Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prototype Query

• 21-07-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I have an idea that l would like to try and prototype. It's for a small toy that just needs a plastic moulding to start off with. Does anyone know where l can get this done in Kildare or Dublin? Most prototype companies tend to deal with engineering, electronics or aps. It's only at idea stage with sketches. I hope to patent the idea if l can get drawings and a prototype complete.
    Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Its probably a bit early to be creating a mould to produce plastic parts. You maybe need an engineer or industrial designer to turn your sketches into a design that can be produced by a model maker or 3d printer and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ms Hughes

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Its probably a bit early to be creating a mould to produce plastic parts. You maybe need an engineer or industrial designer to turn your sketches into a design that can be produced by a model maker or 3d printer and take it from there.

Thanks for your advise. I'II try the Internet again to try and get started.

alias no.9 wrote: »

My own experience with a Dublin based engineer left a lot to be desired. My project basically stagnated and dragged out over 20 months because he prioritised bigger clients.

I had to complain in the end (and not for the first time) and all i have received from him were screenshots of the approved 3D design. Still haven't received a physical prototype. I've contacted a Chinese toy company though and they've worked off those screenshots and i've been delighted with the communication with this company and how they've taken my feedback on board so hoping to receive physical samples from them and make an order from there if the finance is approved.
    Its nerve wrecking because your taking a great leap into the unknown but i suppose all business is high risk really so hopefully there will be high reward to go with it.

Ive been royally fúcked over by the designer though to be honest. There is a lesson in there for anyone with a product idea. Make sure that those you bring it to give it its due diligence and care. Better still, do it through a college/it if possible. Yes the college do own the rights to the design which turned me off approaching them but i done new frontiers with enterprise ireland and the course admin advised that you can buy those rights off them over a the course of a couple of years and that they are committed essentially to the entrepreneur and the creation of jobs

You can apply for an innovation voucher worth €5000

Advertisement