Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots and Costa coming to Tullamore

Options
  • 21-07-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Bit of good news for a change and some jobs. Boots and Costa are opening new locations in Tullamore.

The Costa is to be located opposite Tullamore Retail park Tesco/Woodies and beside Aldi. The building is under construction. http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/53394/costa-coffee-to-create-12-new-jobs-in-tullamore/ A town centre location would be better in my opinion though.

Boots are also opening soon. I presume it's in the old Number 1 (remember that lol) building where Menarys recently closed down. Hopefully some of those staff get re employed there. http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/53568

Tullamore has fallen way behind Athlone and now also Mullingar and even Portlaoise in recent years. Hopefully this is the start of new things to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

medoc wrote: »
    Bit of good news for a change and some jobs. Boots and Costa are opening new locations in Tullamore.

The Costa is to be located opposite Tullamore Retail park Tesco/Woodies and beside Aldi. The building is under construction. http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/53394/costa-coffee-to-create-12-new-jobs-in-tullamore/ A town centre location would be better in my opinion though.

That's well underway at this stage. Similar location to where Costa have standalone stores in retail parks around the country. Plus it gives somewhere to wait for the car to be tested.

I'd also hazard a guess that there will be a Costa in the new Applegreen site on the Clara Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Great that Boots are coming to Tullamore, will be great to have another pharmacy alongside Dolans in the Bridge Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

That's well underway at this stage. Similar location to where Costa have standalone stores in retail parks around the country. Plus it gives somewhere to wait for the car to be tested.

I'd also hazard a guess that there will be a Costa in the new Applegreen site on the Clara Rd.

It is but there is some sort of issue there. Applegreen due to open in the coming days but it will be a while before Costa open. There is a fake wall there, where costa would have been/

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

It is but there is some sort of issue there. Applegreen due to open in the coming days but it will be a while before Costa open. There is a fake wall there, where costa would have been/

Contractual problems? Maybe there was supposed to be exclusitivity on the Costa in Applegreen as it could have been planned before the Aldi carpark one. Otherwise it would have opened at the same time as the rest of the Applegreen.

Contractual problems? Maybe there was supposed to be exclusitivity on the Costa in Applegreen as it could have been planned before the Aldi carpark one. Otherwise it would have opened at the same time as the rest of the Applegreen.

Just what I've heard. Also, isn't there a small Costa at Dolans?

• Advertisement

I haven't been in Dolans in ages. Hopefully it's sorted soon. The more options in town the better.

No, it's just Costa branding on the takeaway coffee machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Now if Lidl or Aldi would set up opposite Apple Green......

Was in Mullingar today and as well as 2 Lidl stores there's now 2 Aldi's.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Now if Lidl or Aldi would set up opposite Apple Green......

Was in Mullingar today and as well as 2 Lidl stores there's now 2 Aldi's.

Lidl were looking for permission to build a store on the old Carrols meats opposite Church road Dunnes but I think it was refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Why do we a need another Lidl or Aldi, we already have them.
    Much better to get a Super Value or a Marks & Spensers for choice

• Advertisement

Why do we a need another Lidl or Aldi, we already have them.
    Much better to get a Super Value or a Marks & Spensers for choice

Whatever about the chances of or business case for an M&S I'm surprised that there isn't a Supervalue. Iceland were supposed to be coming too. The more choice in town the better.

Whatever about the chances of or business case for an M&S I'm surprised that there isn't a Supervalue.

I'd say the operators of the two Centras would have a fit if Musgraves tried to land a SuperValu in town as well. Which is a pity, as could do with one, out the entrance to Axis on Clara Rd would make a nice site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Boots are also opening soon. I presume it's in the old Number 1 (remember that lol) building where Menarys recently closed down.

It's mad how nothing ever really took off there. Probably did better as #1 :D

It's mad how nothing ever really took off there. Probably did better as #1 :D

Manys the night I queued in the rain and paid in to the Bridge. The door of Number 1 wide open, bouncers begging us to come in for free and still ended up in the Bridge. Mad indeed.

I'd say the operators of the two Centras would have a fit if Musgraves tried to land a SuperValu in town as well. Which is a pity, as could do with one, out the entrance to Axis on Clara Rd would make a nice site.

Plenty of houses up that part of town for a little row of shops or small shopping centre. Off licence, take away even a pub. Behind Centra maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Live out near axis/centra and it would be fantastic to get more shops/pub out that direction.

In the worlds worst kept secret, there is now a Boots-Coming Soon sign in the window of the former No.1/Menarys building.

Anyone know what's happening with the old Quinnsworth toy shop/Esb shop/Texas shop (wow that place has been busy)? I seen someone removing the for lease sign yesterday. Hopefully something is moving in. Also I seen the former Xtra vision shop has a lease agreed sign on it. Too many empty units around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anyone know what's happening with the old Quinnsworth toy shop/Esb shop/Texas shop (wow that place has been busy)? I seen someone removing the for lease sign yesterday. Hopefully something is moving in. Also I seen the former Xtra vision shop has a lease agreed sign on it. Too many empty units around town.

The very reason why there should be no more commercial development out side of the town center

The very reason why there should be no more commercial development out side of the town center

True. Pity that proposed Shopping centre redevelopment didn't take place for that whole Quinnsworth/Texas area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

See Petmania coming to KFC on Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Apple green is open now at the Clara road entrance to Axis business park. I'll be able to get a cuppa now on a Saturday morning before the young lads match kicks off in Leah Victoria :)

The 20 or so pharmacies in town aren't too happy about the new Boots coming to town. I think a lot of people would have preferred if Penny's took over there (or even down where Texas used to be).

Apple green is open now at the Clara road entrance to Axis business park. I'll be able to get a cuppa now on a Saturday morning before the young lads match kicks off in Leah Victoria :)

Apple green is open about a month and a half to 2 months now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A penny or even a TK MAXX would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Haven't seen anything else about Costa. Even the Costa website says nothing so went out there the other night and it's open until 7pm most nights, or 9pm on Thursdays and Fridays which is great because there's nowhere else in Tullamore to meet for an after work coffee of an evening. Pitty its so far from the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

cgcsb wrote: »
    A penny or even a TK MAXX would be most welcome.

It's unusual that Tullamore doesn't have a Penneys. It must be the only larger county town in Ireland that doesn't have one.

ongarboy wrote: »
    It's unusual that Tullamore doesn't have a Penneys. It must be the only larger county town in Ireland that doesn't have one.

They were looking at the town a few years ago, taking one of the anchor stores in the never built shopping centre at the old Texas.

Advertisement