the gate. In other estates around the area spaces outside are marked with a house/apartment number.... ours have none. The council confirmed to my partner today that the spaces outside don't belong to any one house.

Whichever way you look at it, there are six houses competing for eleven parking spots so someone is going to lose. As the spots aren't allocated to any of the houses I can't claim that the two in front of my house belong to the house.

No but she feels that the two spaces outside her house belong to her
    And the street KA people think that the two spaces outside theirs belong to them
    So I ask again
    Who is parking outside your house

No but she feels that the two spaces outside her house belong to her
    A dthe street KA people think that the two spaces outside theirs belong to them
    So I ask again
    Who is parking outside your house

I think you may be missing the point. She feels they belong to her but they don't.... which is why we never had any issue when her husband parked in front of our house. Other neighbours have also said it to her that they are public spaces.

Space 1 - My partner
    Space 2 - Next door neighbour
    Space 3 - Next door neighbours StreetKa
    Space 4 - Opel owner
    Space 5 - Opel owner
    Space 6 - Neighbour 3 doors down
    Space 7 - Husband of neighbour 3 doors down
    Space 8 - Don't know them
    Space 9 - Don't know them
    Space 10 - Don't know them
    Space 11 - Don't know them

Spaces 8, 9, 10 and 11 are all taken.

So you have one space and everyone else has two
    From your list each house is taking the two spaces in front of it
    What am I missing
    I assume there are 1.83 spaces outside each house and that she is staking her claim
    Possession is 9 techs and all that

So you have one space and everyone else has two
    From your list each house is taking the two spaces in front of it
    What am I missing
    I assume there are 1.83 spaces outside each house and that she is staking her claim
    Possession is 9 techs and all that

I was late getting a car admittedly so spaces have just been taken over by whomever needs them. However I don't feel it's unreasonable for me to park in a public space when it's empty 90% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OP have you tried parking in any of the other spots when they're free or do you leave them as you know who parks in each spot habitually?

It will throw the cat amongst the pigeons but I'd be inclined to park in spot 2 beside the ka and leave your neighbour argue it out with the opel owner.

I was late getting a car admittedly so spaces have just been taken over by whomever needs them. However I don't feel it's unreasonable for me to park in a public space when it's empty 90% of the time.
    I'm on your side
    However im a rational person who likes a quiet life and I always want to fully understand the situation before I offer advice

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    OP have you tried parking in any of the other spots when they're free or do you leave them as you know who parks in each spot habitually?

It will throw the cat amongst the pigeons but I'd be inclined to park in spot 2 beside the ka and leave your neighbour argue it out with the opel owner.
    This is an example of the type of play I was considering

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I wouldn't as we all respect each others 'spots' and no-one on the row is looking for hassle. We generally all just try to get along. Personally I don't want to aggravate anyone, least of all the Dacia/StreetKa owner as they are my next door neighbour.

Look, when all is said and done, I've gotten great feedback here, some mad ideas but have found that the friendly polite approach didn't work.... so I'll have to approach it differently.

I'll let you know how it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What an absolute gowl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

My last 2 cents.

I'd consider the ka owner to be equally at fault and wouldn't oblige them in anyway they're essentially doing what you don't want to do. Leaving a crap car abandoned in a space where there's clearly a shortage.

The opel driver is nut job and having experienced similar nut jobs before she more than likely won't change. Does she own the house perhaps she'll move on when her lease is up. Till that point I'd constantly be at her door anytime you pull up asking her to move her car. She can put on whatever sob story about harassment she likes but once you're being civil it'll fall on deaf ears.

She more than likely won't move the car but I'd make a point of calling each time and asking.

As the saying goes High walls make great neighbours. Best of luck with finding a resolution.

I do love the shrink wrap idea but if it were me I'd be parking beside you current spot when it's free and shake up the whole situation.

I wouldn't as we all respect each others 'spots' and no-one on the row is looking for hassle. We generally all just try to get along. Personally I don't want to aggravate anyone, least of all the Dacia/StreetKa owner as they are my next door neighbour.

Look, when all is said and done, I've gotten great feedback here, some mad ideas but have found that the friendly polite approach didn't work.... so I'll have to approach it differently.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have a parking permit in cork city so can park on the street. A while ago these builders kept putting traffic cones by the kerb anytime there was free space so they could save space for any vans they needed to park. I often had to park a 10 minute walk away. Was very irritating. I ended up going up to a parking warden about it and he had a chat with them. They still do it sometimes but I just move the cones. Shame there is no one you can really go to about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Driving licenses should be revoked for all shellfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Just block her in anytime you come home and can't get parked, but leave a very visible polite note on your dash saying sorry for the inconvenience, you had nowhere else to park, you'll happy to move it should she wish to go out etc etc. When she does eventually need to go out she will have no option but to knock on your door. Be polite and immediately move the car, and as soon as she moves off just park in one of the spaces. Repeat as necessary until she gets the message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it looks a little different now.
    Space 1 is outside your house and you use that space.
    SPace 2 your neighbour is using as they have the SORD Ka in space 3.
    I'd say it's the streetka guy who is the root problem, and you should claim space 2 is yours and leave him fight the Opel woman as suggested.
    Basically, you're fighting the wrong person over a fight that should be between you and streetka man.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Everyone is getting along, it seems, as long as you are being inconvenienced. They all seem quite happy with their 2 spaces, leaving you picking up scraps. Park i the space every time she leaves it, and take up 2 spaces. Only thing she's going to understand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Do you want a lend of a Hurley :D

