Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oakley Prism V Polarised

Options
  • 22-07-2016 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests
    Has anyone any experience of the difference between the two. I'm currently trying to decide what to get with the asain fit radars i'm about to order
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Prism lenses are the business, bright but kill glare and they contrast well so spotting road hazards (potholes and cracks) is very easy. They do completely skew with colours though.
    Only rode with polarized lenses once, hate it. Couldn't see my head unit without having to lean forward over the bars, couldn't tell the difference between dark tar and standing water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Have never tried the polarised, but the Prizms are great. As StevieGriff says, they are bright (almots a blue-ish hue off the world) and it's easy to see what's in front of you. I went with the Jawbrekaers, the only negative being the thickish bottom rim makes it tricky to see vehicles etc when looking behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I like the brightness of the Prizm, cheers me up, sometimes I find the colour distortion a bit off putting at times.
    I like the look of my polarised lens(black iridium), but rarely use them, because of the problem mentioned by StevieGriff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Asian fit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Eamonnator wrote: »

I think Oakley are an absolute ripoff for what they are. I've a pair of them that cost a bomb and I wish I'd never bought them. The tifosi I got for about a 1/4 of the price are more comfortable and just as well made.
    Clearly Oakley are doing something right, but the price they charge is scandalous.
    I read before that they very deliberately charge a premium price to enforce the idea its a premium product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Prism lenses are the business, bright but kill glare and they contrast well so spotting road hazards (potholes and cracks) is very easy. They do completely skew with colours though.
    Only rode with polarized lenses once, hate it. Couldn't see my head unit without having to lean forward over the bars, couldn't tell the difference between dark tar and standing water.

I have Oakley M Frames with Polarized Lens. I love them. They fit well and I Like the Polarized lens. I tend to go for very dark lens as I find i'm "squinting" when i wear anything other than really dark lens. As for the Polarized effect, no issue seeing my garmin. Horses for courses i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

07Lapierre wrote: »
    As for the Polarized effect, no issue seeing my garmin.

Usually the only issue I get from polarized lenses is if I tilt my head slightly and the vertical/horizontal filters clash and the likes of the screen on a phone, dashboard disappears.

terrydel wrote: »
    I think Oakley are an absolute ripoff for what they are. I've a pair of them that cost a bomb and I wish I'd never bought them. The tifosi I got for about a 1/4 of the price are more comfortable and just as well made.
    Clearly Oakley are doing something right, but the price they charge is scandalous.
    I read before that they very deliberately charge a premium price to enforce the idea its a premium product.

I agree completely about Oakley's pricing.
    I like mine, but wouldn't dream of buying them, lovely present though.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Usually the only issue I get from polarized lenses is if I tilt my head slightly and the vertical/horizontal filters clash and the likes of the screen on a phone, dashboard disappears.

Have you considered the possibility that the problem is your eyes and not the lens! :P

• Advertisement

Quite possibly, I got laser surgery a few years ago and maybe they only corrected the vertical part, so whenever I turn my head sideways they don't work properly!

Quite possibly, I got laser surgery a few years ago and maybe they only corrected the vertical part, so whenever I turn my head sideways they don't work properly!

Apologies no offence intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bought a pair of Radar EV polarized for 130 on Amazon. I wouldn't pay the full price, 220. Very nice glasses indeed, but the prism lens is so much better for cycling. Radarlock path polarized are about 300 euro and I have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The photocromic are pretty good too. Good for our changeable weather. I have prizms and they are very clear. Bit of colour distortion like others have said, they make them for different sports too so just be sure it's the road cycling prizm lense, probably not a huge difference between them but may as well be sure when your spending that money.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Apologies no offence intended.

