Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Organised Residents United Movement (FORUM)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Great - another thread from you on this............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Mod note: Threads merged.

Sorry Dizzy Blonde ... I didn't mean to start another thread . Thanks for merging them !

Dak

Forum are holding a public meeting in the PSLC Portmarnock this Wednesday 5th October at 8pm....free and all welcome!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1203657782987592/

Forum are looking to raise its profile by getting people to join so that we can communicate more effectively with people who are interested in FORUM activities

FORUM is not an anti runway group but seeks to safeguard the quality of life of local communities by opposing changes to planning conditions 3 and 5 granted to the DAA which they are seeking to overturn. Shane Ross is paving the way for these changes to be potentially overturned by appointing the IAA as the competent authority under a new EU regulation 598/14 where he states that the IAA will not be bound by conditions foreseen back in the 2007 Planning approval .

To keep up to date and get latest FORUM news please Join FORUM by visiting www.portmarnock.org and completing the registration form or by clicking on this link https://www.cognitoforms.com/FORUM5/JoinFORUMTo

Regards

Dak

• Advertisement

For anyone wanting to know more about FORUM activities visit our Utube channnel and view our videos

DAK

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSkFKt-FeM_fEaLpm7uctfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The music & visual effects give the vids a great 80s vibe. Nice one! :)

Forum has started a petition to the irish Aviation Authority and Shane Ross to keep 2007 planning conditions limiting the no of night time flights at Dublin Airport to 65

Please sign our petition and share with all your friemds and contacts!

https://www.change.org/p/irish-aviation-authority-stop-night-time-noise-at-dublin-airport-say-no-to-changing-2007-planning-conditions

A Tongue in cheek video from FORUM

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I see work on the new runway is well underway.
    It's like a warzone up around the Forrest/St Margarets at the moment,it's a wonder the green brigade are not up in arm's.
    Thousand's of tree's,mile's of hedge's and ditch's etc destroyed,I'm not complaining,that's progress for ye.
    It is sad all the same for the like's of me that grew up there and for the few remaining people living in that area of St Margaret's to see the devastation visited upon the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mr. Dizzy was distraught when he saw the trees at Forest Great being chopped down. Hopefully they'll plant more when they move the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 taxiToTheGate

Some disclaimers first.

I'm an airline pilot working primarily out of Dublin for the past 20 years for one of the main airlines. I live in swords very close to the forest road area. I have NO affiliation to the DAA, nor represent any of their views etc.

IMO, noise pollution from the airport over the past 20 years has been relatively non existent, apart from the odd occasion when 16/34 is in use and the wind carries some of the noise over swords, in general airport noise intrusion in the swords area (especially) is not an issue.

This "FORUM" group unfortunately appear to be basing a lot of their concerns around rumour and hearsay. If the purpose of the group is to get clarification of some items from the DAA then that's fine, but it currently appears like it's more about spreading FUD (Fear uncertainty and doubt) more than anything else.

I really think any objection to the new runway and more importantly, the objection to the use of the new runway (more than 65 movements during 22:00-07:00) - has not been thought through properly at all. Perhaps a different perspective might be in order....coming from someone who actually flies these routes and airways above your head every day.

Rather than the current tactic of trying to enforce a reduced number of aircraft using Dublin Airport during the night when the new runway is built, there should be a focus on *only allowing DEPARTING aircraft to use the NORTH runway during the night period* (pre 7am) when the winds are westerly, and ensure that ALL landing traffic continues to use the current runway (28L / 10R).

[When winds are easterly the exact opposite should be done. Landings on the NORTH runway and Takeoffs on the SOUTH runway during the night.]

Why? Well think of it like this - at the moment there are NO restrictions on aircraft arriving/departing Dublin EVERY night...aircraft can land at 3am/4am/5am unrestricted (and do!) yet no one here is bothered at all by any of this at the moment. The fear is that the aircraft arriving on the new north runway will create all this new noise over portmarnock/kinsealy/feltrim areas etc and that the best way to prevent that happening is to ensure that the enforcement of 65 flights during that time period is implemented. I think this is completely the wrong way to tackle the problem.

By agreeing to NOT restrict the number of aircraft that can use the north runway during the night BUT demanding that aircraft MUST use the current runway for landings during this period you end up with a win win. The airport gets to expand and create jobs/growth for the country (and more importantly the swords area), aircraft that are ALREADY landing on the south runway every night will continue to do so, thus not adding any extra noise to those residents who seem to have the biggest concerns ....and everyone should be relatively happy.

If you continue to demand that the airport be CRIPPLED after the new runway gets built (6am-7am is probably the busiest period of the entire day), when the inevitable defeat comes in the courts in a few years, you will have lost any leverage you might have had, and with it any chance to have control over flight paths for ever.

Of course though, what would I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

It would be great if FORUM actually took up your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

TaxiTothegate...great post and pure common sense,it will probably take no end of legal wrangling and fee's for both parties to reach the compromise and resolution you have proposed.
    As an ex resident of St Margarets,I know the resident's relationship with Aer Rianta/DAA has never been good,and that the DAA has never been a good neighbour.
    Having said that,as I said in an earlier post it is right and proper that residents should expect the DAA to operate the Airport to the highest possible standard'd re noise ,pollution etc.
    At the end of the day ,the new runway will be built,the solution proposed above is pure simple common sense,which as we all know is in limited supply around many of our government/local/regulatory bodies and indeed else where in the business world.
    No doubt this saga will continue,as this week's Fingal Indo report's ..http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/legal-challenges-launch-against-north-runway-35526592.html ... it's a pity no one can get all parties around a table and put this solution on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Taxi to the gate, so shooting the breeze how do you assess the increase in air pollution once the north runway goes in? Surely kinsealy, feltrim and st. Margarets are going to get a right blast from takeoffs.

Advertisement