If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector

Options
  • 21-07-2016 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for a recommendation on a projector and screen...
    -- will be going into a large living space that has a high ceiling of 2.9m with rafters/beams and alas will I require lens shift due to height of ceiling and also dont wish to have a long pole with projector at the end on view? 
    -- content being played is 80-90% SKYHD, with the remainder being 1080P movies/series
    -- 3D would be a nice to have but not a requirement
    -- seating will be approx 8ft from screen and there is a further 9ft of space behind the couch so throw shouldn't be an issue.
    -- what screensize would be recommended? 72"?
    -- ideally would prefer a pull up screen as can disguise the unit.

Thank you

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

viperlogic wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a recommendation on a projector and screen...
    -- will be going into a large living space that has a high ceiling of 2.9m with rafters/beams and alas will I require lens shift due to height of ceiling and also dont wish to have a long pole with projector at the end on view? 
    -- content being played is 80-90% SKYHD, with the remainder being 1080P movies/series
    -- 3D would be a nice to have but not a requirement
    -- seating will be approx 8ft from screen and there is a further 9ft of space behind the couch so throw shouldn't be an issue.
    -- what screensize would be recommended? 72"?
    -- ideally would prefer a pull up screen as can disguise the unit.

Thank you
    HI Viperlogic

Many thanks for your post. The Entry level projector with lens shift would be the Benq W1110 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202056-w1110s.aspx at €829 - It's a decent spec projector, 3d ready and Full HD - currently available from stock
    For a step up from that, there is the OPtoma HD50 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200779-hd50.aspx at €1199 - which is also 3d ready but has a much higher contrast ratio, and a larger scope for the throw distance

For screens, would you like motorised or pull down?
    For the size of room I;d say you could go for a 92" or 106"  - eg for a 106" manual pull down screen you'd be looking in and around £199, and for a motorised, around £459 to give you a couple of rough prices

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Hi Brian

Thank you for the response. From my somewhat limited knowledge of projectors & screens would 92" or 106" be too big when sitting only 8 feet away in that will be able to see the pixels? As above, content will be 80-90% 720P with remainder 1080P.

Regards lens shift, those two models have very limited lens shift. Do ye have anything suitable for a 2.9m (9.5 feet) high ceiling?

Thanks again

Hi Brian

Thank you for the response. From my somewhat limited knowledge of projectors & screens would 92" or 106" be too big when sitting only 8 feet away in that will be able to see the pixels? As above, content will be 80-90% 720P with remainder 1080P.

Regards lens shift, those two models have very limited lens shift. Do ye have anything suitable for a 2.9m (9.5 feet) high ceiling?

Thanks again
    A 92" or 106" screen would be fine at that sort of distance, in our demo room we use a 92" and sitting around that from it
    On the Lens shift, I'll need to do a bit more research on it, but you can get long drop extensions for brackets if it's a big issue?

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Ideally would like to avoid a long drop extension as can be an eye sore. I'm just about getting away with mounting a projector between the rafters/beams as is from the boss!

Ideally would like to avoid a long drop extension as can be an eye sore. I'm just about getting away with mounting a projector between the rafters/beams as is from the boss!
    HI Viper, 

most projectors will have a certain amount of lens shift in them, there doesn't seem to be many that have a large scope of shift.
    That said at 2.9m it's not overly tall, so with the lens shift on these, plus you may need to use a bit of keystone, you should be OK at that sort of height

Regards
    Brian

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.