Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

73 new social housing units announced for Ballyburke, Knocknacarra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

not sure but it's good news where ever they build them, more of the same please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

not sure but it's good news where ever they build them, more of the same please :)

There's already a lot of social housing in that area so not really great news sticking all in one area. They really should look at spreading it out more evenly across the city & county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

There's already a lot of social housing in that area so not really great news sticking all in one area. They really should look at spreading it out more evenly across the city & county.

at this stage it's just good to see social housing getting built

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Where else in the city should it be built?
    There's social housing in Ballybane, Doughiska, Roscam, Balinfoyle, Castlegar and Westside.
    Probably more that I don't know about.
    Not getting at you. Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's social housing in Ballybane, Doughiska, Roscam, Balinfoyle, Castlegar and Westside.

+ Bohermore, Mervue and the city-centre.

Excellent question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Taylors Hill
    Salthill
    Kingston
    Dangan
    Bushypark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Taylors Hill
    Salthill
    Kingston
    Dangan
    Bushypark

Taylors hill they would love that up there not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They just opened some in Barna...which I'd count as a pretty fancy area.

+ Bohermore, Mervue and the city-centre.

Excellent question.

Forgot about Bohermore.
    Might be mistaken, but although Mervue would've started out as social housing, most of it would've been bought out by tenants long since.

Taylors Hill
    Salthill
    Kingston
    Dangan
    Bushypark

Interesting. Never knew that. Can't ever remember social housing estate in Salthill and wouldn't be familiar with the other areas.
    Do you know the names of the social housing estates? Is there a list on any website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Interesting. Never knew that. Can't ever remember social housing estate in Salthill and wouldn't be familiar with the other areas.
    Do you know the names of the social housing estates? Is there a list on any website?

Hes just saying that there isnt any in these areas. But doesn't point out the state owned land in these areas suitable to social housing.

Eamon Casey led the way when he put a halting site in the palace garden.

Forgot about Bohermore.
    Might be mistaken, but although Mervue would've started out as social housing, most of it would've been bought out by tenants long since.

Not in Walter Macken flats, it wouldn't have.

There are some supported tenants in a couple of places in Salthill. Not sure if they're council owned properties, or privately rented. There's also a women's refuge and an asylum seeker residence.

The challenge of pricier areas is of course the land-cost and build-cost of housing that fits in with the character of the area. If you can get six houses in "Upper Knocknacarra" for the same price as two in Taylors Hill (guessing the numbers here, but the principle applies) - then which is the better use of government funds?

Not in Walter Macken flats, it wouldn't have.

There are some supported tenants in a couple of places in Salthill. Not sure if they're council owned properties, or privately rented. There's also a women's refuge and an asylum seeker residence.

The challenge of pricier areas is of course the land-cost and build-cost of housing that fits in with the character of the area. If you can get six houses in "Upper Knocknacarra" for the same price as two in Taylors Hill (guessing the numbers here, but the principle applies) - then which is the better use of government funds?

Well, I guess I'd be in the minority here, but I actually think that society would be better served if social housing was spread across all areas of the city and not just the lower socio-economic areas.
    Absolutely, in a financial sense, you get more bang for your buck by buying/building social housing in cheaper areas. But piling more and more houses into these areas only drives property prices lower for those who have purchased homes there.
    Also, for a variety of reasons, you are more likely to find "difficult" people living in social housing and pushing all of these people in the same areas leads to a lot of anti- social behaviour.
    Creating ghettos seems to be acceptable to our local authorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Wompa1 wrote: »
    They just opened some in Barna...which I'd count as a pretty fancy area.

Best location in Galway Barna say they are equally delighted out there dont understand why they would pick the most expensive part of Galway to build property for social housing makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Taylors Hill
    Salthill
    Kingston
    Dangan
    Bushypark

Where exactly is there room for 73 units in Taylor's Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

bobbyss wrote: »
    Where exactly is there room for 73 units in Taylor's Hill?

How about a CPO for the Pitch & Putt? If you build some apartments as well there should be enough space for 73 units ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

How about a CPO for the Pitch & Putt? If you build some apartments as well there should be enough space for 73 units ;)

I see. I don't know how big the pitch and putt place. Perhaps it is big enough to hold 73 units. But that location is an amenity for the general public, is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bobbyss wrote: »
    I see. I don't know how big the pitch and putt place. Perhaps it is big enough to hold 73 units. But that location is an amenity for the general public, is it not?
    There is loadsa space on TaylorsHill. The Sisters of Mercy own a large tract of land adjacent Lenaboy Castle for example. It should've been seized by the State as part of the redress to victims for industrial schools imo.
    There are plenty of smaller sites that could house a few tower blocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

audi12 wrote: »
    Best location in Galway Barna say they are equally delighted out there dont understand why they would pick the most expensive part of Galway to build property for social housing makes no sense.

I think that place was laying unfinished for a long time and Cluid took it on.

It's a bit crappy that most people working 40+ hours a week could never in their wildest dreams afford a place to even rent in Barna and people who don't and very possibly never will work, get a place for peanuts.

In general though, if it's out of the taxpayers pocket, it should be on cheaper land...that's common sense..it would seem elitist to only put them in poor areas but it's the most affordable in terms of land...

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is loadsa space on TaylorsHill. The Sisters of Mercy own a large tract of land adjacent Lenaboy Castle for example. It should've been seized by the State as part of the redress to victims for industrial schools imo.
    There are plenty of smaller sites that could house a few tower blocks :D

How many times have the Sisters of Mercy been refused planning permission for putting housing on that land? If they cannot get it for regular housing, then how would anyone get planning for social housing (small units, lower spec).

As for tower blocks ... ya, I can see ABP going for that idea. Not.

In all the areas mentioned above which contain social housing, there are a mix of privately owned and social housing units - right down to individual estate level.

I can't find the link now, but know that I've seen some research lately saying that for kids who grow up in (relative) poverty, it's the perceived level of deprivation that impacts then, rather than the absolute level. So being the only poor household in the estate is a more shameful, difficult experience than being one of the 50% of households in the estate who are equally poor.

Being put in an area where you don't fit in and don't have any friends is not going to do anything for the anti-social behaviour patterns that some (usually a small minority) social housing tenants have.

Advertisement