Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selfish parking? (See mod warning: Post 373)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

The Ka hasn't done anyone any favours with that park job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

So came home today to find she's acquired a skip. I initally parked at the bottom of the road but when I woke up.... I took the space.

This'll be interesting.

Do not move your car all weekend. Leave it as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

This thread is solid gold. Please keep updating with every little tidbit of info OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

So came home today to find she's acquired a skip. I initally parked at the bottom of the road but when I woke up.... I took the space.

This'll be interesting.

the vehicle on the left is yours as well, yes? If you parked it hard up against the kerb to our left of it, would there not be room for the Panda between it and the Streetka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

the vehicle on the left is yours as well, yes? If you parked it hard up against the kerb to our left of it, would there not be room for the Panda between it and the Streetka?

The Dacia (brown car) belongs to the owner of the StreeetKa. She parked right up against it and my partner parked her car (not in the image) as far against the kerb as possible. This left a small gap for the Panda but in reality it was just too tight for us all and it wasn't a workable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The Dacia (brown car) belongs to the owner of the StreeetKa. She parked right up against it and my partner parked her car (not in the image) as far against the kerb as possible. This left a small gap for the Panda but in reality it was just too tight for us all and it wasn't a workable solution.

Ask the streetka owner would she park up next to the skip and just leave it there permanently. That way King of the d1ckheads won't be able to take 2 spots and everyone wins, except the d1ckhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

Can people stop commenting without reading the thread!!

Thou shall not move!!! (Gandalf voice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Any chance the OP could set up a live webcam feed? I have loads of popcorn at the ready...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PM me your address. I'll pop round and park in her spot. For the craic, like!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

*Subscribed* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Can't the management company put in an extra parking spot to the left of your house or even across the road and then number all the spaces?

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Can't the management company put in an extra parking spot to the left of your house or even across the road and then number all the spaces?

There's no management company I'm afraid.

Noo.. my next door neighbour (the Dacia) went off and Opel woman has just parked in 'her' spot. She arrived at speed and parked there without thinking about it.

cheeky mare, so it's OK for her to park wherever then? Better get another skip......

Ps who's paying for the skip? Should we have a whip round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Noo.. my next door neighbour (the Dacia) went off and Opel woman has just parked in 'her' spot. She arrived at speed and parked there without thinking about it.

These are the two who are causing all the bother so feck them!

Street ka is getting too much sympathy for being a me -me neighbour!

Best place to park that street ka is in the skip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone need to get rid of an old mattress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

degsie wrote: »
    Driving licenses should be revoked for all shellfish.

Absolutely who do these clams think they are?

Right... We've had a bit of argy bargy with one of the other neighbours mouthing off at Streetka lady and knocking on my door saying so and so said this and so and so said that etc.

Opel woman has twice tonight been knocking furiously on the door of StreeetKa lady who won't open the door.
    Regardless of having the Ka there, this has all come about because Opel woman blocked the only spot that was free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So who's parked where now?

Trying to keep up I think we have
    Your wife
    Dacia (or is the Opel there now?)
    Ka
    You
    Skip
    .... what's where Opel lady usually parks?

Why is Opel lady hammering on the Ka owner's door all of a sudden?

That's from the other day... when I realised we'd headed into round two.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Space 1 - My partner
    Space 2 - Next door neighbour
    Space 3 - Next door neighbours StreetKa
    Space 4 - Opel owner
    Space 5 - Opel owner
    Space 6 - Neighbour 3 doors down
    Space 7 - Husband of neighbour 3 doors down
    Space 8 - Don't know them
    Space 9 - Don't know them
    Space 10 - Don't know them
    Space 11 - Don't know them

What's to the left of Space 1?

Anyway, Ka person and Opel person are as said the issue. In saying that it seems everyone wants 2 spaces for their house.

Given the size of the spaces the easy way out would be for you, your partner, Ka & the Dacia to occupy 3 spaces, they are most definitely big enough.

Since the skip has come along that's the easy way out.

• Advertisement

Y'know, OP.

At this point it seems we've reached critical mass with the inter-neighbour sheparkinannigans. I've a suggestion...

Withdraw. No, don't get me wrong. I don't mean capitulate. Next time a sensible opportunity for you to park sensibly in any one of those spaces that pops up, take it. Lock up the car, and, just as a temporary measure, for the time being like, don't drive it again. Go back to whatever mode of transportation you used before this gobshytery started. Other neighbour's are involved now. Everybody's pissed off. Leave them at it. I give it a week. Then they'll start talking. Or start killing each other. Either way, you'll be out of it. There's two of them need a good kick up the hole. Looks like that's going to happen. We need you to stand back, record, and report.