I know, I was taking the piss. It was just regular vision correction surgery that's so common these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

terrydel wrote: »

No to mention the extortionate price if you want to go prescription!! They have their own patented prescription lenses i was quoted €600 for a pair of flak sunglasses with prescription lenses. Bought a lovely pair of oakley radar in the end (for €150) and wear contacts under them. I really like the radar series. The jawbreakers prizm looked ridiculous on me

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Cheers lads
    I'm currently using polarised lenses on a pair of radars bit I can get confused between tar/puddles in the wet hence why I'm asking the question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Vote for Prizm here as well. Radar EV are a great pair of sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

I have a couple of sets of jawbreaker and jawbones that are replicas,they are perfect in every way and the lenses are excellent quality , was comparing them in Killarney at the Rok with lads real versions and we all agreed there was very little difference, Oakleys are a rip off totally, good marketing and Pr increased demand hence price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Where did you get the replicas?

• Advertisement

Maybe if people didn't buy knock offs companies wouldn't have to spend money on brand protection and allow the savings filter down.

What's the point in buying knock offs anyway? Why not just cheaper genuine glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Maybe if people didn't buy knock offs companies wouldn't have to spend money on brand protection and allow the savings filter down.

What's the point in buying knock offs anyway? Why not just cheaper genuine glasses?

Like the look just not the price so a knock off is something I'd buy.

Any other brands that you would recommend then? Looked at Salice ones which were decent looking.

dahat wrote: »
    Where did you get the replicas?
    A lad at home brings them in from Australia, all the go out there apparently.
    Friends of mine in the club all use them for racing instead of using the expensive ones on the bike incase of a crash or diesel or salt on the roads destroying the good lenses when the roads are wet, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

dvntie wrote: »
    Cheers lads
    I'm currently using polarised lenses on a pair of radars bit I can get confused between tar/puddles in the wet hence why I'm asking the question

This is exactly why I'd caution against buying polarised for cycling. I have some casual polarised Oakleys and notice this effect a lot if I use them commuting. I can put up with it a commuting speed but I certainly won't them use racing or out on the road bike.

Same problem skiing - it can be hard to spot icy patches. In fact when I was looking up skiing goggles there were a few people questioning why they even sell polarised ski goggles as they can be dangerous. I'd agree.

Polarised are great on water though. FWIW I use the Oakley photochromics, useable at night and on blue sky days. Great glasses for all conditions except driving. Windscreen glass blocks out UV so the lens stay clear.

Knockoffs imply that they are stolen property, these are not stolen, they just don't have the expensive polarised lenses. They are exact in every way.One lad bought the real lenses online for €70 fitted perfect, he has a €285 set of glasses now for less than half price!
    Well it's knockoff versus ripoff , if people have money to pay over the top then fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Maybe if people didn't buy knock offs companies wouldn't have to spend money on brand protection and allow the savings filter down

It's about handbags but interesting reading
    https://www.1843magazine.com/style/demand-curve

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

uphillonly wrote: »
    This is exactly why I'd caution against buying polarised for cycling. I have some casual polarised Oakleys and notice this effect a lot if I use them commuting. I can put up with it a commuting speed but I certainly won't them use racing or out on the road bike.

Same problem skiing - it can be hard to spot icy patches. In fact when I was looking up skiing goggles there were a few people questioning why they even sell polarised ski goggles as they can be dangerous. I'd agree.

Polarised are great on water though. FWIW I use the Oakley photochromics, useable at night and on blue sky days. Great glasses for all conditions except driving. Windscreen glass blocks out UV so the lens stay clear.

I had used the polarised lenses on the water for years and I swore by them. They cut the glare perfectly but on the road I have seen the limitations.
    Prize seems to be the way to go and no I don't use knock offs anymore. I had a knock off half jacket lense shatter on me once when hit by a stone. I was lucky not to have damaged my eye.
    You do get what you pay for. Expensive or not.

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Knockoffs imply that they are stolen property, these are not stolen, they just don't have the expensive polarised lenses. They are exact in every way.One lad bought the real lenses online for €70 fitted perfect, he has a €285 set of glasses now for less than half price!
    Well it's knockoff versus ripoff , if people have money to pay over the top then fair play.

The IP is stolen.

Advertisement