Autosport wrote: »
    Do you want a lend of a Hurley :D

Ha no thanks. We both know violence isn't the answer.... being as petty and annoying possibly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ha no thanks. We both know violence isn't the answer.... being as petty and annoying possibly is.

I never mentioned violence, you have a Hurley and a sliotar and you like a puck around and you like to hit the sliotar off the wall of the house. Doesn't everyone do this :D car/s might get damaged if in the way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OP, you say you have a Fiat Panda?

If I were you I'd be backing into that "space" that she's left, your car should be narrow enough to do it - leave it about 1 inch from her passenger side - you can get out of your car, she can get out of hers, but it'll get to be a PITA after a while and she might cop on.

The absolute cheek of her, "reserving" a space for someone who only occasionally calls!

Also, I'd have an equally big problem with someone storing their effectively-abandoned car in a legit space, why can't they put THAT down the road where you have to park, seeing as it's never used anyway?
    To top it off she's probably on a single family income so the partner has no right to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd say it's the streetka guy who is the root problem, and you should claim space 2 is yours and leave him fight the Opel woman as suggested.
    Basically, you're fighting the wrong person over a fight that should be between you and streetka man.

Street ka , could be taxed tomorrow and still take one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

ted1 wrote: »
    To top it off she's probably on a single family income so the partner has no right to be there

And you know that how? And it's relevant because?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No, the root problem is a cnut deliberately taking up 2 spaces. That kind of sh*t is not on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm with the "buy a banger", or two, and leaving it there. If she can take two spots, so can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

No, the root problem is a cnut deliberately taking up 2 spaces. That kind of sh*t is not on.

yes but seemingly everyone is laying claim to the 2 spaces outside their own own home , so if it's right for some of them then it's right for all of them and space 2 should belong to the OP who also uses space one and it is the streetka taking up space 3 and never moving that is the problem, with it's owner hoggin space 2 also. If the streetka was actually moved where it should be (off road) the problem would go away.

It's daft that the OP has two cars and can access just one space whereas streetkaman uses two spaces, one of which for a car that never moves and the opel woman insists on hoggin two spaces when she has only one car. Both of the OPs neighbours are not very nice people when you come down to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm with the "buy a banger", or two, and leaving it there. If she can take two spots, so can you.

Buy a cheap motorbike, park it on the edge of a space (thereby confining her to a single space. You can move it to the head or tail of the space when you want to park your car there - easier than moving cars around.

I hate people like this woman, and there's no real way to ever win against them without major escalation. Sure, you can dash out and move cars around every time she moves, but she can do the same. Yes, you can block spaces the way she's blocking spaces, but it all leads to a very uncomfortable life, where you spend your time twitching the net curtains to see if now is the right second to move your car.

It would drive me insane to "give in to her", but it would probably drive me insaner to be constantly on the alert to beat her at the game (and what if it escalates to property damage?). As a grown up, I'd love to say that I'd take a few deep breaths, and put it behind me. But secretly it would fester and irritate me forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Both the Opel driver and the Ka owner are unreasonable, the Opel woman more so.

When I lived on an estate in Dublin a neighbour parked a crashed car on the road opposite the houses(houses only on one side), causing a problem for parking and traffic. A complaint was made to the Guards as the car was out of tax. The guards came up, gave it a ticket, but also ticketed a few more cars around the estate that were out of tax.

I'd be squeezing the Panda tight beside hers. She can't be let away with such crappy behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would just park in any free space that is available when I return home. My OH lived in a housing estate, some of the spaces had numbers where others didnt. If you are first home, you take the most available un-numbered space whether its closer to your house or not. I wasnt living there but if there was a space closer to the house, I'd be parking in one of them.

Sometimes when I stayed over and arrived late, I'd have to park 2 blocks away, or my OH or her housemates would have to.

TL:DR - Rule of thumb, if there is no number on the space, its fair game on spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mc Love wrote: »

TL:DR - Rule of thumb, if there is no number on the space, its fair game on spaces.

