Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single story or dormer

Options
  • 21-07-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for advice on the difference between a 2000sqf bungalow or 2000sqf domer house in terms of build cost differences. Unsure weather which to go for. Only ever lived in a bungalow. All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Assuming is gable to gable and the house is roughly 36x55 ft
    The dormer floor area would be about 55x18ft rgh 990sqft so rgh 120€/sqft = 118800€ roughly prob a bit less if you put in the proper size timbers from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

The dormer floor area would be about 55x18ft rgh 990sqft so rgh 120€/sqft = 118800€ roughly prob a bit less if you put in the proper size timbers from the start.

would I be right in saying so that the dormer "second" floor is coming in at 118k roughly?

degetme wrote: »
    would I be right in saying so that the dormer "second" floor is coming in at 118k roughly?

Depending on spec of course but taking in design & structure, air tightness, insulation, plumbing, electrical, finishing trades ect I'd reckon your looking at about 118k extra to change over to a dormer type construction imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Depending on spec of course but taking in design & structure, air tightness, insulation, plumbing, electrical, finishing trades ect I'd reckon your looking at about 118k extra to change over to a dormer type construction imo

I am confused?

A dormer of 2000 square foot will cost less than a bungalow off 2000 sq feet. Not more.

893bet wrote: »
    I am confused?

A dormer of 2000 square foot will cost less than a bungalow off 2000 sq feet. Not more.

Have another read of it and keep an eye out for the word extra

• Advertisement

Have another read of it and keep an eye out for the word extra

I see that. So an extra 118k to build a dormer? It should be a lot cheaper as foot print and roof is half the size?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

If I was building again I'd go bungalow or straight 2-storey rather than dormer.

It's a lot of extra work trying to make dormer's airtight and properly insulated, more so with the newest building regs.

Also long term, maintenance is much easier with a bungalow.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

What's the increased maintainance cost of a Dormer over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lads and lassies, we need to agree on some things here.

The OP starts with a 2000 sq foot bungalow or a 2000 sq f dormer

Then we get this
    Which is 1,980 down stairs and 1,000 upstairs so say 3,000 which is a turd bigger than the op's question.

I live in a dormer and the external footprint is 1,500 and about 700 upstairs so say 2,200.

We also get this from 893bet
    I see that. So an extra 118k to build a dormer? It should be a lot cheaper as foot print and roof is half the size?

Mine was a bungalow when I bought it and I converted upstairs, so its now a dormer..
    The bungalow was built with 9 by 2 ceiling joists and the ope trimmed with 9 by 4 for the stairs

I also disagree with this
    It's a lot of extra work trying to make dormer's airtight and properly insulated, more so with the newest building regs.

If done at the build stage it is not harder, in fact a lot easier in many respects, however as a retro/refurb project its an absolute nightmare.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Ahhhhh I'll have to get my glasses tested.
    Hands up I'm wrong
    I read the op as build a 2000sqft bungalow and add on the cost of works to add on another extra 1000sqft liveable space in the roof space including dormers instead of a dormer bungalow of a total floor area of 2000 sqft , my bad.
    There wouldn't be much in the cost difference. A little extra for labour working at at height and carting materials upstairs plus a stairs. But bear in mind in a bungalow all your rooms will be 8ft high ceilings which leaves scope for wardrobes and the like whereas in a dormer there's little play for position of furniture with the ceiling angles.
    I may read the op more carefully in future. Apologies.

• Advertisement

Hands up I'm wrong
    I read the op as build a 2000sqft bungalow and add on the cost of works to add on another extra 1000sqft liveable space in the roof space including dormers instead of a dormer bungalow of a total floor area of 2000 sqft , my bad.
    There wouldn't be much in the cost difference. A little extra for labour working at at height and carting materials upstairs plus a stairs. But bear in mind in a bungalow all your rooms will be 8ft high ceilings which leaves scope for wardrobes and the like whereas in a dormer there's little play for position of furniture with the ceiling angles.

No worries BD, one out of 650 odd posts is a good batting average:D

Interesting re the room space up stairs you are spot on and in many cases it fails the habitable room height requirement.
    Mine does, it was a 4 bed all down stairs when I bought it, converted upstairs, 2 bedrooms with ensuites.
    Two Home office rooms downstairs now so from a sales point of view it is now a two bedroom:)
    This is how they get advertised.
    Keep well

Hands up I'm wrong

On the above post so a dormer bungalow of a total liveable 2000sqf is coming in at the same roughly as a single story 2000sqf ? I'm at design stage for planning permission and I'm unsure what's the difference in cost between a four bed single story at around 1900sqf or a putting three beds on ground floor and one upstairs and make use of roof. Any advice appricated

On the above post so a dormer bungalow of a total liveable 2000sqf is coming in at the same roughly as a single story 2000sqf ? I'm at design stage for planning permission and I'm unsure what's the difference in cost between a four bed single story at around 1900sqf or a putting three beds on ground floor and one upstairs and make use of roof. Any advice appricated

Any comments / advice on above appricated

I think the bungalow has the potential to be far more expensive given the size of the foot print and size of the roof.

893bet wrote: »
    I think the bungalow has the potential to be far more expensive given the size of the foot print and size of the roof.[/quote

Would the roof of a bungalow without the liveable second floor not be cheaper to construct over a dormer bungalow? Do most people get a costing done on house plans before planning application?

Have you read post 12?

Re your roof post, why would the roof cost any more?

If u are sure of getting planning, then get an exact cost, else estimates will do pre planning

Advertisement