Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Soldier,Thomas Parker,Royal Irish Fusiliers,Kilkenny man.

Options
  • 22-07-2016 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I am seeking information about Irish soldiers who served in WW1, one of these was Private Thomas Parker from Kilkenny,he was wounded in 1916. I believe he was blinded during the war and he died in 1958 in Kilkenny City.Thomas was awarded the Military Medal in 1916 for an act of bravery at the second battle of Ypres in April 1915, I believe he may have been a stretcher bearer as he was wounded while attempting to help a wounded officer.If anybody has any further information,I would be very grateful if they could post here or else PM me.
    Regards,
    KK.
    PS,Thomas lived in Walkin Street, and would have had many relatives in Kilkenny.A book will be published in the near future recording all the recipients of the MM(Military Medal) and I wish to make sure that all the details of all Irishmen are included in the work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WDW1111

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Just an update on this, I found this in the Kilkenny People dated 7/4/1917.

Military Medal for Kilkenny Man.
    Mr Thomas Parker,Upper Walkin Street, late of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, has been awarded the
    Military Medal for bravery in the field.The deed for which he has been decorated took place when
    he proceeded under heavy fire to where a wounded officer lay between the German and British lines.
    He carried the officer to a place of safety,but had only done so when he was himself hit by a sniper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Since you have dates of the report might be worth your while checking the Kilkenny Moderator issues in Rothe House too for any additional info.

Advertisement