Regardless of fair game on spaces, when 1 car is continuously taking 2 spaces then that's not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think the suggestion of parking in whatever space is free and nearest to your house is the right way to go.
    Nobody "owns" the spaces irrespective of how long they live there or how often they park there. You are entitled to park where you like, as are others, when you pull up and there are spaces available.
    So just start parking in whatever space is available that's nearest to your house whenever you can.
    The knock-on effect will be that most of the others will start to be affected by the car on the two spaces and this should lead to others to wanting her to sort out her selfish parking habits and maybe they in turn will add to putting her under pressure to sort her parking out.
    Remember, unless they are numbered and allocated, nobody "Owns" them, you are free to park where you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think the suggestion of parking in whatever space is free and nearest to your house is the right way to go.
    Nobody "owns" the spaces irrespective of how long they live there or how often they park there. You are entitled to park where you like, as are others, when you pull up and there are spaces available.
    So just start parking in whatever space is available that's nearest to your house whenever you can.
    The knock-on effect will be that most of the others will start to be affected by the car on the two spaces and this should lead to others to wanting her to sort out her selfish parking habits and maybe they in turn will add to putting her under pressure to sort her parking out.
    Remember, unless they are numbered and allocated, nobody "Owns" them, you are free to park where you like.

That.

Not only do none of the residents own their regular spots, none of you have any entitlement to ANY of them. I could go and buy a dozen bangers tomorrow and as long as they were road legal take up all of those parking spaces and there is nothing anyone could legally do about it (especially the cheeky kunt keeping an untaxed car on a public road).

IMO OP you are giving far too much respect to your neighbours in this with none in return to you, one selfish cow is blocking two spots with one car and another with an illegal second car.

It's time to stop playing by made up rules, they don't "own" their spots, just like any other public roadspace that unregulated parking is allowed on it is a free for all, park i the most convenient spot every time you return and soon enough the selfish parkers will have pressure put on them by more than just you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd agree with this as well.

In a previous estate it was first come, first served and you may need to park your car a 30 second walk away from your house if there were no spaces left.

On our first day there we had a 'lovely' woman tell us without hesitation that we were parked in her spot (while we were moving in) and just take note for future reference.

Needless to say that we ignored this and parked there if it was free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not see can an extra space be fitted outside yours and come to an agreement with council also suggest getting numbers placed down and also if you could get all houses on board it may benefit all.

Worth a try talking to local councillors and putting in a request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Get 4 or 5 strong lads and get them to lift the Ka into the spot beside the mad Opel woman, sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

BigEejit wrote: »
    Get 4 or 5 strong lads and get them to lift the Ka into the spot beside the mad Opel woman, sorted.

At 865kg would you need more than 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

josip wrote: »
    At 865kg would you need more than 5?

Not if you chanted that mantra thing and lifted the Ka with two fingers each - so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I dont mean lift it bodily into the air, lift arse of car, swing it over a foot, lift front and swing over a foot etc etc

dont know where they could grab it without bodywork being ripped off though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

BigEejit wrote: »
    I dont mean lift it bodily into the air, lift arse of car, swing it over a foot, lift front and swing over a foot etc etc

dont know where they could grab it without bodywork being ripped off though :P

A pallet truck would move it no bother.

But...... when you start fcuking about with other cars, you can't complain if other people start dragging your own car around the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

looksee wrote: »
    Not if you chanted that mantra thing and lifted the Ka with two fingers each - so to speak.

light as a feather, stiff as a board, light as a feat- oo me back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

The spaces aren't numbered because there aren't enough for the amount of houses.

Its easier for it to operate on a first come first served basis so thats what OP should be doing.

No one has the entitlement to the space outside the door and by allowing people to think they have you then have opel owner claiming two spaces for one car.

If you ring the Gardai and tell them the untaxed car is causing a nuisance to you because its being parked where parking is limited they might take action.I did this when someone cleared out their fathers house and parked it in a lane where I park,I don't have off street parking in front of my house so the spaces are taken everyday by commuters who then Dart into town.These people who inherited an expensive house waited for me to nip to the shops and then pushed their dad car out of the garage and put it where I park,they then flew back to the States.A notice was put on the car and then it was eventually towed for scrap page and the cost paid by the dead mans family I presume.

So came home today to find she's acquired a skip. I initally parked at the bottom of the road but when I woke up.... I took the space.

This'll be interesting.

So came home today to find she's acquired a skip. I initally parked at the bottom of the road but when I woke up.... I took the space.

This'll be interesting.

Fair play, hopefully ye can stay parked there all evening (and the neighbours) so she is forced to park way off and walk home and drag whatever she has to carry all the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

This'll be interesting.

Please leave your car there as long as possible. Get a bus if you need to head in to town. Skip is handy if you have any sweet wrappers, coffee cups, crisp bags etc lying in the panda!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

This is going to be hilarious!:pac:

Just to add, you would slide an empty skip along the ground handy enough with two people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement