Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruptured knee. Operation only cure ??

• 21-07-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    As my title states my spring cross ruptured her knee we got her exrayed. So she limps at times but definitely not moving around as she was. She is on anti inflammatories. The vet was saying about an op on her knee we would have to go to Galway for this and the cost is 1500.00 euro and they don't know if it will work. We have her on reduced food to drop a small bit of weight she is a small bit overy weight nothing much. Has anyone any experience of this type of injury or any insight ? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

If it's the cruciate ligament that's involved, then our dog had both her knees done at different times. The biggest problem was keeping her quiet for about six weeks after surgery, no running, chasing sticks, jumping in the pond etc., try telling that to a JRT with a mind of her own. She lived for years afterwards, thank goodness and was happy and active while she was at it but if say a visitor threw the ball for her when we weren't looking and she overdid it, there was a good bit of limping afterwards. She lived till she was almost 17 so it didn't shorten her life whatever about her mobility level. I don't know much more than that and what I do know isn't much but that's what happened with us. A lot depends on the age of the dog I guess but if nobody more knowledgeable drops by, you could google it and see what you can find. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

janmaree wrote: »
    If it's the cruciate ligament that's involved, then our dog had both her knees done at different times. The biggest problem was keeping her quiet for about six weeks after surgery, no running, chasing sticks, jumping in the pond etc., try telling that to a JRT with a mind of her own. She lived for years afterwards, thank goodness and was happy and active while she was at it but if say a visitor threw the ball for her when we weren't looking and she overdid it, there was a good bit of limping afterwards. She lived till she was almost 17 so it didn't shorten her life whatever about her mobility level. I don't know much more than that and what I do know isn't much but that's what happened with us. A lot depends on the age of the dog I guess but if nobody more knowledgeable drops by, you could google it and see what you can find. Good luck :)

Thanks it is the cruiate ligament. She is 8. Did your dog stop limping did it help mobility ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Hi Sadie, yes, she did stop limping after both surgeries and was fine most of the time. If we had been able to confine her totally each time, she might have done better but despite that, she really only limped if she charged around the garden too hard and for too long at a time. For a small dog, she could move like lightning and loved to race around the place but there was a limit! My advice would be to do better than we did; if the vet says "no running for 6 weeks", then no running for 6 weeks. There might be no limping at all then. I wish I could tell you more but as far as I can remember, there was no option other than surgery, at least none that we were offered. Hope it all goes well, I'd love to know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

janmaree wrote: »
    Hi Sadie, yes, she did stop limping after both surgeries and was fine most of the time. If we had been able to confine her totally each time, she might have done better but despite that, she really only limped if she charged around the garden too hard and for too long at a time. For a small dog, she could move like lightning and loved to race around the place but there was a limit! My advice would be to do better than we did; if the vet says "no running for 6 weeks", then no
    running for 6 weeks. There might be no limping at all then. I wish I could tell you more but as far as I can remember, there was no option other than surgery, at least none that we were offered. Hope it all goes well, I'd love to know how you get on.

Thanks janmaree looks like we won't have a choice. I've no pet insurance so ill have to save to come up with the money. These two dogs have cost me a fortune but I love them dearly. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your reply

Advertisement