Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs barking all night

• 22-07-2016 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Who in their right mind sits in thier house listening to their dog barking without taking any action?

It's 1:30 now and the dog has been barking since before 8. Nobody has stuck thier head out at all to calm the dog down.

Any suggestions for how to approach the owner and tell them to get the dog to stfu?

They charge for minding dogs, i'm thinking of standing on the road in the morning and tell thier customers exactly what's going on

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The first step is to approach and tell them it's a nuisance - be prepared for 'we can't hear him' like what our neighbors said when 4 people approached them. If they get pissy enquire about their boarding fees and also ask if they're declaring their earnings to revenue and have the correct insurance lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Is there some sort of licence needed off the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The best starting point is to call around to their house to speak to them about it.

It's probably just me, but for dramatic affect and to hammer home the point, I'd do it at 1.30am if that's the time the dog is barking at.

Ring the bell and leave your finger on it until they get up. Point out that's it's 1.30 in the morning and you cannot get any sleep and you've had enough of this.
    If their dogs are keeping you up, you get them up!

Worry about what to do next when the time comes but that's what I'd do as a start point.

The best starting point is to call around to their house to speak to them about it.

It's probably just me, but for dramatic affect and to hammer home the point, I'd do it at 1.30am if that's the time the dog is barking at.

Ring the bell and leave your finger on it until they get up. Point out that's it's 1.30 in the morning and you cannot get any sleep and you've had enough of this.
    If their dogs are keeping you up, you get them up!

Worry about what to do next when the time comes but that's what I'd do as a start point.
    They kept going until near 3 I was very tempted to call over then.

I might see I'd the dogs react to the sound of other dogs howling. Thinking about playing it loud on my phone to get them howling on demand.

I've just picked up one of those silent dogs whistles and dug out a Garth Brooks cd.

• Advertisement

I've just picked up one of those silent dogs whistles and dug out a Garth Brooks cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can you see the dog? If you can try video it barking at stupid o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Smondie wrote: »
    dug out a Garth Brooks cd.

Sure that's worse than listening to the dogs! :D

Can you see the dog? If you can try video it barking at stupid o clock
    Good idea, I'd have no problem recording it, it should be fairly easy.

The CD player is outside, i'm happily inside listening to my radio :pac:

• Advertisement

The CD player is outside, i'm happily inside listening to my radio :pac:

It's mad she's sitting inside and about 10 dogs are jumping up at the window and barking in at her; All feckin day

She shouted out the window at them at about 11 this morning and has been ignoring them since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It's mad she's sitting inside and about 10 dogs are jumping up at the window and barking in at her; All feckin day

She shouted out the window at them at about 11 this morning and has been ignoring them since

Thats no way to be running dog boarding aside from anything else. Id say the dog warden would put a stop to it quickly. Id phone him anyway. Imagine leaving your dog with her thinking itss being cared for
    :(

If she charges a tenner per dog per day shes making 100 quid a day!! And you're suffering for it. Report her.

maggiepip wrote: »
    If she charges a tenner per dog per day shes making 100 quid a day!! And you're suffering for it. Report her.
    To who?

I'll hunt down the local dog wardens number. It's driving me nuts. I'm on the verge of going over there and bringing the dogs for a walk myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

How does she advertise? Is there a review section where you can leave comments? Facebook or elsewhere?

Get a video of the dogs going mad and post it onto her site feedback or anywhere locally that may be of use.

Fcuk her, she's not fit to look after animals.

To who?

I'll hunt down the local dog wardens number. It's driving me nuts. I'm on the verge of going over there and bringing the dogs for a walk myself.

To be honest if it were me I'd probably see what the dog warden has to say first. She must have some cheek running an operation like that in such a shambolic way and disrupting neighbours at the same time.. Im sure you must need some sort of license or something to mind so many dogs, surely?

To be honest if it were me I'd probably see what the dog warden has to say first. She must have some cheek running an operation like that in such a shambolic way and disrupting neighbours at the same time.. Im sure you must need some sort of license or something to mind so many dogs, surely?

Yeah isn't it a general dog licence they'd need at the very least - nice bill for €400 for them lol! What about public liability too - are they waking the dogs at all?

I haven't seen them walking the dogs, I highly doubt they do.

Someone just came out and quietened them down. It must be near picking up time, or they heard me asking a dog was he being neglected. I've found thier fb page and am currently composing a review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

There's been more than one thread already about this kind of thing. It's quite divisive.
    My 2c. If you think you're neighbours are mental, dont knock in and THEN complain to authorities. They'll know it was you.
    If they are reasonable people, then knock into them.

• Advertisement

I've found thier fb page and am currently composing a review.

What are the charging per dog out of interest to leave them out barking all day?

My 15 minutes? of quiet bliss is over. They're off again.

I'm trying to find thier prices, all I have read out thier website is they walk the dogs twice a day? 10 euros/day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ring the revenue commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭alpha13

if they are not being walked.. of course the dogs will be going nuts and barking like mad....they are being NEGLECTED pure and simple!!! as a dog owner i would be livid and disgusted if my dog was there and found out what was going on.
    you need to report them to the dspca for the sake of the dogs AND i would go so far as to report them both to revenue AND the local council.
    they do need a special licence for having a good few dogs...
    also... you could report them to the guards as you are responsible for your dog making noise at an ungodly hour at night too...

alpha13 wrote: »
    if they are not being walked.. of course the dogs will be going nuts and barking like mad....they are being NEGLECTED pure and simple!!! as a dog owner i would be livid and disgusted if my dog was there and found out what was going on.
    you need to report them to the dspca for the sake of the dogs AND i would go so far as to report them both to revenue AND the local council.
    they do need a special licence for having a good few dogs...
    also... you could report them to the guards as you are responsible for your dog making noise at an ungodly hour at night too...

There is one particular dog who never stops. He's looking in the window at them as we speak barking away. He is nearly hoarse. I've made a sound recording.

I'm going to start collecting a bit of evidence which is easy enough and back up my complaint

Is this the correct thing i'm looking at? Does this apply to a commercial dog place?

Dogs
    Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 deals with nuisance by barking dogs. If you don t get a satisfactory response from the dog owner, you may complain to the District Court, using the form prescribed under the Control of Dogs Act. These forms are available from local authorities.

The court may make an order requiring the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over a dog. The court may limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or may direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with as unwanted

citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html#l84e98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Thats no way to be running dog boarding aside from anything else. Id say the dog warden would put a stop to it quickly. Id phone him anyway. Imagine leaving your dog with her thinking itss being cared for
    :(

The dog warden actually does not have alot of power here in this situation, if the person is boarding dogs then he / she must have the correct licences you can board dogs in your house there is a certain amount of them allowed, is this house registered as a business ? have you actually gone in and spoken to this person?

This is a very complicated situation regarding noise pollution from the dogs I know the place where I leave my dog her neighbor has a problem with the dogs there and she had to make sure all her documentation etc was correct and in place, the neighbor says the dogs are barking all day long and standing in their own toilet which simply isn't true because I have been over there plenty of times and its always very clean with no dogs barking plus they get walked at 7am every day for 6K so do be well tired when they come back.

Dog warden or DSPCA can't do alot unfortunately you should call in and speak to them.

Angel2016 wrote: »
    This is a very complicated situation regarding noise pollution from the dogs I know the place where I leave my dog her neighbor has a problem with the dogs there and she had to make sure all her documentation etc was correct and in place, the neighbor says the dogs are barking all day long and standing in their own toilet which simply isn't true because I have been over there plenty of times and its always very clean with no dogs barking plus they get walked at 7am every day for 6K so do be well tired when they come back.

Dog warden or DSPCA can't do alot unfortunately you should call in and speak to them.
    Call in and say what? Your dogs are barking? It's unacceptanle to have dogs barking from 5am? Sorry if they are that stupid that they can't hear the dogs, why would I waste my time? I'll be calling in at 3am the next time or Maybe 5:30 on a sunday morning. Don't be too sure your dogminders neighbours are lying. Luckily I have video and am collecting more evidence every day.

• Advertisement

And I can guarantee they are not walking the dogs in the morning time. Ffs on Sunday they didn't acknowledge the dogs until after 10:30. That's 5 hours of solid barking before they got up out of the bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

name & shame?

frash wrote: »
    name & shame?
    I'd love to but I won't here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would certainly video it and show it to the dogs owners as they arrive for pickup
    You will kill their business in under a week doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Someone just came out and quietened them down. It must be near picking up time, or they heard me asking a dog was he being neglected. I've found thier fb page and am currently composing a review.

what did he say?

what did he say?
    He said 'it's ruff'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This group

http://ibkca.ie/

has a code of ethics, below. They also list their members who have signed up.

Depending on how much the OP values the friendship of the neighbours, they have a number of routes such as the control of dogs, local gardai (they hate being bothered with minor matters, so keep at it until they are forced to act!), the SPCA; facebook review; revenue commissioners. Are the dogs being fed and exercised, have they access to drinking water. Have they kennels to sleep in? Are aggressive dogs kept apart from meeker ones. A group of dogs together will develop its own dynamic.

Keep us all posted ....

Members of the IBKCA must undertake:
    To provide thorough care for the animals entrusted to them, always being attentive to their security, safety and well-being and to place their welfare above all other business considerations.
    To deal honestly and fairly with the public and to avoid misrepresentation of their services.
    To place service to their customers and to the pet care services industry above personal gain.
    To respect the confidence of every customer served.
    To encourage responsible pet ownership.
    To take every opportunity to learn more about their profession and to improve their services.
    To support the IBKCA, its policies and programmes and to participate as fully as possible in its activities.
    To be respectful of, and to cooperate with the other professions and trades who operate within the pet care industry.
    To avoid unfair competitive practices, slander or defamation of their competitors. To avoid any actions or business practices which would result in bringing dishonour upon or distrust of their competitors or of the pet care services industry in general.
    To obey all applicable national and local laws governing animal care and business practices.
    To operate their business in such a manner as to reflect honour upon the pet care services industry within their local community and the country.
    DEFRA’S FIVE FREEDOMS – the ideal to be adhered to by all members of IBKCA.

FREEDOM FROM HUNGER AND THIRST
    To provide enough fresh water and the right type and amount of food to keep the boarding animal fit and well.

FREEDOM FROM DISCOMFORT
    To make sure that all boarding animals have the right type of environment, this must include shelter from draughts and a comfortable bed.

FREEDOM FROM PAIN, INJURY AND DISEASE
    To prevent them from getting ill or injured while in our care and to make sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly if they do so.

FREEDOM TO EXPRESS NORMAL BEHAVIOUR
    To make sure all our boarding animals have enough space and proper facilities in order to behave in a normal manner.

FREEDOM FROM FEAR AND DISTRESS
    To make sure their living conditions and their treatment avoids causing them mental suffering

Call in and say what? Your dogs are barking? It's unacceptanle to have dogs barking from 5am? Sorry if they are that stupid that they can't hear the dogs, why would I waste my time? I'll be calling in at 3am the next time or Maybe 5:30 on a sunday morning. Don't be too sure your dogminders neighbours are lying. Luckily I have video and am collecting more evidence every day.

I trust my dog minder she is a friend plus she has a live stream up so owners can see their dogs 24/7 her neighbor called in to discuss the dogs she felt there was too many at one time the dogs don't be barking I have been over there loads of different times and it's quiet my dog is old ( 16 ) and she had a lovely time there, if it was me I would call in and say listen those dogs are barking constantly and if you dont stop it I will report you to the council, I have a house across from me who's dogs start every night at 2am I said it to them when they were passing they weren't impressed but I wanted them to know it is disturbing people.

Yes they have lovely kennels and as far as I know they are ok with food and water. I never hear fighting ,so I think separation of dogs is ok. I think they are locked in individual kennels a lot (when they're not looking in the window barking) and when one starts barking it sets all the others off. I just wish they'd address the barking.

Thanks for the info,very useful

Yes they have lovely kennels and as far as I know they are ok with food and water. I never hear fighting ,so I think separation of dogs is ok. I think they are locked in individual kennels a lot (when they're not looking in the window barking) and when one starts barking it sets all the others off. I just wish they'd address the barking.

Thanks for the info,very useful

Exercise would help all of them to tire them out they would be quiet then, best of luck sorting it the dogs on my road still bark 3 x JRT they are never walked or exercised but I am very vocal with my neighbor when I see them and so is the rest of the road.
    I hope you get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I knocked on my neigbours door at 4 AM one morning,actually,no,I woke dh from his coma and made him go in.

I had listened to weeks and weeks of this right under my bedroom window and just exploded.

Neighbour got the fright of her life,I suppose no one wants a knock on the door at 4 AM,well tough,that was the end of the barking,dog was brought in after that.

I rang neighbour again wen the next dog started barking on sunday morning shortly at 7 AM.I requested that he be brought indoors as we were being disturbed,dog brought in no problem.

Neighbour always get these Jack Russell type rescue dogs who bark incessantly and they are not suitable when you live in terraced housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dishdash

Mary63 wrote: »
    I knocked on my neigbours door at 4 AM one morning,actually,no,I woke dh from his coma and made him go in.

I had listened to weeks and weeks of this right under my bedroom window and just exploded.

Neighbour got the fright of her life,I suppose no one wants a knock on the door at 4 AM,well tough,that was the end of the barking,dog was brought in after that.

I rang neighbour again wen the next dog started barking on sunday morning shortly at 7 AM.I requested that he be brought indoors as we were being disturbed,dog brought in no problem.

Neighbour always get these Jack Russell type rescue dogs who bark incessantly and they are not suitable when you live in terraced housing.

Dogs get de-barked in USA
    Not permitted in Ireland- illegal
    Believe it reduces the bark to a mild croak

dishdash wrote: »
    Dogs get de-barked in USA
    Not permitted in Ireland- illegal
    Believe it reduces the bark to a mild croak

Are you actually promoting de-barking a dog as a solution to a neighbours dog barking?? After pulling experienced owners up in another thread for passing on common knowledge?

:rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you actually promoting de-barking a dog as a solution to a neighbours dog barking?? After pulling experienced owners up in another thread for passing on common knowledge?

:rolleyes:

Not at all.
    It is ILLEGAL in Ireland, as I stated in my post.
    I can't be clearer than that, and according to the rules of boards, I would never encourage anyone to do anything illegal.
    I very much don't care for your suggestion that I would promote this- which I didn't- but I won't engage with you on this any further. It is clearly illegal in Ireland. Thank you

It's just interesting to see how matters are dealt with in another jurisdiction. It may stimulate debate, which is always good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

dishdash wrote: »
    Not at all.
    It is ILLEGAL in Ireland, as I stated in my post.
    I can't be clearer than that, and according to the rules of boards, I would never encourage anyone to do anything illegal.
    I very much don't care for your suggestion that I would promote this- which I didn't- but I won't engage with you on this any further. It is clearly illegal in Ireland. Thank you

It's just interesting to see how matters are dealt with in another jurisdiction. It may stimulate debate, which is always good

But this isn't the USA so why mention it at all? It's never going to be a solution in Ireland to barking dogs.

I was going to do up a detailed reply to the OP but I see they've been banned so I'll not bother! But I don't really know how anybody can sleep through barking dogs without reacting. The dogs could well be barking at an intruder or somebody trying to actually steal the dogs so it's in their own interest to see what the problem is. But then again, according to the OP they let them bark all day too:(

But this isn't the USA so why mention it at all? It's never going to be a solution in Ireland to barking dogs.

I was going to do up a detailed reply to the OP but I see they've been banned so I'll not bother! But I don't really know how anybody can sleep through barking dogs without reacting. The dogs could well be barking at an intruder or somebody trying to actually steal the dogs so it's in their own interest to see what the problem is. But then again, according to the OP they let them bark all day too:(

Well they're fair annoying. I was just wondering why it's allowed in the US? Is it because people over there could sue their neighbours over a barking dog and therefore people have to get this job done?
    No harm in bringing it up, sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Didn't realise debarking was illegal in Ireland, do you have proof of this just for my own eyes to confirm it's true? I have met one Chihuahua (in Ireland) who apparently had it done, but don't know if his Chihuahua was imported or even if he had him debarked in Ireland.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Didn't realise debarking was illegal in Ireland, do you have proof of this just for my own eyes to confirm it's true? I have met one Chihuahua (in Ireland) who apparently had it done, but don't know if his Chihuahua was imported or even if he had him debarked in Ireland.

I'm pretty certain. A phone call to your vets should probably confirm. I'm sure they'd refuse and probably get in a lot of trouble if they did a debarking job.
    But I can't quote the law on this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What are the laws regarding starting such a business in ones back garden?

Over here there's all sorts of licences and permits and insurance that are required. You cant just start a business with barking dogs n your back garden without any thought for the neighbours. Its a public nuisance.

I'd go and talk to a solicitor. Or even the guards

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What are the laws regarding starting such a business in ones back garden?

Over here there's all sorts of licences and permits and insurance that are required. You cant just start a business with barking dogs n your back garden without any thought for the neighbours. Its a public nuisance.

I'd go and talk to a solicitor. Or even the guards

You mind me asking wheres "over here"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I know of a husky here that's been debarked

• Advertisement
Advertisement