You know it makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

And if you WERE to, oh, I dunno......get some sort of 24hour surveillance system and upload all the juicy stuff, I'm sure some of us MIGHT be interested in looking at it...

>_>

<_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Right... We've had a bit of argy bargy with one of the other neighbours mouthing off at Streetka lady and knocking on my door saying so and so said this and so and so said that etc.

Opel woman has twice tonight been knocking furiously on the door of StreeetKa lady who won't open the door.
    Regardless of having the Ka there, this has all come about because Opel woman blocked the only spot that was free.

See, told you others would get involved if you just parked up as you were entitled to. . :pac:

You park where you like.. And let the games begin.

Be careful not to get drawn into it or you will be blamed on saying something! Why were they(the other neighbour) knocking at your door about Streetka? I would not open the door in those circumstances and if they catch you in way out, say in a nice way oh, you'll have to take it up with them. I really don't know.

You are doing what's right just going about your business and using the free available spaces. I would continue to do so irrespective of what house it's outside.

Opel woman seems aggressive but the street Ka crowd are passive aggressive and have both been taking 2 parking spaces when only using one. It's not a storage facility. You've been pushing the blame a bit too much on Opel woman.

Let's see how long the skip stays there?

By stepping back and just doing your own thing, the others have had to get involved whereas up to now you've been taking all the burden while the rest were happy out with their 2 spaces.

I know you said you were respecting the others by allowing them park outside their house, but the only way to resolve this is by you parking in whatever free Space is there and let the others fight it out. Basically the last person home won't get a space, it could be you some of the time, but it won't be you all of the time. Let the others fight their own battle.

It's funny how the other neighbour knocked straight into StreetKa, so not everyone is as sympathetic towards her.

If things get bad, maybe suggest calling a meeting with the Community Garda(as long as a representative from each house attends) the community Gardai are excellent in situations like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thinly outside the box here.

Could you get agreement from all the householders to convert the 11 spaces into 12?

If each space is now 8ft wide, the new spaces would buy 7ft 3in wide. Cost of painting lines to delineate each space shouldn't be much shared between 11. Peace all around.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Esel wrote: »

Could you get agreement from all the householders to convert the 11 spaces into 12?

If each space is now 8ft wide, the new spaces would buy 7ft 3in wide. Cost of painting lines to delineate each space shouldn't be much shared between 11. Peace all around.
    Aren't we missing something here? Opel lady only has 1 car, op only has 1 car = spaces for everyone. The op said there was 11 spaces for 6 houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Aren't we missing something here? Opel lady only has 1 car, op only has 1 car = spaces for everyone. The op said there was 11 spaces for 6 houses.
    OP has two cars.

Ka owner has two cars including one that's "off-road".

It seems that all the other neighbours have two cars per household, apart from Opel owner who has one car but wants to reserve another spot for occasional visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I can see what's happened here is that a situation has developed over the years whereby everybody treated the two spaces outside their house as their own, except OP whose household had just one car. This worked well enough until now. Opel woman now only requires one space but is unhappy about relinquishing her "spare" space in case she needs it in future. That's a selfish attitude but I can see how it's come about.

Stupid planning to have 11 spaces for 6 houses, it seems that as the spaces are not owned or allocated in any manner then a free-for-all is the sensible way to treat the parking situation.

I do like the idea suggested above of re-marking the spaces to allow 12 cars to park, won't necessarily resolve anything though if one household buys a third car.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And you know that how? And it's relevant because?

It's relevant because it demonstrates that he has I right what so ever to have a space reserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That would breach planning permission

• Advertisement

shaunr68 wrote: »
    I can see what's happened here is that a situation has developed over the years whereby everybody treated the two spaces outside their house as their own, except OP whose household had just one car. This worked well enough until now. Opel woman now only requires one space but is unhappy about relinquishing her "spare" space in case she needs it in future. That's a selfish attitude but I can see how it's come about.

Stupid planning to have 11 spaces for 6 houses, it seems that as the spaces are not owned or allocated in any manner then a free-for-all is the sensible way to treat the parking situation.

I do like the idea suggested above of red-marking the spaces to allow 12 cars to park, won't necessarily resolve anything though if one household buys a third car.!

I would not be in agreement to remark the spaces either if it were me. I've a biggish new car so the bigger the space, the less dings. Plus they were made that size by the council probably for regulations and id not want to interfere with that.

From a practicality point of view, do the spaces at either end have space beside them. For example if the Ka were to sit at the very end of the line, is there space for someone to block in the car (it's not going anywhere) and still park safely.?

Personally what Id di is if You come home and there is a space I'd take it.
    If you come home and there are no spaces left but Opel woman has 2 for 1 car. I'd always park behind her blocking her in. I'd make her wait to move it too. If everyone did the same, then she'd soon get the message.

Augeo wrote: »
    What's to the left of Space 1?

To the left of that is a 'flower bed' which is overgrown (I'm not green fingered). I had been thinking about cutting back some of the grass/shrubs and laying down some anti-weed material and gravel and making another parking spot. It wouldn't be permanently altered and would alleviate some of the hassle. The bed really isn't tended by anyone and a bit of an eyesore.
    endacl wrote: »
    Y'know, OP.

At this point it seems we've reached critical mass with the inter-neighbour sheparkinannigans. I've a suggestion...

Withdraw. No, don't get me wrong. I don't mean capitulate. Next time a sensible opportunity for you to park sensibly in any one of those spaces that pops up, take it. Lock up the car, and, just as a temporary measure, for the time being like, don't drive it again. Go back to whatever mode of transportation you used before this gobshytery started.
    You know it makes sense!

I would absolutely do that if possible but unfortunately one of the reasons I bought the car was that I started a new job and depend on it for that. So while it's a great suggestion, it's not one I can carry out at the moment.
    anewme wrote: »
    Be careful not to get drawn into it or you will be blamed on saying something! Why were they(the other neighbour) knocking at your door about Streetka? I would not open the door in those circumstances and if they catch you in way out, say in a nice way oh, you'll have to take it up with them. I really don't know.

That's the next door neighbour of Opel lady so I guess they are trying to be seen to be doing the right thing by them. She got all agitated last night. Only weeks before she had been telling me she didn't want to get involved.... though she made herself involved last night. So I turned it around and said 'Look, as you said yourself- don't get involved. This is between Opel lady and I... and no-one else'. That's the line I'll be sticking to. It really, at the end of the day is just about us two and there's no need for anyone else to get involved.

I had been thinking about getting the Nest camera. What does it record video onto though? Do I need to keep the PC on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have to say I agree with the others who say it isn't just you and Opel lady involved - at a minimum Streetka people are in the mix, if not everyone.

You've just been the gentleman and have granted "rights" to everyone where there are none!

Why (I really am fascinated by this!) can the Streetka not be parked offside somewhere nearby, instead of occupying a perfectly good PARKING space that you clearly need (and your neighbour can see that you need).

There are two parking spaces being taken up for no good reason, from what I can see - that's where I would be starting from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

That's the next door neighbour of Opel lady so I guess they are trying to be seen to be doing the right thing by them. She got all agitated last night. Only weeks before she had been telling me she didn't want to get involved.... though she made herself involved last night. So I turned it around and said 'Look, as you said yourself- don't get involved. This is between Opel lady and I... and no-one else'. That's the line I'll be sticking to. It really, at the end of the day is just about us two and there's no need for anyone else to get involved.

Well, that's you finished then. Not often I'm disappointed in a person on the Internet. OP this is not just between you and the bat**** woman, this is your neighbours' problem as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have to say I agree with the others who say it isn't just you and Opel lady involved - at a minimum Streetka people are in the mix, if not everyone.

You've just been the gentleman and have granted "rights" to everyone where there are none!

Why (I really am fascinated by this!) can the Streetka not be parked offside somewhere nearby, instead of occupying a perfectly good PARKING space that you clearly need (and your neighbour can see that you need).

There are two parking spaces being taken up for no good reason, from what I can see - that's where I would be starting from.

Streetka only takes one space. Being offroad is an easy target, but for me Opel is a main problem here.

Taking two spaces just in case is idiotic.

If the Opel lady had some sense she would park as normal person does, and there would be no issues at all.

If there is one car and its driver in this area that should be off the road the Opel is my pick.

Is the footpath in front of her house also paid for by her? Maybe she can park there, too? Or in her living room:confused:

None of these spaces belong to any of the residents. There are unwritten rules that we all know, but if you have one car only what's the problem there?

The problem is with the person, not the planning, number of parking spaces or the red Ka.

Well, that's you finished then. Not often I'm disappointed in a person on the Internet. OP this is not just between you and the bat**** woman, this is your neighbours' problem as well.

How do you mean? I'm far from finished. I'll be continuing to take the available spot when it's not being parked in. Rather than trying to manage 3 different houses, including people who aren't directly involved.... I've said it's between Opel lady and I.

Trying to deal with people knocking hard on your door at night, who then shout at your next door neighbour while in your front garden and whom don't have a car in either of the contested spots....... simply can't end well. It's best to tell them specifically that it's between the rest of us.

why don't you just park next to the grass opposite? there doesn't seem to be any restrictions.

why don't you just park next to the grass opposite? there doesn't seem to be any restrictions.

I've thought about that alright but I'm not sure if it'd cause an obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Opel woman is definitely in the wrong,she can't park improperly for any reason,the spots are delineated and I would take a picture of your car parked taking up two spaces,I would then call in and show her the picture and say you want to discuss the way forward.

I still don't get why the red car is parked there permanently,is the owner off the road for a reason,why is the car not being used.Can you legally park and uninsured untaxed car on a public road,what is the exact situation with this car.

This would drive me insane,I will never buy a property where spaces have to be shared.I know my friends new house has parking like yours but each house is assigned two spaces and there is a sign on each space with the neighbours house number on it.The free spots are designated for visitors use.

If you park behind the cars you would have to make sure to leave spaces for emergency services and bin collection trucks.I wouldn't do this,the main problem is opel woman taking up two spaces and all of the rest of you need to speak to her about this,why should her ex who doesn't even live there have his own reserved parking space.I can see why she is doing what she is doing and its probably partly because of the other car taking up a space permanently but its still ridiculous when there aren't enough spaces to go around.

Either get the council to mark out the spaces with house numbers or else just park wherever there is a free space.

• Advertisement

I've thought about that alright but I'm not sure if it'd cause an obstruction.

Park on the grass behind Opalbitch. Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mary63 wrote: »
    Either get the council to mark out the spaces with house numbers or else just park wherever there is a free space.

6 into 11 doesn't go...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is between Opel lady and I... and no-one else'. That's the line I'll be sticking to. It really, at the end of the day is just about us two and there's no need for anyone else to get involved.

Whoah there for a minute!
    This should not be between You and Opel Lady, its should be between Opel Lady and all her neighbours.
    Park where you like and leave it to the rest of them to sort her out.

Then its one marked space each Esel and the other spaces are operated on a first come first served basis.

You couldn't really safely park behind opel cow,the children are probably playing football on the green so you would be blocking visibility if you parked anywhere other than the designated spaces.

6 into 11 doesn't go...

6 residents spots and 5 visitors/free for all. Sorted.

Exactly wonski,its the only solution if its not possible to provide two spaces per house.

Op,do you have a residents association.I would call a meeting of all of you and out this proposal to your neighbours,you have two options,one is to have all the spots on a first come first served basis or else have one space marked per house and the other spaces first come first served.No one is to be allowed to park in anyway except between the delineated lines,I would ask opel car owner is she clear on this.

This has the potential to set you all against each other and its better to live in harmony when you are on top of each other like this.

• Advertisement

Is this a cul de sac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

A Panda would easily fit int he gap beside her car - remember to reverse in so you can exit your own car comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Whoah there for a minute!
    This should not be between You and Opel Lady, its should be between Opel Lady and all her neighbours.
    Park where you like and leave it to the rest of them to sort her out.

+1 on this, in fact making it just between you and her may be part of the problem, she may see it as a permanent 'land grab' for want of a better description.

If all 11 spaces are treated as first come, first served, everyone will be happy almost all of the time. If there's any formal or informal allocation of spaces, you get this kind of crap at a time when there are 11 spaces and 11 cars, imagine what it'll be like if there were 12 or more cars.

alias no.9 wrote: »

If all 11 spaces are treated as first come, first served, everyone will be happy almost all of the time. If there's any formal or informal allocation of spaces, you get...

There always is an informal allocation as everyone gets spots in front of their house.

No happiness to be achieved. People are lazy and want to see their car through their front window.

2 spaces per house is madness, though. Give them one allocated and the rest as first come basis.

I know estates where there are more than two cars per household, you can't plan these things. All fat and refuse to walk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

wonski wrote: »
    I know estates where there are more than two cars per household, you can't plan these things. All fat and refuse to walk...

When I was living back home there were 6 or 7 cars there, and none of us were fat. Well except for my dad. This crack of only putting a few spots outside outside houses instead of driveways is ridiculous if you ask me, but it seems to be the way nowadays.

I'll never buy a house without a driveway, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement