Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SEGA Mega Drive Game-Genie | Do codes work on all regions?

• 22-07-2016 7:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to get a Game Genie for my Mega Drive for a while now.

I'm going to end up having a few Japanese games in my collection and I was just wondering, would codes from a Game Genie work on a game no matter what region said game is from?

For example: say I had a Japanese copy of Golden Axe 3 or something, would a cheat from a European Game Genie work on it? Or would I need to get a Japanese Game Genie for it to work? (If it even exists, I don't think it does as I haven't seen it anywhere).

Or is this a silly question?... :o

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It depends. Sometimes the roms are exactly the same so they will work. Even if there's differences they might still work as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It depends. Sometimes the roms are exactly the same so they will work. Even if there's differences they might still work as well.

Sound for that.

I'm here trying to experiment with it on the Fusion emulator but because the thing is so open to play anything it's hard to tell if there really is a limit, because the Game Genie is built in.

I'll maybe buy one next week, because I will still be buying PAL games, it's just I wasn't too sure if I'd have to buy a Japanese GG for aforementioned JP games but I suppose I'll find out once it comes through the door.... But does a Japanese GG exist at all? I can't find one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh a game genie will definitely work on any game, it will even act as a limited import device, the codes just might be different. All the game genie does is mess around with the hex values in RAM.

Also stop buying overpriced PAL muck! (although I suppose megadrive isn't so bad for PAL games since most are unoptimised meaning a modded console will get them working correctly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Also stop buying overpriced PAL muck! (although I suppose megadrive isn't so bad for PAL games since most are unoptimised meaning a modded console will get them working correctly).

The Megadrive is one console I'll only buy PAL for. The alternatives are the awful quality Genesis carts, or the crazy money Jap variants. As you said, PAL is 60Hz'able on a modded MD

Oh a game genie will definitely work on any game, it will even act as a limited import device, the codes just might be different. All the game genie does is mess around with the hex values in RAM.

Ah that's good to know. I'll buy one within the next week or two.

The last PAL game I got was Mutant League Football at a car boot sale in Kilkenny :P I have actually ordered a Japanese Mega Drive should be here within the next few weeks (4, maybe) and I'm building a fresh collection of JP games. No reason other than 1: It's NTSC, 2: The box art of the games look lovely
    Myrddin wrote: »
    The Megadrive is one console I'll only buy PAL for. The alternatives are the awful quality Genesis carts, or the crazy money Jap variants. As you said, PAL is 60Hz'able on a modded MD

I have a PAL Mega Drive with a 60hz switch so if I do have to buy a PAL game I can at least play it properly.

There's only a few games I won't get in Japanese, like an RPG - wouldn't be able to read the thing. Most games no matter what region still have English text on the important segments, I believe, so that relieves me a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Fair play, the box art is indeed lovely on them. I think they command a high price over there because they're less common than the likes of Snes etc

Myrddin wrote: »
    Fair play, the box art is indeed lovely on them. I think they command a high price over there because they're less common than the likes of Snes etc

I only got attracted to the idea of getting one last week so I made my mind up.

And my birthday is on Thursday and I'm grateful to have a very generous family on both sides, so it's all gettin spent on as much Japanese games as I can fit, as a result I'm going for the really dear ones first.

I found Sonic & Knuckles for $65 w/ $5 delivery (I was initially committing to pay €100 before I saw it, so I was delighted)

I understand I'm gonna end up derailing the topic with this as I could go on for days about how excited I am to get this yoke :D :pac:

Thanks for the heads up lads. :)

Advertisement